We have stayed at the Homewood Suites in downtown Chicago twice and it has become our "go to" hotel of choice now. We have stayed at a variety of hotels near/on Michigan Avenue and this place is the best value overall. Honestly, I don't know why they do not charge more for this hotel (anybody from Hilton reading this...pay no attention to that comment :-) ).
The first time we stayed here was Thanksgiving weekend of 2009 and found it very comfortable and priced very reasonably. The second time was this year (2011), again for Thanksgiving weekend. The Homewood Suites has a great breakfast buffet that never seemed to be out of anything even with the large crowd of families staying there for Thanksgiving weekend shopping and family get-togethers. Thanksgiving afternoon and evening was a special treat with a full traditional Thanksgiving buffet meal for guests...free! We had reservations at a nearby restaurant but canceled those and decided to try the buffet instead and we were pleasantly surprised. Granted, the food wasn't anything over the top, but was really quite good and they had wine and beer too. We really enjoyed the food and the opportunity to just chill out and have some family time over dinner. During a normal week (Sun-Thurs I believe) they have a dinner buffet for guests that caters to the business travelers.
As for the rooms, we had a suite that consisted of a living room area and kitchenette with a table and chairs that could be used for eating meals which would be great for families with children, but since we were there on "Black Friday" for shopping, the table got used for a spot to put all of the shopping bags. The sofa opened up into a sleeper and the separate bedroom had a king sized bed. The bathroom was adequate and we had good water pressure in the shower even though we were on the 18th floor. The place was very clean and each day the suite was cleaned and made up by early to mid afternoon.
No matter what hotel you stay at in downtown Chicago, everybody always complains about how much it costs to park your car. Yes, the going rate is usually $42 to $50+ per night but you kind of just have to accept that fact...unless you can snag the Homewood Suites deal that includes parking for $10! When you check the rates for the various rooms, make sure to look for the $10 parking suite deals. It truly is just $10 for parking over the price of the room. I think we paid $149.00 per night and that included parking, breakfast (full buffet, not just rolls and cereal), and Thanksgiving dinner! If you have ever stayed in downtown Chicago you know that is a great deal.
All of the staff were friendly and helpful and always greeted you upon entering or leaving. The food staff were equally helpful and were always checking to make sure we had everything we needed from the buffet.
As with any of the hotels during busy times, the wait for the elevator can get a little long, but that really only happened once or twice and the wait was much less that at the really big high-rise hotels on the Mag Mile. The location is great and only blocks away from Michigan Ave and a short walk to State Street and the Loop area.
We recommended this place to friends and they were not disappointed. We will be back next time we go downtown.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your downtown Chicago experience begins here, welcome to the Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown. Our location places you within walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, world-class restaurants and the infamous Chicago attractions. Where service is nothing short of extraordinary, the Homewood Suites family will welcome your every request. All of our guests will enjoy the following amenities,•Spacious, Newly Renovated two-room King suite with separate living, sleeping areas and fully equipped kitchens •Complimentary daily hot breakfast buffet •Complimentary Monday through Thursday Dinner Reception, meal with beer, wine and soda •Complimentary high-speed Wireless Internet access throughout the Hotel •Complimentary executive business center with high-speed Internet access •Complimentary cardio-fitness and indoor pool •Complimentary grocery shopping service •Complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate or cider all day long in the lobby •24 hour convenience shop •Hilton Honors Points -receive BOTH airline miles and hotel points for every stay with us. Check us out online for discounts and packages! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago
- Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown
- Homewood Chicago
- Hilton Chicago
- Chicago Hilton
- Chicago Homewood Suites