“Great hotel for all the right reasons”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Long Beach, California
“Great hotel for all the right reasons”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

The Westin Chicago River North is in a great location, just a 5min walk to the Chicago Theatre, the Loop El trains and the start of the Miracle Mile, and about a 10min walk to Millenium Park. We stayed in the Deluxe River View Room on the 20th floor and opted to spend extra for the complimentary continental breakfast buffet at the Executive Lounge down the hall each morning, which was worth it. There are a variety of bagels and jam spreads, cream cheese, boiled eggs, fresh fruit and berries, cereals, muesli and yogurts, and orange juice, tea and coffee. The staff were friendly and helpful. Also available are hor d'oeuvres between 5pm and 7pm which was great and complimentary water, soft drinks and fruit are available anytime. The Deluxe Room includes free wi-fi via an in-room Mac computer which was great. Most importantly, the room was very clean, as was the bathroom. The "heavenly bed" really is heavenly.
The only negative experience we had was a noisy wedding party in the room next door to us. Accordingly, I would recommend not staying in a room with a connecting door since it made the noise all the louder. We had this occur two nights in a row and after we raised the issue with the front desk, they handled the situation very professionally by immediately offering us complimentary wine and cheese plate and adding points to our Starwood account for the inconvenience. The only other complaint was that the complimentary water that is offered as part of the Deluxe Room was not delivered two days in a row, even after we rang for it.
Despite these isolated incidents though, I would recommend a stay at this hotel for its courteous staff, convenient location, cleanliness, heavenly bed and breakfast - all the things that should make a hotel stay-worthy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NathAus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

This hotel was fantastic! The people were consistently wonderful over the 10 days I was there. The business center was also a big plus and they were very accommodating with helping me to prepare for conference activities (which were at another hotel). The best experience was the gym, which was one of the best hotel gyms I have encountered, and Sam who manages the gym is an amazing personal trainer! He helped me kick up my work outs to a new level and this was all included as staying at the hotel. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2010

We were invited to Art Chicago at the Mart and decided to stay close. Even though a few other hotels were recommended, we felt the Westin was placed right in the middle of all the activities. The rooms were very comfortable, especially the window seat looking out over the River. The lounge was a great place to relax and/or meet people. We used it several times. the drinks and small dishes were just what we needed. Of course nothing tops the heavenly beds! Wow, what a great nights sleep! But the service does come a close second!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2010

The Westin Chicago is a fantastic hotel to stay in when you are in Chicago. Very centrally located right on the river it is within 5 minutes walk of numerous bars and restaurants, and 5 to 10 minutes walk from fantastic shopping including the Magnificent Mile. All the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful with none of the "New York:" attitude of expecting a tip (which for Aussies travelling abroad is always difficult to work out anyway). I had to stay there for 3 weeks for work and unlike numerous other hotels that I have stayed in the Westin was truely a home away from home.

USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

The Westin Chicago River North is my top pick for hotels in downtown Chicago, after 1/2 dozen business trips to the city. It's not the least expensive on my company's list of hotels to choose from but it's my favorite. The location is perfect because I can walk to my Chicago office, there are great restaurants around the hotel, and the rooms are spacious & clean (a must). The staff is friendly and will go above and beyond to accomodate you, as I learned when I forgot my toothpaste and they had some at the front desk. My favorite part of the hotel is the gym. Plenty of cardio equipment means I'm not standing around waiting during the 6am hotel gym rush hout. It's difficult to get workouts in during business trips but some coworkers and I found Sam, the trainer who staffs the Westin Chicago River North gym. I don't think I've met a friendlier or more motivating person at 6am. Sam is no pressure but always willing to go above & beyond by leading us through stregth workouts and showing us new exercises to try.

Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

Best workout ever - Sam (the Westin Workout Manager) is the best - gives you personal training tips from as early as 5AM!
Overall: Good hotel with nice amenities - rooms could do with some more light.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

I have spent the past five weeks traveliing for business throughout the US and did over 4 months last year. Of this time most has been spent in Chicago where i have stayed at the Westin River North.

When travelling for business particularly I like to have things at my fingertips and not have to worry about anything other than work since more often than not I am working to strict deadlines on each trip. I also like to have access to a good health club at the hotel where I stay and for the staff to treat you as an individual rather than just another paying guest.

Westin River North has met these expectations and as such I will have no hesitation in re-visting there on my next business trip to Chicago.

1 Thank Peter60878