Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Ranked #104 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
New Orleans
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, amenities. The staff was very polite, friendly, helpful. The hotel is well-equipped and beautiful. There is no airport shuttle, which is a downfall. The location is great. Love it!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
kansas city
Reviewed July 8, 2013

this hotel was great! the location was convenient to everything. Walking distance to water tower and michigan ave. On weekdays they serve a light dinner with free wine and beer. You can't beat that after a day of shopping. The breakfast was also very generous with several hot items. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms are huge with a separate bedroom. Our only complaint about the room was that there was no mirror in the bedroom. With several people it would be helpful to have a mirror.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Delaware
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Convenient to downtown, shopping, and restaurants. Short walk to Michigan ave and Rush street. Easy access to the lake front park and a VERY helpful staff. The rooms are spacious and it it a wonderful perk to have a kitchen for leftovers and light meal prep. It was nice to have a counter area and stools for visitors to sit. The fitness facility is great for a hotel (bring your headphones to plug into your individual tv).

The only drawback was the breakfast - chaotic isn't even the word, they are simply not able to provide the amount of food needed for the number of guests staying. We decided to go out for breakfast on our second and third mornings. I recommend: Sunny Side Up - amazing.

Even though the breakfast was disappointing, the price and location are so good we will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Astoria, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The last weekend was the most disappointing experience I have ever had in the past 10 years of my traveling for business.

When I arrived on Friday evening the front desk person by the name of Jason didn't want to honor my reservation. The reason was that he wanted a proof that I work for my company. Since it was about 9pm and weekend, I wasn't able to provide that on the spot and he even several times asked me to cancel the reservation for me. I'm not sure why he insisted me to do so or if he wanted to give my room to someone else, but I didn't do it.

I had waited for about 2 hours and I had to take out my computer equipment, log into my company systems and get some kind of verification for Jason. About two hours later, around 11 pm, I was able to provide him with the proof. Having 7 hours of travel to get to Chicago for me and my party, this additional 2 hours of wait in the lobby was very exhausting. It was also quite embarrassing for me having other guests see us helplessly waiting there in the lobby with our bags and listening to our conversation trying to get Jason give us our room, and moreover embarrassing having my companionship going through that.

I have been 5 years Marriott platinum member, 2 years Hilton diamond member and one year IHG platinum member, and for the past 10 years traveling for work I have never been asked to show this type of proof for my rate. If it's a valid thing to do, I am asking myself why nobody else does it. Huge disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Edo M
Lindsy W, General Manager at Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. We do have a policy in place to check for identification when guests are booked under a qualified business rate. IBM, in particular, requires the hotel to ask for some form of id so they can accurately state their travel to a given area and even break it down by zip code. We are more than happy to check our guests in at our regular rate and simply modify the rate back to the negoiated business rate when an id or business card is shown. I am aware that our team has spoken with you after your departure and did honor the IBM rate for your stay. Please contact me directly with any further questions. Thank you again for taking the time to provide your feedback.
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This is really a great Marriott property. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were very clean. There is a lot to do within walking distance and there is a small store close by to by food. The hotel could improve their breakfast service however. It was ver chaotic every morning. They seemed short staffed and unable to handle the volume if people. Hence the four stars in my review.

Bainbridge Island, Washington
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here last week with the family and it was great. Good location just off Michigan. Walked everywhere from this location. Internet and breakfast included. Spacious rooms. Friendly staff. Really everything we needed in a hotel.

Room Tip: Stay high up if you do not like road noise.