“Plan to come back as this is a great hotel location for downtown chicago area”

Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #103 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Orange, Virginia
“Plan to come back as this is a great hotel location for downtown chicago area”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed in hotel on Oct 26 and 27th with my sister and her friend in this hotels suite on the 11th floor at the end of the hall. Suite was nice except the bathroom was very small and when you took a shower the drain took for ever to go down. We would of called maintenance but we were in and out of hotel and didn't want a horror story of some of our valuables being stolen because with our luck maintenance would probably only come when we are gone.

Below are my pros and cons about this hotel.

PROS
-2 nice bedroom sizes
-Clean
-Fabulous Kitchen with stove, refrigerator, glasses in cabinets, forks in drawers, paper towels and the works
-View from the room we were in was super nice
-Front Desk personnel was super friendly when checking us in
-Concierge or staff that help guest with their luggage and get cabs are attentive/alert
-Beds are sooo comfortable, I slept like a baby both nights
-They have nice size closets in both rooms
-They were fast about handling any needs we called for
-They even referenced pizza places for us to order
-They had a adorable Halloween goodies (small decorated cupcakes and nice super large glass of water I think with lemons in it) near the checkin/checkout desk when we got there on the 26th but we didn't have time to grab anything but it looked good.
-Location was fabulous as it was walking distance to many of the key places we had planned to go to.

CONS
1) Movie rental is way to high, it was like $17 or $18 to to rent a movie and all the ones that was $8 bucks were lame movies no one has heard of and there was only 3 of them to choose from.
2)The free breakfast continental they served I didn't care for but my sister said it was better then the ones they have seen (they travel waaaay more than me). I thought eggs looked too watery and they only had sausage and ham, no bacon. The toaster looked old and one of them was smoking. The pan of potatoes that we saw had potatoes that were burnt. Was too crowded so i didnt get to warm my bagel as it was hard and frustrating with all the people and their kids trying to do the same thing so i basically only ate the blueberry muffin which was cold.

We will book at this hotel again though when my sis and her friends come back to chicago to visit but next time we will make sure we eat breakfast down the street and make sure bathroom tub is fixed and draining appropriately before going out any where.

Overall, this hotels room and service was real nice and memorable for us that I wish we had time to stay longer....:-)

Room Tip: Get Breakfast else where. Make sure your bathroom tub is draining fast.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed here for a week on business in September. I had a 1 bed suite which was on the top floor and huge, bigger than other Residence Inn's I have stayed in. Everything else about the room was fine, all pretty modern and clean. Bed comfortable. Bathroom was minute and really needed an update.

Lift was a bit on the slow side, I was out by 630 each morning so didn't encounter the lift delays other people have mentioned.

Location on the whole is really good, very quiet yet only a couple of blocks from the Hancock and Michigan. A little quiet for restaurants and there are few decent restaurants nearby.

Would stay here again without question

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jtravel1907
UK
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed for five nights in a one room suite (with a living room, kitchenette and sofa bed for our son). the location is perfect, just off the Mag Mile but in a peaceful side street. The room was on a high floor, so it was wonderfully quiet. The best thing was the spaciousness and the very comfortable beds. We could really relax in our room after a hard day pounding the streets! The service is genuinely friendly and breakfast is fine. Don't miss Carmen and Alberta singing their mission statement! There is a laundry room (you can get change and detergent from reception) with half hour wash and dry cycles, and the dryer actually dries the clothes in that time. Superb value and wouldn't stay anywhere else if I came back.

Room Tip: The one room king suites are excellent value and very spacious if travelling with one or two childre...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lindsy W, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to recognize Alberta and Carmen! These two ladies very much enjoy singing our mission statement in the gatehouse area, and have phenomenal voices to accompany the song. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed 3 nights at this hotel and the location is excellent. Minutes walk to the infamous Magnificent Mile and Oak Street shops. Oak Street Beach is also very close. Breakfast is great in the morning although get there early for less crowds. We had a one bedroom suite since we traveled with my Mom. She used the pull out couch but complained that the springs were uncomfortable. The front desk brought us a complimentary roll away which was better for her. They should put a mirror in the bedroom also instead of just in the hall outside the bathroom which would help in the getting ready department. Overall the location can't be beat if your main purpose is to shop, shop, shop!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kimmy0529
Lindsy W, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time share your feedback with the Trip Advisor community. As you mentioned we are the perfect location if shopping is your mission. We look forward to hosting families for the upcoming holiday shopping season.
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Reviewed October 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great location near Museum of Contemporary Art, the Hancock, Water Tower Place, Michigan Ave, and within walking distance to the Lake. The rooms could use renovation, but are clean and well-appointed. Breakfast is varied, if a bit institutional. Frequent evening snacks include wine and beer. For the price, great place for families.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lizingrid
Lindsy W, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review your most recent stay with us, we appreciate the feedback!
Haifa District, Israel
Reviewed October 10, 2013

i stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while at a conference. So here goes:

The Good:

Room was well apportioned laid out room structure, great to have a kitchenette with a proper fridge.
Bed was awesome
Gym was good, better than I expected.
Location to anything not directly downtown is excellent. I was able to walk to my conference the Sheraton through Northwestern in less than 10 minutes
2 blocks from the lake so if you wanted to run to take a walk, that opportunity is nearby.

The Bad:

There was no real working desk in this room. As a "residence" hotel, I get why this is but really, working from the bistro on an uncomfortable chair is not fun.

The previous post about the breakfast being pretty much a free-for-all is a good description.. it's winner take all. I stopped in, grabbed a couple of yogurts and a banana, ate them and then started my day.

My TV didn't really work and the lock on my door was buggered in some way that made it difficult to get in and out of the room. I spoke to the front desk about the lock, they said someone would come by to look at it, but upon my return, I found that nothing had really changed. I hope I don't get locked in tomorrow AM.

The UGLY:

PARKING: you can may $60 a day and get in and out privileges... or you can pay $4 per hour on the street to a maximum of 2 hrs at a time. Or you can do what I did: I paid for the first night of street parking til midnight (under $8) and left my car on the street until about 7:30 (for free) and then spent 30 minutes that night walking around the garages in the neighbourhood to find a better deal. I found a garage off lakeshore blvd and chestnut that is $30 for 24 hrs but no in or out privileges and that was the best deal I got. So if you don't need a car, don't bring one. If you need a car, be crafty about the parking.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Blair C
Lindsy W, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Good morning, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I wanted to take a moment to provide some information on the parking rates at the property and in the area. Our current overnight parking, with in and out priviliges, is 47$ plus tax. There is parking on the street behind our hotel, Delaware and Mies Van Der Rohe for 30$ plus tax, which does not include in and out priviliges. Also located down the street, two blocks, is the 900 N. Michigan Avenue Self Park, which is 40-45$ plus tax.

I hope this information is helpful.

All the best,
Lindsy
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous time (for short and long stays) over the last couple of years. I love this hotel! The location is superb, and close to excellent dining, shopping, and sight seeing. The staff are excellent and attentive. The breakfast attendant is warm and welcoming and remembers who you are, even if it has been several months. Every room I've stayed in has been comfortable and spacious. The beds are comfortable and large. The breakfast selection is plentiful and options for "grab and go," which I like. The evening reception is a nice option (not every night is this available, so check on the calendar provided in your room) for those nights when you need to stay in and work, or are watching your pennies. Although they don't have regular room service, they have an arrangement with a great restaurant around the corner, who will deliver and have it added to your hotel bill.
I use the gym regularly, and the equipment is always serviced, and has the latest technology. The view is awesome there. I have not used the pool.
Planning another trip in a couple of weeks, and looking forward to my "home away from home."

Room Tip: Choose the higher floors. The bell hops will hail a cab for you, but allow extra time for inclement...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We enjoy having you stay with us as your home away from home! Thanks for taking the time to post a review.