“Yum!!!!!!”

Ranked #980 of 10,076 Restaurants in Chicago
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Karyn's lives up to everything it says about itself and more. The green enchiladas were delicious and the coconut cake to die for.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had a business meeting in Chicago, and wanted to meet at a vegetarian restaurant. We had heard good things about Karyn's Cooked, and so went there.

I had the Thai skewers (with BBQ sauce) for an appetizer. I wasn't expecting flat slabs, but rather something a bit chunkier. It was good, but the sauce was a bit heavier than I was expecting, and overwhelmed the fake meat.

For a main course, I had the "Greek medallions." The main course -- puff-pastry dough with spinach and soy cheese -- was good, if a bit on the small side. I didn't expect side orders of french fries (not bad) and salad (quite good, but nothing spectacular), but it was certainly welcome.

We all shared a brownie for dessert. Not bad, but vegan cakes and cookies just don't have the oomph or texture that I've grown to expect.

A word of warning/amusement: One of my friends decided to order the "enzymes," not really sure what they were. At some point, he asked the waitress where they were, and she pointed to a wine glass with several pills in it. The waitress was kind enough to take the enzymes back, when my friend asked if it was a wise idea to take them before getting on a long plane ride.

I should add that the service was extremely good and helpful. We sat outside, which was fun and nice. The staff was extremely attentive, filling our glasses with water on a regular basis, and clearing our plates very efficiently.

I think that it's definitely worth a visit to Karyn's Cooked. And maybe I should have tried some of the other dishes to truly get the flavor of the place. I came away with a sense that it's great to have a vegetarian (or even vegan) restaurant in that area of Chicago, where there aren't many other vegetarian options. I just wish that the quality of the food had been a bit better.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

It's crazy to go to a restaurant and feel accepted because I am a vegetarian. Usually, there is only one or two thing I can order off of the menu, but Karyn's had everything that was vegan. I would suggest their pizza. You can't even tell it is fake cheese.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to Karyn's Cooked the first day we arrived in Chicago and went back a few more times over the weekend. Loved the Green Enchiladas, german carob cake, and natchos, the Buddha Bowl was good.

Good to bring non-vegan friends to try great food.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

This is one of the few places where I can bring "non-veg" friends and they'll love it, often saying, "I can't believe that vegan food can be this good."

1  Thank Soniab13