“Never again”

Inn at Lincoln Park
Ranked #148 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Air conditioning was out for the two days I stayed in this hellhole. WIFI also was not available either night with numerous excuses given. Could't sleep because of the heat amd couldn't work with no WIFI.

Manager never returned call one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We liked the Inn at Lincoln Park for several reasons. First, it is ideally located for our needs. Second, it actually has a parking lot. Yes, it is first come, first served. But during our stay there was only one evening when the lot was full. I hope that remains the case when we visit again. The staff is great; friendly, welcoming, helpful and willing to take care of anything you need. Loved the microwave and small refrigerator in the room! Our room was small, sure. But when we closed our eyes to go to sleep we did not notice the size. I read that the hotel was scheduled to undergo a renovation beginning in January 2012; our room must not have made the list because the bathroom had issues. The wall tiles in the shower were cracked along a line midway all around the shower. The crack had been patched a long time ago but has not seen renovation - yet. The tub fixtures also were quirky, with the low water pressure you would expect from an older hotel like this one. But the shower was adequate and water temperature and pressure were satisfactory for us. More picky clientele might expect better.

We were not fond of the bed. Firm is one thing, but this one was unusual in a way we cannot describe. Okay for one night or two, but not for an extended stay. The mattress, at least, should be replaced. Finally the TV set had a serious problem with sound, but I suspect not the fault of the TV itself or the hotel, but rather the cable or satellite company that serves the hotel.
Not that we watched that much TV, but on some Chicago channels the sound would start normally then trail off to a level that could not be heard over the air conditioner fan. Wait a few minutes for another segment to start, or a commercial break and the same thing happened. Very annoying. This was not the case on HBO or a few other channels. One of the worst was the Weather Channel and at times WGN and WLS. Very inconsistent, very annoying - but as I wrote, I think blame goes to the media provider, not the hotel. We included this observation in a note to the hotel as we checked out. And yes, we will stay here again. Convenience and overall amenities will bring us back.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs and obstacles, be on notice that the rooms ending in "09"...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Innealtoir
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I arrived at Union Station at 11 in the morning and check in for hotel's isn't until 3pm. So I went to Al's Beef for lunch and then to Barnes and Noble to use my laptop and while there was looking for a hotel. I did some searching because the Holiday Inn I usually stay at was $209 the the night's that I was there and I knew I could find a cheaper hotel. Knowing which area's to avoid in Chicago is a good thing and being from the Chicago area I know most of those areas. So I came across Inn at Lincoln Park and I didn't think anymore I took the Brown line to Diversey and walked the 3-4 blocks east to the hotel. I walked in and asked for a room for three nights and the lady at the desk was helpful and gave me an economy room, at first I couldn't find the room as I took the elevator to the 3rd floor and looked twice wondering where the room was so I was about to go back down to the front desk and tell the lady that I couldn't find the room, I decided to take the stairs and once I got to the stairs my room was in the middle of a hallway in the stairwell which I didn't mind. I went into the room and it was a very small room, but I didn't mind that either, it had a bed, a chair on the side of the bed and a table next to the bed, with a walk in closet, very small bathroom and a flatscreen TV mounted on the wall. I am a huge White Sox fan and came into town for a series and enjoyed my stay at Inn at Lincoln Park. It's an old building and shows it's age but it's not bad at all.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank yankee79
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed here because we had friends living in the area. This place is very small, old and outdated. The room was like a dorm room small narrow and two small baths on each side of the room. Old and dirty not kept up at all! The worst part was parking, they said it would be $15 a night if you weren't going to use your car. Upon checking in they explained they partner with a garage around the corned down the block, you would need to move it within 24 hrs and re park to get the $15 rate. We were already in the city and wouldv'e took time and money to get back and move it so I called to find out any other options. The EMPLOYEE that answered the phone said that we didn't have to move it, it would only cost $22 if we kept it there. We thought that was worth the time/effort & money to keep it for a couple extra dollars. When my husband went to get the car out of the garage he couldn't leave until paying $44 to the garage along with the hotels charge. I told them this is why I called to avoid paying the garage and the EMPLOYEE was the one telling me it would only be $22, clearly she shouldv'e known the garage was going to charge but chose to leave that out until it was already done then she kept telling me the correct info about parking! What a scam! Dirty old and dishonest!! So not worth it!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Have read other reviews and not sure why people would find the lift size and room size and friendliness of staff an issue. This place is fine! The staff were very friendly with us, the room was plenty big enough for us (although we are from London so perhaps used to a different scale!) the lift may have been small, but who cares!!! Our family of 4 could fit in plus one or two and it never needed to take more than that! Nice to have a fridge in the room and beds were comfortable. All in all a good place and v good value for money given the location it's in.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We stayed here for a night while visiting Depaul U. The hallways were tiny. The elevator barely had room for three people and carry-ons. Our room was odd. Two double beds, two large closets and two tiny bathrooms. Furniture was nicked, The doors on the bathrooms could not open all the way due to hitting the commode. The tile in the one bathroom looked like original tile and was cracked. Windows were dirty. No drapes, just thin curtains. View of pigeons on roof of adjacent building no more than10 feet away.

It was otherwise clean, but not professionally maintained.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night during the weekend of June 23rd. The hotel is located on the edge of Lincoln Park, walking distance from the zoo, Wrigley Field and transportation. There are several restaurants within walking distance as well. The hotel is very old but seems to be well kept. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We arrived earlier in the morning, several hours before our check-in time. They pre-registered us and allowed us to obtain our parking early so we had a place to park before our room was ready. The room was very tiny will a full size bed, two bed side tables and a flat screen tv on the wall. It had a walk-in closet and a tiny bathroom with a full tub, shower and sink. The door to the bathroom would not open all the way because the toilet was directly behind the door. It did not have the greatest view but we was not there to sit and look out the window. The room was very clean and had enough amenities to accommodate our one night stay. They offer a continental breakfast in the morning with juices, milk, coffee, yogurt, assorted dry cereals, pastries, bagels, and toaster waffles.
To end, by no means is this a 5 star hotel or even close to a Hilton. Probably closer to a Best Western but much older. The hotel is very old and decor is very outdated but adds a lot of character to the building. If you need a nice clean place to stay for a night or two, this would be a great place. It might get a little cramped if you were staying longer or if you have more then two people.
The price point was on the lower end of the other hotels that we looked at. Just remember that this is Chicago and you get what you pay for. If you have high expectations of getting the royal treatment for very little money, it is probably not going to happen!

Room Tip: The Hotel does allow pets. We were able to here a dog whimpering during the day but things were quie...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple