“Very nice hotel with easy access to Wrigley Field”
Review of Majestic Hotel

Majestic Hotel
Ranked #77 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 6, 2011

I learned of this hotel while preparing for a business trip to Chicago. My colleagues and I wanted somewhere that had easy access to Wrigley Field since we planned to attend an evening game while there. I believe the Majestic was the only hotel within walking distance of the ballpark that got decent reviews.

We were not disappointed. Transportation from O'Hare was easy enough: get on the Blue Line of the "El," get off at Addison Station, then take the 152 bus east to Pine Grove. The Majestic is perhaps a half-block away.

Check-in was easy and fast (we had made reservations earlier the week before). We got to our rooms, cleaned up, then headed to Wrigley Field.

The walk to Wrigley is easy, and at no time did we worry about safety. (Admittedly, it was three men, but the neighborhood where the Majestic is located is fairly affluent residential, and also there is a police station close by. Walking back (around midnight) was also fine. I slept fine--though I had been awake since 4 am, so I was pretty exhausted.

The one negative was the poor breakfast. It is your run-of-the-mill continental breakfast, bad coffee and all. They could pay more attention to this service.

Other than that, the Majestic met our needs: clean, comfortable room in a safe location within walking distance of a national treasure, Wrigley Field.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CamAndPhoebsDad

Reviewed April 21, 2011

My friends and I stay at The Majestic Hotel while we attending a Cubs game. We all enjoyed our experience. The location was great, walking distance to Wrigley Field, Wrigleyville, and the lake. The front desk staff were very helpful in suggesting different restaurants to try and bars to go to. The lobby has a very welcoming feel and the breakfast was perfect. The room was very clean and the honor bar and basket items were reasonably priced. Overall, the experience was great and fit our needs in Chicago and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2011

The Majestic looks great online. Nice looking rooms, decently located, pretty good rates for Chicago. Actuality is the hotel is tucked way down in-between high rise buildings. The first floor rooms are numbered in the 400's to give the allusion that it is a real building. The rooms are just as cramped as the building is. Our double queen room was barely 20 x 20, and all crowded with odd furniture. There were TWO refrigerators in our room...and the hotel is bragging about how green it is? Which leads me to my biggest gripe with this establishment, which is the manner in which the staff behaved towards their guests. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a bellhop who was indifferent about helping with our luggage. Ummm.....do you work for tips? He asked me if I wanted help at the front desk and I told him yes, we would need a luggage cart brought to the front of the hotel. Because the lobby of the hotel is actually underground, due to above mentioned architecture, the bellhop informed me that they couldn't get their luggage carts to the front door because of the flight of stairs leading to street level. OK, so I just carried all our luggage in- four trips. The bellhop just watched....The desk attendant informed us about their "green" policy for washing towels, which is basically that they don't come into your room and switch out your towels during your stay, unless you ask for clean towels. I said to just leave our towels (and room) alone for our stay. However, this was not communicated, and housekeeping entered our room the next day and cleaned it while we were out on the town. Normally I would be ok with this minor mix up, but not only did they clean our room, they took the liberty of moving our personal items, such as our snacks on the kitchenette, and removing what they considered "trash", which included various newspapers and bags/boxes we had from shopping.....ummmm thanks for checking in with me on that, housekeeping. Feel free to just drop in anytime...The hotel was noisy all night, as there are concert venues nearby and lots of people coming and going from these and bars. The staff accused us -twice!!!- of smoking in the room, which was untrue and unfounded, and they actually entered our room twice during our stay to "check" for smoking. By the way, you sign a $200 cleaning-fee-for-smoking contract when you check in. So obviously, we would not smoke in the room. The hotel did smell like smoke all the time, mainly because of all the concert kids out in front smoking. Everytime the front door opened, the wind carried it in. I was absolutely insulted and infuriated by these "room checks", like I was living in a dormitory. I am pretty sure that the Majestic uses this a way to increase revenue- a nice surcharge on your bill based on nothing. They did not charge us, and although they accused us it was obvious that we had not been smoking in the room, therefore the matter was dropped....until we tried to check out, and the manager made us do a walk through of the room to check for smoke. Absolutely ridiculous. Again, no smoke, ashes, cigarettes, rolling papers, nothing... just a stern warning that they dont allow smoking here. Yeah, we got the point when we signed the contract! Ughhh....I love Chicago, I travel there for leisure and business all the time, and I will never stay at the Majestic again. You shouldn't either, honestly.

Room Tip: Book in advance for cheaper rates
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank silentstill
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Hotel: Not new or large, but very nicely updated. Free breakfast was adequate, but limited. There is a nice sitting area were breakfast is served, but it's not a great place to eat, so just take it back to your room. Elevator is tiny, maybe the smallest I've ever seen.

Room: Nice suite with separate living and sleeping areas and a kitchenette. Flatscreen TVs in both living and sleeping rooms, free wi-fi, separate in-room honor bar with additional mini-fridge. It was very homey and comfy! Unfortunately we could hear the neighbor snoring.

Location: If you are looking into this hotel for a Cubs game, the answer is YES. We walked west on Addison to Clark St. a couple times and it took 10 minutes. If you need the EL, it is there too. If you don't want to walk, the 152 bus takes you right there.

There are a couple grocery stores, a couple convenience stores, and quite a few restaurants and shops within walking distance. Walk east a half block to Lake Shore and you can hop on the 146 bus to the Mag Mile, Downtown, & Museum campus.

Parking: It's Chicago, so parking on the street is a challenge. If you can't find a spot, park in the garage on Addison. It is valet, so unload your stuff at the hotel unloading zone first. You can pay for the parking garage at the hotel and get in-out privileges.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2011

Stayed here for my first few nights in Chicago on recommendation from a friend. I was disappointed when I pulled up late at night because I couldn't find where to park, thought that there was nothing around the hotel (middle of nowhere, etc.), but my opinion completely changed. First, there was hot coffee and a selection of teas available late at night (cookies too, but I didn't try any of them so I can't report). I went in (twice) to the extremely friendly and helpful night manager who explained (twice, and patiently - I was tired...) where to park my car. I went out for a walk and found that the hotel is 1/2 a block to the beautiful lake, less than 2 blocks to restaurants and bars in a lively area, and 1 block from a really great gym (free for hotel guests). That the hotel was on a quiet, residential street was actually a nice bonus because it provided a quiet reprieve during an otherwise very hectic week!
It is a small, boutique hotel (very Euro-style with strange narrow hallways to rooms, etc., but that really just adds to the character) with an equally teeny elevator that I could barely fit my suitcase in (which may be more of a reflection of my own packing than on the hotel). The rooms are also small, as several other commentators noted here, but that's not really an issue when everything is nicely appointed and otherwise comfortable (it's a hotel - I'm not buying it for storage space!). I stayed in a king sized bedroom, but I heard that the suites are quiet large, featuring a little kitchenette and separate living room area. My bed was so comfortable and soft with down pillows and the plushest blanket I have ever encountered in a hotel on top of the bedspread (available for $70 in the lobby downstairs). The basket of goodies and wine selection was a nice added touch and pretty reasonable ($1 for a little packet of cookies/ sweets and $15 for a nice bottle of wine - I had a bottle of the Sterling Merlot, and the wine glasses and cork screw were convenient too...I've been in several hotels where there's wine in the mini bar and no wine glass, so I figured someone else may appreciate this note).
The bathroom was very quaint in a shabby chic kind of wine. I thought it was quiet pretty anyway, and I really appreciated the higher end quality of soaps and bath products with their own little dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the shower itself (no little minis to take home!).
What I didn't like: the ceiling wall seemed very thin, and I could always hear the person upstairs walking around, coming in, going out, etc. It was much louder than anything I've heard in any other hotel. The breakfast featured a good selection of yogurts and a couple of cereal boxes, but there weren't any healthy bread options (just white bread, white bagels, sweet muffins, etc.), and I would have appreciated some kind of whole grain or wheat option. The internet was pay per day (I think $10), and parking was $22 per day and not particularly convenient. It is valet only and you really need to allot 10-15 minutes to wait for your car each time.
Overall, if I were to stay near Wrigley Field or if I wanted to stay near a more diverse, quaint part of Chicago than the city, I would consider the Majestic first. It's convenient to downtown if you have a car (just straight onto lakeshore and you're there in 5-10 minutes) and pretty convenient to any train station. The hotels downtown are much more expensive, though there is a phenomenal selection of very upscale hotels (The W, The Drake, Trump, The Wit, Palmer House, etc.).
If you are coming to this part of town though, I will do a plug for the place I did a short-term contract on: www.wrigleyview.com. It's walking distance (less than 1 mile) from the Majestic, and a relaxing, comfortable way to enjoy a Cubs game and the Wrigley Field experience without being down in the stadium itself.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2011

My DD and I are staying @ The Majestic Hotel on Brompton Place, right now. Couldn't be more pleased. The staff is excellent in helpfulness AND efficiency. Decor is lovely. We walked in the entry and my Daughter remarked on how much The Majestic reminded her of the Inns we visited in Europe. We reserved one of the Sunroom-Suites. What an enjoyable room. Plenty of space to spread-out in. Very clean throughout. Bed is extremely comfortable and bed-linens are very soft and of excellent quality. Bathroom is very clean and nicely decorated with hand-soap, body-lotion, body-shampoo, hair-conditioner and hair-shampoo dispensers in the shower and at the sink. The shower delivers excellent pressure and plenty of hot-water. There are 2 flat-screen tv's. One tv is in the bedroom area and the other is in the sun-room/sitting-room. Bedroom tv is fitted with ROOM LINX Interactive TV. There is a "butler-pantry" style area with deep porcelain bar-sink, small refrigerator and microwave. All were exceptionally clean. Lovely, thick robes are provided as is a pedestal make-up mirror, iron and blow-dryer.. We have thoroughly enjoyed the sun-room/sitting-room. Since we are here to weather out the Blizzard of 2011, the view from the sun-room provides non-stop self-determined weather updates... Lovely, safe neighborhood where we have watched neighbors helping neighbors and strangers alike. There is a $22/day parking garage available. However, we were able to acquire a parking space right on the street. We will definitely be returning...what a gem of a hotel. I hope that they make no alterations to this property...as it is truly charming, just as it is... and a rare treat ...!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank lordhavemercy
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Majestic is small, tidy, charming, convenient to the lakefront and Wrigleyville, and staffed by very efficient, helpful people. Rates are very affordable, and some of the rooms are on the small side, so it's well worth spending a few extra dollars to enjoy one of the rooms with a separate sitting area / sunroom. But if you're looking for an intimate, neighborhood hotel with character rather than one of the chain hotels while visiting Chicago, this is a terrific option.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business