“Great Location”

Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
Ranked #70 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

We were kindly greeted upon arrival. Staff very helpful with restaurant suggestions. The structure is old therefore you could experience issues with your internet connection. Rooms are updated despite age of building. The hotel bar had poor service and closed early. However the wine bar next door was very nice.
You are walking distance to many restaurants, shopping, tour boats and nightlife. Cabs are readily available to the museums airport etc. My fare to and from Midway was around $30 one way. I would stay here again due to it's location.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Kamala M
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

We really appreciate your review. We’re happy to hear that, from the moment you arrived, our friendly team made sure you felt welcome and were able to be of assistance. As locals, they really do have some of the best restaurant suggestions! Speaking of dining, we sincerely apologize that you weren’t met with our usual high standard of service at the Crimson Lounge. We are happy your experience at Bin 36 was far more pleasing. We’re also glad you enjoyed our thoughtfully designed rooms, and we are very sorry if you experienced any issues with our Wi-Fi. We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you. Your satisfaction is very important to us. We’re thrilled our great location ultimately won you over, and we would love to see you again! A repeat visit would be a huge compliment. Thank you!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,196)

Reviewed August 18, 2014

Attending a regional sales meeting, the hotel decor is full of charm and reminded me of a castle. My room was quite small, however, very clean, quiet, and comfortable bed. Others in my group commented as to how large and nice their rooms were, you may want to make sure you don't get a corner room if there's more than one in your party. Walking distance to everything, the staff is very attentive. Our meeting room was well taken care of, lunch on site was good, breakfast was also good, not overpriced either. The location of this hotel is perfect, literally walk to almost anything, House of Blues is just out the front door, literally 100' away.

Room Tip: My corner room was very small
1  Thank Sheri S

We think our location is a winner too! Thank you for the great review, Sheri. We’re delighted to hear our decor made you feel like you were within the walls of a castle. There’s something so unique and majestic about that. We’re pretty sure castles didn’t have beds nearly as comfortable as ours though! We apologize if you were displeased with the size of your room, but we’re glad you found it clean, cozy, and quiet. We’re thrilled our fantastic team took such good care of you, and we’re happy you found our on-site dining to be delicious and reasonably priced. We hope you enjoyed some free time and entertainment at House of Blues next door, and we REALLY hope your great experience will bring you back to us again soon! We’d love to offer you another one, even better.

Reviewed August 16, 2014

I left a small bag in my room, but was full of items. I have called several times and have yet to receive a call back from lost and found. Twice the front desk has told me it wasn't turned in and told me that housekeeping probably threw it out. I find it hard to believe that housekeeping would pick up a bag full of something and not look in it, but rather throw it out. When I explained that to both girls that answered the phone neither one had a response. One tried to transfer me to housekeeping and when no one answered I was brought back to her. Again... she didn't know what to say. I can tell you that neither one of the girls knew how to apologize either.

My fault for leaving the bag in the bathroom, but shame on whichever employee helped themselves to my things. Shame on the hotel for not responding to my voicemail or my concerns.

Also, make sure you check your charges. I was charged for parking my car. However, I didn't have a car. The man I spoke to promptly removed the charge.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank G4004FYrebeccam
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Hello Rebecca,
We are sincerely sorry for the issues you’ve experienced. We want every guest to feel confident in the security of their belongings. We also apologies that you were not offered the excellent service we pride ourselves on. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@hotelchicago.com. We’d love to see what can be done regarding your bag and what we can do to make things right.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Not really a luxury hotel and not well suited for business traveler. Desk is tiny no free wifi in fact for a Marriott the wi if is expensive. Rooms are okay but mine had peeling paint. It was quiet and bed comfortable but many little things were lacking. The gym was small with not much equipment and the equipment was dated. Staff was pleasant. I got a great rate and it was well located for my business meetings. With so many other choices in this area of Chicago, I will try something else on my next trip.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Hello Statestreet96,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are very sorry to hear our accommodations and fitness center failed to impress you. We’re glad you enjoyed our comfortable beds and the peace and quiet our rooms afforded, but we apologize that the desk and Wi-Fi policy weren’t to your liking. For future reference, complimentary Wi-Fi is available in our lobby and to all Marriott Rewards Members. We’re happy you were pleased with our nightly rates and convenient location. We truly appreciate all your feedback, as it helps us identify areas that need improvement. The next time you’re in Chicago, we hope you reconsider and give us the opportunity to win you over.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

The hotel is in a great location...the heart of everything. The staff was amazing. The gentleman at the front desk went out of his way to make sure we were happy and had all of our questions answered. We felt very welcome and at home. When we came back from lunch he greeted us by name and asked how everything was. The whole staff went out of their way to make sure everything was great! If were walking down the hall toward the elevator they would hit the button before we got there. It was the little things that made the difference. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is starting to show its age a little.....but was very clean. The staff made the difference and wish I could remember their names.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MickN21

Hello Mick,
Your review made our day! We’re thrilled our fantastic team took such good care of you during your time with us. We strive to make each of our guests feel truly welcome and comfortable; we’re happy we succeeded with you. We’re also delighted you enjoyed our great location. We apologize if aspects of our hotel’s interior failed to impress you, but we’re looking forward to some exciting improvements in the near future. We hope you return to Hotel Chicago; we would love to see you again!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

I recently stayed at the Hotel Chicago and was so impressed with the stellar service, personal touches, and outstanding front of house staff that I wrote a gushing review to Marriott (I see the valet/bellman team is mentioned here quite a bit - they were seriously the BEST!).

Unfortunately, after returning home and receiving the invoice for my stay - I was shocked at the room charge of $100 more than agreed upon at checkin. When I called accounting to inquire about the rate change, I was laughed at and told that I should know that Chicago hotels are in high demand with rates to match and that I must be making it up. Apparently, the man who checked me in with the questionable rate is out for the next week, so there's "nothing that can be done." What?!

I'm a loyal Marriott customer, and a corporate meeting planner who frequently books events with Marriott (though I'll be rethinking that approach in the future) and I've never experienced this kind of disappointing service. The absolute lack of understanding and dismissive reaction to my inquiry definitely tarnished an otherwise excellent stay at a beautiful property.

2  Thank Kristin G

Hello Kristin,
We truly appreciate the glowing Marriott review you left us. Your emphasis on personal interactions with our friendly team generated several smiles around here. We are very sorry for any miscommunication on nightly rates or error on our part. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and frustration you’ve experienced, and we’d welcome the opportunity to make things right. Please reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com, so we can collect more information. We deeply regret our part in the recent phone conversation you describe, and we hope it doesn’t overshadow your wonderful experience at Hotel Chicago. Your loyalty means a great deal to us, and our team in no way intended to dismiss or diminish your concern. We want to address and remedy it, to ensure your satisfaction once again. We look forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed August 12, 2014

Arrived for a 2-night stay. Check in was efficient and I had my bags delivered directly to my room, which allowed me to meet up with a friend an afternoon bit to eat (I was short on time).

The restaurant sparkled, and had a friendly server. Beautiful marble check-in area. An excellent store on the main floor to eat, snack, and offer a variety of gifts. It was actually more than a store, as it had seating.

The hotel, itself, was classic and showed age. A little refresh on the hotel floors would have caused me to give it a fourth star. Overall though, a good experience.

Room Tip: Don't have a specific tip. This trip, the room was just for sleeping. Quiet... no noise issues.
1  Thank Andy E
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Hello Andy,
Thank you for the review! It sounds like you had a nice, quiet stay with us. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed a smooth reception, a wonderful dining experience, and a few of our convenient amenities. We appreciate all your feedback and will take your flooring suggestion under careful consideration. We are looking forward to some exciting improvements, and we hope you come back to Hotel Chicago to enjoy them. We would love the opportunity to really impress you!