“Perfect location. Perfect price. Room was clean.”

Inn at Lincoln Park
Ranked #146 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here while in town for a Cubs game. Perfect location and we parked overnight for thirty bucks, forty feet from the front door. It's not the newest hotel but the room was clean and staff was awesome. Very easy walk to Wrigley field. Starbucks next door. Price for the room was very reasonable. No complaints. We'll stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Gary G
innlp, General Manager at Inn at Lincoln Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted that you found us and chose to stay with us. We hope you will return for a planned and longer stay so you can take advantage all that our location has to offer. Paul Schoonover, General Manager

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Four of us stayed in two rooms in mid-July, 2013; we were just looking for a place to sleep overnight. The staff is very nice. The hotel is in need of a near complete overhaul. The lobby is okay, vintage furniture that's been re-done, kind of Victorian feel overall, air-conditioned. Elevator is clausterphobically small. We arrived late afternoon on a day when it was in the nineties outside, and despite having a reservation, the (very noisy) window air conditioners in our rooms hadn't even been turned on. We were forced to go out elsewhere for several hours to wait for the rooms to cool to tolerability. The hallways are NOT air-conditioned, are rather dark and musty smelling. Our King room was an adequate size, though oddly shaped. (I suspect the building was individual apartments at one time.) The furniture was 1960-ish, but there was a nice, large, flat screen TV. Don't be fooled by the "free wifi" claim .... The "free" wifi is as slow as dial-up and virtually unusable. If you want standard hi-speed, that will be an additional $10/day thank-you-very-much. The sheets were nearly threadbare & need to be replaced. The comforter was also vintage 1960. The bathroom was large, no vanity, just a pedestal sink; the sink & toilet were updated, but the bathtub was seriously original, as was the floor and wall tile. The shower leaked like crazy at the joint, I suspect back into the wall as well. The entire breakfast room, although remodeled, was also air-conditioned by a single window A/C that was having a hard time keeping up, because they had the door to the UNairconditioned hallway standing open. Breakfast was standard continental - sweet rolls, bagels, dry cereal, formerly frozen toaster waffles, coffee, juice. The only protein I saw was a tray of hard-boiled eggs. There was no fresh fruit. If you want to park on site, it's an extra $30/ day with in-out privileges & a guaranteed space. Or there's a parking garage a block away; not sure what it costs. Checked out the Days Inn down the street while we were there; nice, newly remodeled. That's where we're staying next time (for the same price).

Room Tip: Ask specific questions about what's important to you; don't assume.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Red_Hibiscus51

Our owner is very committed to continuously making inprovements to our hotel as well as ensuring that he has the right team in place.Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and given the team the opportunity to improve in the future. I assure you we have implemented measures to prevent this incident from recurring with any of our guests in the future. Paul Schoonover, General Manager

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel is a dive. There were cobwebs in the window sills, half-inch thick dust on the floor behind the nightstand, holes in the box springs, a poor continental breakfast, and, to top it off, no hot water. If there had been other accommodations available in the area, I would have checked out immediately.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thanks again for your feedback. I apologize that your stay with us this time was disappointing. I have shared the comments with our owner and our staff. We our committed to giving excellent customer service as well as making sure the quality of our hotel is up to a high standard. We are aware of the furnishing in a few of our rooms that have had more wear and tear then others since our renovation in 2008 and we are diligently working to get cushions as well as other furnishings replaced. Paul Schoonover, General Manager

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have never given a hotel a bad rating so this is a first. The hotel is plain old and tired. It needs a complete renovation except for the lobby, it was quaint and a nice entrance. I would expect to pay less than $39 a night for a hotel of this quality but we spent our time in Chicago during the busiest weekend of the year and paid $240 including tax per night. It was the only hotel under $250 in the area. Supply and demand drove the price up. The location is fantastic and that is probably what keeps this place open since there aren't many hotels in the Lincoln Park area. If I were to do it again, I would have stayed in the North Michigan Ave area and taken a cab up to Wrigley Field versus walking there. The room is something out of 1950, which is fine if it was nice. The comforter on the bed must have been 10 years old and the beds were small and hard as a rock. My friend that is about 6 ft tall slept with his feet hanging off the edge of the bed. It was pretty funny to watch! They have a continental breakfast that wasn't too bad, adequate to start the day but nothing spectacular. The air conditioning is a window unit but it worked fine. When we arrived, the bathroom was a little dirty and hair all over the toilet from the previous guests. The door to the bathroom didn't close without haven't to push really hard so it was difficult to close the door at night without making a bunch of noise. When we checked out is what put the nail in the coffin. We were given a bill for $120 for parking. You have two options at the hotel, park in their lot for $30 per night or about a block away at a mall for $15 a night. We had three cars the first night and one the second night. Our bill should have been $75 based on where we parked the car. The person at the desk was not apologetic at all and barely helpful. We finally got things squared away (we think, going to check the credit card) when we went to exit the parking garage. We couldn't get out and the garage said we owed $50 for two nights. When we went back to the hotel, they told us we should have moved the car in under 24 hrs to get another ticket for the second night. The discount they have for 15 dollars only works if you move your car every 24 hrs and get individual tickets for each day. The person that checked us in did not mention this and told us that we didn't have the in and out option. We did find a sign on the front desk mentioning this but no one would have read these signs off to the right of the desk. It was completely ridiculous to not make this clear to anyone parking in the garage. The person at the desk would not refund our money and we were tired of dealing with it so we left and paid the extra $20 that we should have owed. We didn't let this hotel spoil our weekend but we learned a lesson to never stay there again, that is for sure! I would be happy to answer any questions.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank markmoose1
innlp, Manager at Inn at Lincoln Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

We apologize about your previous stay with us. Our comforters and chairs are out of date. We are in the process of renovations and will be replacing our rooms with the new mattresses, box springs, comforters as well as any furniture that need replacing. We hope that next time you are in town, you will stop by to see what we have done to correct many of the issues you had.
Thank you. Paul Schoonover - General Manager

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I spent 3 days there on business in the neighborhood. Because it was last-minute I had few lodging options to choose from. Believe the negative reviews, I experienced all the deficiencies others have noted. Very outdated furnishings, a/c very noisy (bring earplugs), shower water pressure was good, but temp fluctuated constantly between ice cold and scalding hot, painfully slow free internet (but speeds up nicely when you pay the $9.95 per day), a very limited breakfast buffet that did feature ants enjoying the dispensing spout of the juice machine. The only "good" thing was the HD TV. I can't say the price was any bargain even though I bought on a room consolidator's site. Friendly staff? Yes. But smiles only go so far. The building has serious infrastructure needs that will take years to remedy, despite what the GM responds to these negative reviews.

Room Tip: good room? I don't think there are any!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
innlp, General Manager at Inn at Lincoln Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

We want to take time to apologize for the issues that you had while staying at the Inn at Lincoln Park. We are scheduled this fall to change over from window a/c units to a central heating and air. Our internet is free, I am not sure where you seen 9.95 but our high speed internet is always free to our guests. We called an exterminator to check our breakfast room for ants. We deeply apologize for this issue. The General Manager is working to correct the issues and due to being in our busy season cannot schedule renovations until fall. Thank you for visiting us and revisit us again after the renovations to see all our exciting changes.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Small, clean and charming, affordable and in a great location near the water in safe and nice urban lincoln park. Close to diversey harbor, 15 minute walk from wrigley field, near a starbucks and Walgreens and lots of shopping in case you forget anything. Tons of great ethnic affordable restaurants, this place can't be beat.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa O
innlp, General Manager at Inn at Lincoln Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

We appreciate your comments and your review. We are an older hotel but the location is the best location in the Lincoln Park area. We are very happy that your visit to Chicago and our hotel was good. We invite you to visit us again in the late fall or early next year. We are planning on our renovation to start in November. We will be very excited to have you return and let us know what you think of our new look. Thank you again. Paul Schoonover, General Manager

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel was convenient to my business venue and I was expecting a vintage boutique hotel for the price I was paying. Quaint lobby, so I couldn't wait to see the room. Basically, I assume homeless shelters offer better amenities. I had only dropped my bags in the room before departing to my afternoon meetings and then dinner. I arrived back at my room at midnight and looked for the AC. The unit was a very noisy window conditioner, but the room definitely needed some air circulation so I grin and beared it. The next morning I woke up and turned on the hot water tap in the sink, only to discover only a tiny trickle came out. I then turned on the hot water in the shower and discovered that only a trickle flowed there as well. The cold water tap offered good pressure, so I had to alternate between mostly cold and a little bit of hot to rinse off. Thankfully I was checking out that morning. Reception didn't even bother to ask how my stay was- I assumed they knew. I definitely would not recommend this place. Also there was a stray hair on my bath towel- not one of mine.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jesse A

We would like to apologize for the issues you experienced while visiting the Inn at Lincoln Park. We are so excited about our upcoming renovation to correct the issues that you had during your recent trip. We invite you to visit us again in the late fall or early next year. We will be addressing many issues that our guests have brought to our attention. We appreciate the time you took to let us know about your visit. Thank you. Paul Schoonover, General Manager