“Great Experience”

Ranked #49 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Great Experience”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is centrally located and within walking distance to everything. We were greeted by Noah, who was a great bellman. He was very informative about the area. Upon checking in, we were greeted by Starr. She was exceptional at her job and very friendly every day that we saw her. The breakfast staff were also very friendly and helpful. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Cheryl054,

Thank you for recently staying with us and for posting a review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience while staying with us. I was also glad that the location of the hotel was convenient for you while visiting the many sites downtown Chicago has to offer. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the friendly and helpful team. We hope you give us the opportunity to create a great experience for you again soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The place grew on me. I booked a smoking room by accident and it was not possible to stay in the room and they were very nice about trying to change it and gave me a better room without charging me. It is a very small suite, but it has a full kitchen so would be great for a longer stay. It was not possible to unfold the couch without rearranging the furniture which was a pain and the place was a little dingy with noticeable stains, but the king bed was very comfortable, great sheets and the free breakfast pretty good for the price. I think there is a free dinner too which we did not eat. The staff was very nice. WE moved to an Embassy Suites the next night, we needed more room, but it was $150 more dollars, worth it to us. So the bottom line, a good suite, would be hard for more than one person or maybe a couple, not someone sleeping in the living room....... not a good family place, just too small.

lifeisgood9999,
Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. I would like to start off by apologizing for not being able to accommodate you with a non-smoking room. I was however, pleased to see that you enjoyed the breakfast. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the nice staff. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you at the hotel the next time you are in town.

Essex
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was staying in Chicago for three weeks and this hotel was ideal as I had a suite which made it more like a home-from-home.
It is very centrally located, making it ideal for a tired business traveller needing to unwind at the end of a long day.
The thing that really makes this place though are the staff.
They are friendly, welcoming and helpful and always have a smile.
I would definitely stay here again.
I've only knocked one point off the breakfast as the re was no bacon (and I'm rather partial to a spot of bacon in the morning), but that really is a minor point.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CeebeeEssex,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our hotel and that we were conveniently located for you while you were in town for business. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Tried to get a room with two beds and they assured us that the foldout bed in the living room would be fine. It wasn't. The springs and ridges in the bed made me realize what a steak must feel like on a grill. Worst sleep I've had in a hotel for a while. Location is great, though, and breakfast was fine.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank FuriousToast
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
FuriousToast,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on our hotel. I would like to apologize for your uncomfortable experience while staying with us. We will discuss the issue as a team and come up with a solution to make our guests more comfortable when utilizing the sofa bed.

On the other hand, I was pleased to see that the location was great for you and that you enjoyed the breakfast we offer. We hope that when your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago, you will give us another opportunity to create a great experience for you. Please contact me directly and I will make certain we have a remedy for the sofa couch.

Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very happy with this hotel. The Staff, from the guys on the street level, the people on the front desk, staff in the breakfast and supper room to the room maids and maintenance staff, they couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. The location of the Hotel was also very Central to everything and walking everywhere was no problem. Breakfast choices were great and we very much enjoyed the "light suppers" from Monday-Thursday, the food was very good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Carol M,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at our hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your experience while staying with us at Homewood Suites. I was glad that the location of the hotel was convenient for you and your friends while visiting the many sights downtown Chicago has to offer. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the entire team and how nice and accommodating they were; I will pass along your compliments. We look forward to accommodating you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My mom and I stayed at Homewood from 10/19 thru 10/23 in a 1-bedroom suite. All the hotel staff from bell boy to front desk to service staff were extremely friendly and nice. The room is spacious and clean. The furniture is functional (Ikea like) and not high end. Some people may complain they were not to their tastes but they were more than good, and clean.

The location is great, close to Red Line and the river/water taxi. I requested a room with a view and I got an excellent view of Trump tower and others. We got there before noon and the room was ready and had no problem with late check out request either.

There was free in-room wi-fi, a full-size refrigerator, electric stove, pots and pans, knifes, coffee machine, and coffee/cream/sugar, and microwave.

I knew that hot breakfast was provided at the hotel. But at check in, the front desk informed me that there would be manager's reception dinner on weekdays. We ate there on Monday night. There was one entry, two sides (menu changes daily), rolls, salad (very fresh and crisp), soup, and desserts. Everything was pretty tasty. They also provided choices of wine and beer. Of course there was always free coffee/tea at the lobby.

We did try the famous Chicago hot dog at Portillo's and deep dish pizza at Giordanoss (45 min. wait for take-out order and 1.5 hours for eat in at 10 p.m. still). I hate to say that the hot dog was just a hot dog, nothing special/good. The deep dish pizza was a big let down. It was just a calzone in a pizza shape. For a small pizza, it costed $23. It was heavy (about 4 pounds?) loaded with cheese but it was not tasty. The pizza dough was dense and not like normal pizza dough with air bubbles.

Our hotel was 5 minutes away. When we opened the pizza box, the box bottom was a big damp from being in a plastic bag. The inside had green pepper and onion and was a big watery. I could hardly taste the sausage. The sauce was not tasty. The dough bottom tasted a bit uncooked. I only ate the cheesy filling and threw out most of the crust. It was a big let down.

My surprise find was a small Thai restaurant next to Giordanoss called Silver Spoon at 710 N. Rush st. I tried Pad Woonsen (there was so much meat that I'd rather swap for more noodles) and Pad Thai. Both were delicious and around $8, a price you couldn't find in this area.

The value of this hotel is so great and I would stay here for sure next time. Thank you Homewood manager for a well run hotel.

I also encourage people to tip dinning room staff too. They worked long hours and still smiled and seemed happy. With the money we saved on meals, we could afford to be generous and make their days happier.

2 Thank acknj
Achnj,

I want to thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed staying at Homewood Suites downtown Chicago. It seems like you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we offer such as the kitchen in your suite, the breakfast, and the dinner. I was also glad to see that the location of the hotel was convenient for you and your family while visiting the many sights downtown has to offer. I appreciate you taking the time to mention the extremely friendly and nice staff; I will pass along your compliments to the entire team. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Between the location, the friendly staff or the generous amenities breakfast, reception, complementary wifi, access to laundry services, the suites kitchenette - it was simply perfect for our 2 teenagers and 8 month old. We plan to visit again and would recommend this property to any prospective family travelers.

Room Tip: book early!! - the sleeper sofa isn't the most comfortable solution so plan to bring an air mat...