“Great location”

Ranked #77 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Pleasant Ridge, Michigan
“Great location”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay this last weekend. I was there for conference so they gave us the wi-fi code free. If McDonalds & Starbucks can offer internet free, then so should a hotel that charges these rates. Our room had a small fridge mini-bar which was nice. I just moved all the snacks out & put ours inside. The bed was comfortable & the shower had strong water pressure. I like the in room coffee maker too- must have for me. All the staff was very courteous & prompt with service.

I liked the location of the hotel. We walked everywhere. We were about a 25 min walk from Union Station after our bus ride in. Grant & Millennium park were just a leisurely stroll away. Plenty of shopping & main attractions within a 10 min walk.

The conference facilities & food were fine too. Nice place for business or pleasure.

The only reason I gave not a 5 star was the price was high (room & parking) & small bathtub (too small to take a bath).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank ivsleep
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hello,
Our location always keeps us smiling; we’re thrilled you fully enjoyed it too! We’re happy the in-room mini-fridge proved convenient, the bed comfy and the shower water pressure perfect. We appreciate your feedback regarding our rates, parking and bathtub size. We carefully consider all our guests feedback in an effort to always improve. We hope to see you again when you next visit our amazing city.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Minnesota
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Everything went well and was great. The check-in was smooth, as was the check-out, the staff was friendly, helpful and attentive.

The hotel is located close to everything in downtown Chicago with easy walking, buses, trains and cabs right outside the front door. Access to Lake Michigan, Navy Pier, the Theatre District, Grant Park, museums, restaurants and entertainment couldn't be easier.

I attended a weekend meeting, the facilities were fine and on par with most any other location I've attended.

I was very satisfied with my visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank mn-ta
Hello,
All your location tips are fantastic, thank you! We’re happy you enjoyed our downtown location, service and meeting facilities. We’ll love sharing your compliments with our hotel team; we know it’ll make everyone smile. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Friendly at check in is a good start. Room was good size,facing the Chicago river. Bed was excellent, bathroom spacious. One slight towel problem was fixed in 10 minutes. Room was quiet and very comfortable.Easy check out with apple and coffee. This is an excellent property and we hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: try room 1105
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Hello Bernie,
We love hearing when our guests fully enjoy their Chicago vacation, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced due to the towel problem you mentioned. Thankfully, it sounds like our team was able to quickly remedy the situation. We’re happy you loved our quiet, comfy rooms and easy check in and check out. We can’t wait to see you again.
Chicago
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is in a great location and has some nice views of the Chicago River. The bellmen and front desk were friendly and helpful but we didn't require them to go out of their way. The parking fee was the highest I have ever paid but there were in and out privileges and they didn't require you to remove your car till 5pm on check out day. There was also wifi but we had to pay for it. We had a king sized room and it was very large with a nice large bathroom. The bed was comfortable and we didn't have any problems with air conditioning or noise from other rooms. The hotel is in good repair but the design could be updated. It's all very glitzy Baroque, which was cool and trendy about ten years ago. Now it just looks kind of silly. If the price was good I would stay here again but I also wouldn't be excited about it.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Hello,
Our location is a quality we love, and we’re always happy when guests feel the same. It sounds like you appreciated the great view of the city from your room, the room size and our cleanliness; thank you for taking the time to tell us. For future reference, Wi-Fi is offered for free to all Marriott Rewards Members. This free program offers great benefits throughout all Marriott properties. We’ll also take your thoughts regarding our décor into special consideration. We hope to see you again in the future. We have many exciting improvements planned, and we’d love to share them with you.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel due to a business meeting being held here. I flew into ORD and paid $5 for the blue line to Clark station, 2 blocks away. Easy walk to hotel. Ana at the front desk was very helpful and informative. Room on the 12th floor had a king bed with large windows. Room was clean and an average size unless comparing to Manhattan which would be billed as a suite! Facilities/Meeting room was well managed. Would I consider this a top notch place? Ehh. I received a military discount which made it worth the money. I get irritated at the large city nickel and diming me. Internet $17/d, parking $69/d, for ordering room service it's a 24% gratuity and $6 delivery fee added on to over priced food plus tax. Room safe is adequate for small laptop/tablet, but not a small purse. No refer. Hotel is surrounded by many other hotels, bars, restaurants and night spots. If I have another meeting here OR if there is a venue at the House of Blues I am seeing, I would stay here again. If this area of town is what you are looking for its a good option.

Stayed July 2014
Hello,
It sounds like you travel often; we hope you enjoyed your visit to our amazing city! Your transportation tips are very helpful, and we know future guests will be grateful. It’s good to hear that our cleanliness, room size and meeting rooms all met your expectations. We’ll take your feedback regarding the expenses associated with staying in downtown Chicago into careful consideration. We work towards always improving, and your comments are very helpful. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago.
Panama City
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We stayed at the (Sax hotel) Hotel Chicago after booking it through Hotwire. Upon arriving at the hotel we were told that even though we requested two rooms to accommodate 5 adults and 2 children we would have two rooms with a king in each and no cots were available. We had a confirmation from hotwire explaining that there would be enough beds to accommodate us all. Even though we didn't book directly with the hotel we expected to be looked after and I have never encountered this problem before with hotwire bookings. After a while a room with two beds one was found for us, we soon found out why the room was available. After returning to the room late that evening and after our children had fallen asleep on the make shift beds of blankets on the floor we found out the a/c was not working.
When we explained the next day, the gentleman was very friendly but struggled to give us something for the problem. Eventually we were provided with 5 breakfast tokens as 7 tokens would be too much! We will not be choosing to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank travellover37
Mark D, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Hello,
We’re very sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We’re unable to guarantee room types when reservations are booked through an outside booking agency since we don’t have access to their booking engines. We strive to accommodate room type requests whenever availability allows, and we apologize that we weren’t able to accommodate your requests. We’re glad that the gentleman assisting you was friendly, but we apologize that a satisfactory solution was not found at the time. We’d like to invite you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2014

The front desk didn't find my name. They said they would need a confirmation number and pointed at a couple of networked PC's. I was able to get the number and produced it to the clerk. She said that the number is not useful, she needs to see the entire e-mail. Luckily I was able to pull that up on my smartphone. She then checked me in very rudely. She even failed to show me how to work the keys. You needed one key for the elevator and an RFID key to open the room. I hadn't used RFID, but it would have been useful to tell me. I was able to track down someone in housekeeping how showed my the process.

I complained to the manager, and he was rude - as if I was trying to break in the hotel. He offered me a free breakfast. When I brought down the ticket, it was good for a waffle and an orange juice. I was very happy to get out of there after spending almost $300 for my one night experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank LawyerScientist
Hello,
We’re very sorry you were unhappy with your recent stay at our hotel. We want every guest to feel welcomed from the moment they arrive, and we apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We’re also sorry that not all staff offered you excellent and kind service. We’d love for you to reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com. We welcome the opportunity to make things right.