“GREAT Location, Helpful Staff, Nice Breakfast ... Room - Just OK”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #48 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“GREAT Location, Helpful Staff, Nice Breakfast ... Room - Just OK”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Good:

The location can't be beat - walking distance to River Walk and sites alongside river. With good feet, you can easily also walk to Navy Pier or pick up the shuttle bus or take a hike up to the beach area. Only 2 blocks to Mag Mile. Nice walkable area and loads of restaurants, even the movie theater was only 2 blocks away.

The staff was helpful - from the bellman to the front desk (which is on 6th floor), to housekeeping, buffet restaurant area and maintenance staff.

Our room was in an excellent location- we could see the Wrigley Building straight out our window - loved it! Great to have 2 rooms. I didn't think the kitchenette was necessary for us, but we ended up really enjoying it.

Breakfast - included, was more than adequate. Yogurt, bananas, cereal, a few hot choices, waffle-maker, toasted items, all in a restaurant-atmosphere area (not a hotel lobby). Staff here was so friendly and cleared dishes as we ate.

Bad:

ROOM ISSUES: The toilet wouldn't flush properly and made noise as if running all the time. We called the desk and they attended to this while we were out, but the issue kept happening throughout our stay, so we gave up.

A handle on the bath faucet came off right in my hand.

The carpet was FILTHY. We wore socks all the time and my new white socks were dark gray after just a few minutes.

The ice maker in the freezer didn't work and there wasn't an ice vending area. I had to get a bag of ice from the front desk and it was such a hassle (remember the long lines!) that most of the time, we did without..

FRONT DESK: Front desk was understaffed every time we were in the area. Long check-in lines and typically 1 person working. I had to call the desk a few times for room issues and most times I had to wait on hold. Twice, I had to hang up because several minutes went by and they never came back. So, I'd go to the desk, but didn't want to bother them with a question, as lines were long.

Bottom line is that the location and view were great, as were the staff and the breakfast. If you DO stay here, check out all the workings in your room and move right away if you have issues. But, if our room was any indication, be prepared for dirty carpets.

Room Tip: Street side (front) has great views but lots of street noise. I'd still go for the view!
1 Thank Mary C
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Mary C,

Thank you for recently staying with us and for posting a review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was delighted to see that you and your family found the staff to be helpful throughout your experience with us. I was also glad to see that you all enjoyed the breakfast we offer and the in-suite amenities.

I would like to take a moment to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay. We will work as a team to ensure the issues are immediately addressed. We hope you give us the opportunity to create a great experience for you again soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
Reviewed May 20, 2013

4 day stay for business and pleasure with the family. With a family of 4 this hotel is perfect. Pretty much a standard Homewood Suites in the middle of Chicago. So, it isn't the hippest place on the planet but rooms were clean and spacious all at a great rate for Chicago. Breakfast is standard and had no surprises. Did not take park in the evening welcome dinner though. For me it was all about location. It's basically one city block away from Michigan Ave and everything you need is within walking distance. Shopping, restaurant and sites are very close. And to qualify this fact I was able to enjoy the downtown area with my kids ages 10, 8, 6 and 4 and it was very manageable. And to top it off my wife did it alone with the kids when I was out on business. I will definitely come back for more when ever we come back to Chi-Town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Gojadego,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. It made be happy to see that you felt Homewood Suites was perfect for you and your family. It really seems like you all had a wonderful experience while in town on business and pleasure. I was glad that the location of the hotel was very convenient for your family while visiting the many sites downtown Chicago has to offer: especially since your wife was navigating many of the visits on her own with your four children. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

While vacationing in Chicago for one week, we really enjoyed our stay and found this downtown hotel to have the best value for money (at 180$ per night). We took advantage of the complimentary breakfast buffet every morning, decent supper buffet 3 of 4 nights (offered from 5-7 pm Mon-Thur with all you wish to drink (Sam Adams) beer and red and white wine) and coffee available 24/7. It was centrally located; steps to the CTA's Red line, close to much shopping and many restaurants, and at walking distance from many attractions and grocery stores. We quite enjoyed the LARGE and comfortable King size bed, having a fridge (also had stove top and microwave) and the fact that the bedroom had a door to close it off from the living room. Rooms also offer free internet access and 2 flat screens (in living room and in room). Our room had a great view on to Trump Tower and was quiet. Dinner offerings are posted on the fridge. We also took advantage of the indoor pool and free internet access in 24/7 business center where we were able to print our return flight boarding passes and offered many attraction flyers. All staff were very friendly and helpful including front desk, doormen, cleaning and dining room staff. Upon arrival, our hair drier was not working and it was taken care of immediately. Valets also assisted us with booking a cab to the airport. We would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Chicago.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Grand Street have great view on Trump Tower
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CouplefromOttawa
CouplefromOttawa,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was delighted to see that you had a very enjoyable experience at our hotel. I was glad you found that we were the best value while visiting downtown Chicago. It seems like you were able to enjoy many of the hotel amenities such as breakfast and dinner as well as the amenities in your suite. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the very friendly and helpful team. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town.

Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Planned a long weekend to do all of the American Girl things! The hotel was great! No, it was not the RItz or Omni, but you could not beat the location and especially the staff! EVERYONE was so accomodating! I have traveled throughout the US and in Europe and have never been to a hotel where EVERYONE went out of their way to help in anyway they could. The breakfast was just as good as most hotels as you were not ordering off a menu. The girls were able to swim in the pool while we could watch them from the fitness center. My only complaint was the mattress. I do have back problems. For the price we were more than pleased.

1 Thank Marcie51
Disappointedfor35th,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I was happy that you, your daughter, and granddaughters had a great experience at Homewood Suites. I appreciate you taking the time to really highlight the accommodating staff; I will pass your compliments along to the entire team. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We hope that when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago, we will remain a top choice for you.

Hager City, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The Homewood presents a great at home feel, and is located in the heartthrob of Chicago. Great staff, great rooms, and perfect location. The rooms all include a separate bedroom, full living room, and full kitchen. Every morning the breakfast team is ready and happy to see you. Food is good. The nightly reception is nicely appointed, and includes a daily meal, plus beer and wine. Where else in Chicago can you get so much value with your room. Brian

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Brian J,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see that you felt Homewood Suites was your home in Chicago. It seems like you found that our hotel was a great value considering all the amenities we offer our guests. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We look forward to accommodating you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I were staying in the city for her birthday. We wanted something centrally located, comfy, but not too pricey or prestigious. Basically we wanted something clean, comfortable, and friendly. All of these expectations were not only met, but exceeded tremendously. The staff was incredibly personable and knowledgeable not just about their own hotel, but about most anything in the city. The room was spotless and had a magnificent view. Even the bed, which I often do not brag about, was remarkably comfortable. A great stay to say the least. Can't wait to return! :)

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor room. The veiw is worth it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jermaine S
Jermaine S,

Thank you for recently staying with us and for posting a review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was delighted to see that you found your experience to be perfect while staying at our hotel; I hope your girlfriend had a wonderful birthday. I appreciate you taking the time to mention that the staff exceeded your expectations. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We hope you give us the opportunity to create a great experience for you again soon.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Not much when it comes to healthy breakfast choices - eggs and oatmeal and overripe bananas. Unless you're into biscuits and gravy, and sausage and waffles. Sounds good if you don't care about getting fat and having a heart attack. Rooms need to be remodeled. Staff is friendly, however. Maid forgot to take away garbage in kitchen or replace the wash towel. There is laundry which is convenient although only two machines and one of them was out of order. It is a convenient location plus nice to have a kitchen; Trader Joes is only two blocks away. I probably would stay somewhere else if I came back as there are many other choices around the area. However, it is a Hilton so lowered expectations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
BytheBay94103,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I appreciate you for mentioning the friendly staff. However, I would like to take a moment to apologize for any inconvenience the breakfast or laundry machines created for you. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago.