“Wonderful staff”

Ranked #50 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Zama, Japan
“Wonderful staff”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My girlfriends and I make an annual trek to Chicago for the weekend. We've stayed here the last 3times. The service is consistently the best. Everyone is friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that the wifi connection in our room was awful. I think for the price, they should add a few nodes around the building.

Room Tip: We"ve never had a bad room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
gabriel b, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and appreciate you feedback about your experience at the Homewood Suites Chicago.
I sincerely apologize of the WIFI inconvenience caused during your stay.Your loyalty is our priority therefore our team is committed to make sure that we are all exceeding our guest expectations.
We take every guest feedback very seriously, hence, our management team are working diligently on resolving challenges pertaining to the WIFI.

Thank you again for choosing our Homewood Suites in Chicago and we hope we can assist you better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We arrived a little early, and were greeted by a very friendly and helpful valet staff. I had called earlier in the day and specifically asked for a room with good view if possible. This was even part of our original reservation, made weeks ago. More on this later. We had to wait until at least 3:45 pm for check in, so the valet staff took care of our bags until we were in our room.

In the main lobby, I wanted to relax for a bit with a cup of coffee. They were out of all three coffees - regular, robust AND decaf. I notified the guest services staff right away. Fifteen minutes later, they still hadn't replenished the coffee, so we went for a walk.

At check in time, I again reminded guest services of our request for a view. I was not asked about which side of the building we would like to be on if a view was available. We were just assigned our room without any regard to our request. We ended up with a nice view of the building across the street to the east. REALLY....? If a view of our choice wasn't available, it would have been nice to be made aware of that fact. Otherwise, they could have asked what side of the building we would like to be on. This may seem trivial to most, but it just shows a lack of communication between guest services and guest. Incidentally, the views looking south or west are the best.

The hotel's location is great. It's just a block and a half from the mag mile, the Navy Pier is straight down Grand Ave., and there are more restaurants nearby than you can imagine. We opted for Weber Grill, just a block to the west. The House Of Blues is also just two blocks away.

Dinner/breakfast at the hotel is a plus. We ate out the first night, but had breakfast both mornings, and dinner the second night at the hotel. The night we ate there was stadium food - hot dogs, potato wedges, etc. Breakfast is typical breakfast food - scrambled eggs, sausage, fried potatoes, a few cereals, bagels, waffles, etc. It's a good thing they have a person handling the multiple waffle irons. There was a waiting line at all three meals we ate at the hotel. Arrive early for breakfast if you want to avoid that, or arrive fifteen minutes before breakfast closes to avoid the crowd. They also need to do better at keeping the coffee supply filled.

The "stadium food" night brought oatmeal raisin cookies. YUCK! My son and I jokingly asked the on duty guest services rep when they would be bringing out the chocolate chip cookies! Marcus L. said he'd bring some up to us if we wanted. "Sure!" We replied. There was another party there too, and he took down our room numbers. Sure enough, although we didn't realize it until the following morning, he brought us a plateful of yummy chocolate chip cookies! Now THAT'S customer service!

I rate the hotel just above average because the staff really could have done better communicating with me during check in. A simple "there are no rooms available looking south" or (if available) "which view would you like?" would have made all the difference in the world. The room was generally too warm due to the fact there is not an HVAC unit just for each room, and we could not cool it down at night. The bathroom exhaust fan did not work, so it was very humid the whole time. Also the fold out sofa bed mattress was completely warn out and lumpy. The hotel did offer us a mattress pad to soften the bed for my son.

Would we stay there again? It would depend on the price. We may try something else the next time we stay downtown. Otherwise, it's a nice hotel for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a south or west facing room, if available. Higher floors have a better chance of getting on...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Canton, Michigan
Reviewed March 31, 2013

It was peaceful and the eating area was really very huge. The rooms had nice decor and the lobby was comfy. The people there were nice. I do believe they had a swimming pool and it was big. The view from the top was awesome and my sister said she had an urge to jump down, it was so high. Overall it is pretty good, nothing too negative.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank VarshaG551
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My family of four stayed in a king suite over Easter weekend. The room was clean and comfortable. Amer and the staff at the door are excellent at helping with bags, getting your car, calling for a cab, and giving directions. The breakfast was good but very busy. Go early!!! We loved our view of the city and enjoyed our stay very much. We will be back again!

• Stayed March 2013
First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and appreciate your positive feedback.
Thank you again for choosing our Homewood Suites in Chicago and we hope to see you back soon.
Gabriel Bouhdada- Assistant GM- Homewood Suites Chicago.
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went for the last part of Spring Break/Easter Weekend. This hotel is perfectly located...1 block off the Magnificent Mile, across the street from Nordstrums in the shops at North Bridge. PF Changs next door, Trader Joes around the corner, etc.

As noted by other reviews, the doormen are super friendly. We got a parking included package (valet, in-out privileges, for an extra $20 a night, can't beat it) and you pull up right in front of the hotel. Painless.

Check is in on the 6th floor and here is where one facet of the hotel begins to let you down...there are 2 elevators for 13 floors of rooms and it is simply not enough. You have to wait a long time and they are very crowded.

Room itself was nice, typical Homewood layout and quality, no complaints there. Carpet was clean, kitchen was clean, etc. However, the temperature controls didn't work....couldn't get the room cooler than 73 and that's with the AC set on 65....I like to sleep with it cooler so that was bothersome. The windows do open and that helped, but I had to shut them around 2 am due to street noise, which is expected in a city. Rooms themselves were quiet, didn't hear any hallway noise at all. Internet worked great.

Gym is tiny.....as in, get there before 7 am if you want one of the 2 treadmills, bike or the elliptical (all with broken TV monitors). That's it --- 4 pieces of equipment and some barbells. Pool is small also but adequate for kids, not really lap swimming. No hot tub. Towels supplied in both the pool and gym, which are both on the 19th floor.

Weeknight reception was big....hot dogs, fries, cookies, salad, you could eat dinner there if you wanted. The food area is very small and breakfast both days was a nightmare....line of 10-15 minutes to get into the seating area, then lines (and some shoving) around the buffet area. Both mornings, they opened up the conference rooms across the hall for additional seating (smart move) but even then, 10-15 minute wait (at 8:15-8:30 both mornings) and they ran out of food....ran out of yogurt, ran out of granola, ran out of apples and bananas, etc. Typical free breakfast, it was good. Waffle stand (3 makers going constantly) had a line as well.

We've stayed at Embassy Suites downtown and had a similar experience with breakfast. I think the downtown hotels simply don't have the capacity. There was a diner around the corner and I guess if you got too frustrated you could skip the free meal and go there but we thought it was fine.

Would we come back? Not for a holiday weekend. The crowds on Michigan Avenue got crazy by mid-afternoon (again, lots of shoving) and the crowds at the hotel, waiting for the elevator (and not getting on because it was full), made us think maybe we'll come back on a "regular" weekend instead.

Room Tip: Ask to be high up to lessen the street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Ashley97,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience the wait-time for the elevators created for you. As you mentioned in your review, downtown Chicago is extremely busy with tourists during Spring Break. We hope to accommodate you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Palmer, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I was greeted by friendly doormen, front-desk staff, and housekeeping staff. Everyone I encountered throughout my stay was friendly and helpful. My room was on the 15th floor and tucked away in a quiet corner. It was nice to come back to a suite where I could cook a meal, relax in front of a great flat screen TV, or sprawl out on a comfortable king size bed after the days at my conference. If I didn't want to eat in my suite, the hotel was within walking distance of many fine restaurants, or the red line if I wanted to go further. I had no problems with the internet and enjoyed the breakfast. This hotel would be perfect for families and individuals and/or couples traveling on business.

Room Tip: Room 1520 is tucked away in a quiet corner. You have a nice view of the city from this room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kbast,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was happy to see that you had a great experience at our hotel. I was very proud of the team when I read that every encounter you had with the staff was friendly and helpful. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This was the perfect hotel for us. We were able to take the Red Line from the Midway Airport to within a block of the hotel. The room was very clean and comfortable. The complementary breakfast was one of the best we have ever had. Most of everything we wanted to do was within walking distance. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
TonelocB,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I was pleased to see that you had a great experience at Homewood Suites. It seems like you were able to take advantage of the breakfast we offer and the wonderful location of the hotel. If it would not be too much of an inconvenience, would you be kind enough to “like” us on facebook? We look forward to accommodating you again when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago.