“Okay hotel- but definitely not a four-star experience.”

Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection
Ranked #77 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
USA
“Okay hotel- but definitely not a four-star experience.”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Before going any further, I should state that I was in a single queen room. I was originally slated to have a room with two beds, but requested a room with one bed, as I was traveling alone. All of the king bed rooms were already booked, and so the front desk staff (they were very nice) offered me a queen bed, but did tell me that the room was smaller. I said that was fine.

That said, my experience might be far different than that of people in larger rooms at this hotel.

The bed was very comfortable. The room, as I was forewarned, was indeed small, and the decor looked a tad bit worn (the carpet, however, seemed newer than the furnishings). But all of that would have been fine. What was problematic was the lack of thought and attention that went into the bathroom area. The sink/vanity (outside of the bathroom) had a recessed light above it that seemed to be a spotlight- and was the worse possible light to put makeup on under (it created all kinds of weird shadows and unnatural lighting). Completely unusable. Thankfully there was a full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door that I could use with a somewhat decent overhead light shining down on it. The bathroom itself was very small, with just enough room for the toilet and a small walk-in shower. But that in-and-of-itself was not an issue, either. But the shower head was truly awful. It appeared to be a rainshower-style shower head, but the way it was attached to the wall didn't allow for an even distribution of pressure through the head; some of the jets weren't emitting any water at all, and others were emitting so much that it was painful to stand under the water. Really. I am not exaggerating. I ended up stepping underneath the water just long enough to get myself wet, lather up away from the shower head, quickly go back underneath to rinse off, etc. It was awful.

I'm assuming that, based upon the other reviews, the majority of the hotel's rooms are much better than mine was. But when you advertise yourself as a four-star hotel, all of the rooms should be four star. Mine most definitely was not.

Now, to be fair, I did not complain to the hotel staff, as I was on a quick one-night business trip. The little bit of service I experienced (front-desk) during my 14-hour stay was very good, and the location was convenient. But I will stay elsewhere on my next trip to Chicago; there are many high-quality hotels in the area to choose from.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AhcGM, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
We sincerely apologize that you were unhappy with your stay. As you mentioned with your great compliments of our staff; we strive to offer every guest a wonderful stay, and we would welcome the opportunity to make things right. Please reach out to us personally at mdeinhart@thehotelchicago.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Chicago Downtown (formerly the Sax Hotel) last week and this week. I considered changing to another property this week because last week was just ok. This week is another story largely due to multiple positive experiences with Deshawn Benson, the Doorman, Bell Person and Customer Service Provider extraordinaire!! All I can say is WOW and I wish I had interacted with him last week. Deshawn always has a smile on his face and greets you (he did this consistently last week). This week when I arrived I was looking for a USA Today newspaper and after asking several employees I found out they didn't have any left (FYI - this property doesn't get anywhere near enough delivered on a daily basis. Several days last week when I looked at 7:30 am they were already out!). I thought I'd check with the Bell Stand in case they had one and that's when I asked Deshawn. He actually went to 7-11 down the street, bought me a paper and delivered it to my room and apologized for my inconvenience!! When I saw him the next day in the elevator he apologized again and asked to make sure I received my paper that day (I'm an elite member and my profile specifies I want the paper delivered to my door everyday). Again he had a smile on his face and interacted with other guests in an upbeat, positive, customer service fashion. I hope the Hotel Chicago realizes what a great asset they have in Deshawn. If I were the GM I'd give him a raise!

1 Thank Linda B
Linda,
Thank you for the amazing praise of Deshawn! We will pass along all your compliments to him; I’m sure it will make his day! I would also like to personally apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your first week at our hotel. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago.
Brighton, Michigan
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Loved our room. The beds are very comfortable. Aaron at the front desk is very helpful.The hotel is in a great location. Maria was so warm and friendly she made you feel right home. Already planning our next trip, looking forward to stay here again. Will be telling everyone how we know how much we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the awesome review! We are thrilled that you loved your stay with us and that our staff took excellent care of you. Your recommendation is the highest compliment you can give us - thank you! We can't wait to see you again!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Thank you to all of the staff. You made my stay in Chicago a trip to remember.
Maria was like having a personal waitstaff for breakfast.
Catherine was able to map out a walking trip that was perfect for us!
My next trip to Chicago, We will be staying at the Hotel Chicago.
Easy access to everything.
Michelle

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Michelle,
Your amazing review has made our day, thank you! We are very happy to hear that you loved your stay with us and that our staff made your trip even better. We can’t wait to see you again when you next visit Chicago.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Picked for long weekend for Easter. One of the top locations in Chi; close to everything. Halls and rooms nicely decorated; staff could not be more attentive. Elevator service was fast. I had unfixable climate control issues in my room; had to move. Then issues with TV remote, TV controls and movie service. There were multiple plugs in the bedside nightstand, but I found out next morning (too late) the wires underneath were cut. While I could have done without these hassles, all staff members bent over backward to remedy. Bin 36 is next door; do the breakfast as it was very good. I'll go back, no problem.

Room Tip: Best views are on the river (south facing) side. I could not tell much difference between rooms. Roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
AhcGM, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
We are very happy that our staff took excellent care of you and to know that you loved our location. We are very sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, and we greatly appreciate your patience. We can’t wait to see you again when you next visit Chicago.
Campbell, California
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I really like this hotel! The ambiance is unique and very trendy. The room is small and the check in process was a little on the slow side but the beds are amazing! And in the end, that's the most important part. Five stars for the beds and sheets.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cassie r
AhcGM, General Manager at Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Cassie,
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you loved our beds and sheets. We are very sorry that the check in process was a bit slow. We are continually striving to improve, and your comments are invaluable in our reaching that goal. We hope to see you again when you next visit Chicago.
Boston
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Central location new Marriott upscale brand
16 floors but hardly any views
Trying to be upscale like a Ritz but lacking in effort
JW and Renaissance are much nicer hotels for money and overall service

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank SommelierBoston
We are very sorry that you were not impressed with your recent stay at our hotel. We are committed to making Hotel Chicago better than ever, and we have some great improvements coming. We hope to see you again in the future; we know we can wow you with our improvements.