“Uninhabitable”

Chicago Lake Shore Hotel
Ranked #156 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
“Uninhabitable”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This place is simply not fit for anyone to stay in. It's kind of remarkable how run down it is. I booked this hotel for a visitor thinking it would be cheap but at least decent, and we had to find a replacement halfway through his stay. It looks like an abandoned building from the outside.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 5, 2014

the hotel is in fact in hyde park but its ghetto. loud music, weed smoking & the staff is very nonchalant. My earrings came up missing after I forgot them. when I returned to my room for the night. I never expected to recover them but the hotel management never even offered an apology, not even a call back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Eulamac
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Were sorry to hear that you still have not recovered your earrings. In being here at the property for over 10 years I have never heard our property and neighborhood described as "Ghetto." I'm sure the President of the United States one of our neighbors will be pleased to know that you think his neighborhood is "Ghetto." Your persistent calls to the property at all ours of the day and night have been answered. The police were notified of your alleged incident and nothing further came of it. Were sorry this happened to you and hope you find your earrings.

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We stayed at the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel for a business trip to a show at McCormick Place in Chicago. The hotel staff was really friendly and we would like to give special thanks to John (our driver) Gabby and Shannon. They were always in a good mood and did also help us out in special occasions.

We would love to come back for next year's show.

Best regards,

S and M

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank tifugal
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

And price may be reasonable. But this is a motel. Carpet in my room didn't look clean. No breakfast service. TV in the room was analog and had not many selections. There are no eateries around within walking distance. Actually I didn't feel safe walking around. It should be OK if you have a car. But we didn't. Shuttle service to the UC Hospital ends early in the evening. We ended up using cabs for every commute to the hospital.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Thanks for your review. I know you arrived during the evening hours when it was dark. Not a lot can be seen but, just around the corner there are numerous restaurants and shopping available within walking distance. In fact about 25 restaurants are within 5 blocks of our hotel. During the day we do have a free shuttle over to the university from 8:30 until 6:00pm. Then there are several buses that go every 10 minutes or so and or taxi's that are always here. Luckily the University is only 5 minutes away. We are a full service hotel with a restaurant so no we do not provide free breakfast but we offset that with free parking that saves you about $40-50 dollars a day.

Thanks again
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2014

This hotel seems more like a motel than a hotel, however the staff is amazing.I was having a horrible experience getting lost via the train from the airport and then my phone died before I could get a taxi, when I finally reached the hotel 3 hours before check-in exhausted with no phone they let me check in early without paying the fee. I decided to venture out again and the ladies at the front desk (shannon and jasmine) went far above the call of duty and printed me exact directions to the bus stops and stores I wanted to go to including phone numbers to the stores and the hotel in case I got lost. These ladies made what I thought was going to be a disastrous trip into a pleasant one reminding me that there really are truly compassionate people in the world.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Jennifer C
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and there's a lot to be desired. First off, all the cab drivers know it as the Ramada Lake Shore Drive, so when you take a cab from the airport or anywhere else in the city, you'll need to tell them that. The hotel rooms need to be seriously upgraded-carpet is old and shabby and the paint is coming off the walls. The bathroom fixtures are very old however the shower worked very well. The carpet in the hallways is coming up and it looks like there's been some water damage in the hallways as well. Despite all this, the staff more than makes up for the hotel being so shabby. The were incredibly friendly, and were quick with recommendations for places to eat and things to do around the hotel. Hopefully they'll start updating this hotel soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TF04
adamse, Director of Sales at Chicago Lake Shore Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your visit. Good or Bad not everyone takes the time to review us. Yes, we just recently changed our name to the Chicago Lake Shore Hotel and the word is slowly getting out there. Many of our guests use the express shuttles at the airport rather than the cabs as 1.they are more affordable and 2. the flat fee doesn't change no matter what route they take and they know where we are. We are in the middle of a renovation and improving everything. Most of our guests haven't had the same experience as you had and I wish you had said something while you were here so we could of "fixed" things or at least offer you a better room. I apologize for that. Please keep an eye on our improvements as I think you won't recognize us when were done. Also yes our staff is great they really try hard to make your stay a great one. Thanks again.
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I have a child at UChicago and I have stayed here twice because of the price and location. But price and location are the ONLY decent things about this place. First stay I could not believe this was a Ramada - very run down and noisy and not very clean. I had always thought Ramada was better than a "no-tell-motel". I recently had to stay again and it has only gotten worse -The blankets had holes, the towels were ragged, etc. We couldn't even find it because it is no longer a Ramada! It had changed hands between my booking and arriving. The desk staff was nice and they honored my reservation -- but I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
I have heard that there is a new hotel in Hyde Park and that is where I will be staying on my next trip to UChicago.

Room Tip: Avoid if possible and stay at the new Hyatt Place for the same price.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent visit to our hotel. I wish I could have met you during your stay as I would have appreciated the opportunity to make things right. About 2000 family and vendors associated with the university stay with us each month and I would say most of them have a pretty positive experience. We are an older hotel but I'm pleased to say that we are also under renovation and you won't recognize the new hotel. Your right, their is a new hotel near us and we work together often and we both refer guests to each other. The new Hyatt Place's rates are generally running higher than our rates and parking will run an additional $40.00 per day which is why many people do stay with us. Again I'm sorry about your experience and I do hope you will check us out again.