“would definitely stay again”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #64 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 4, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel twice now and really like it. I find it relatively quiet and has wonderful views of the river-- so try to get a room with a river view!! I have switched from the loop W which was a bit to kinetic and like this hotel's convenient but not right in the middle of everything location. I tend to take the blue line in from ohare and is a very short work from the clark an lake stop.

My room has always been spacious, and very attractive but as someone else wrote not over the top. The hotel was formally a Nikko and still has a slight zen asian look.

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank racb

Reviewed May 20, 2006

I stayed here for three and a half days to attend a conference and most of the time was very pleased with the hotel. Although rooms are a little dark, they are unusually large and quite comfortable. The Westin River North has a sleek modern ambiance and is a much better hotel than the Westin on Michigan Avenue, which seemed somewhat run-down when I stayed there last fall. Even though the Michigan Avenue hotel has a better location if you are in Chicago to shop, I liked the location of the Westin River North as it is right on the river, with easy access to the Loop, but also there are lots of good restaurants nearby, and it’s an easy walk to the shops of Michigan Ave.

The one aspect of the hotel that really bothered me is that they charge you an extra $10 for the use of their fitness facility. I have stayed at Westin hotels all over the country and have never encountered an additional charge to use one of their gyms. Since you are already paying top dollar to stay here, I think that they are highly out of line to submit guests to this additional charge. There are lots of hotels to choose from in Chicago, so I would probably go elsewhere on my next business trip.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank Aurora100
Reviewed May 1, 2006

My daughter, her friend, her Aunt, and myself, stayed at this hotel 4/28-4/30. It was a surprise for my daughter's 16th bday. We were already booked club level, but they did give us an upgrade to a corner room with a beautiful view of the water and city. Club level was good, not great. The breakfast was continental and there were snacks (pretzels, fresh fruit, etc) during the day. In the evening, hors d'oeveres (sp) little pizzas, fried artichokes (yum). Alcoholic bevs were extra. This was my first experience with paying for alcohol in club. It was spacious there with a few plasma tv's and computer.
The room was very nice. It was clean, and appeared newer. The bathroom was nice, nothing over the top. Not a separate shower and tub.
The conceirge was very helpful. The front desk people delightful.
Fun time, in a great hotel. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2006
9  Thank raz24
Reviewed March 1, 2006

Wow--I always love Westins--the heavenly bed really is. This was our, thousandth(?) trip to Chi town, we always stay somewhere different, because there are so many fantastic hotels. No longer--I will stay this Westin from now on. It is cool--very sleek and contemporary, zen like. It feels relaxed and quiet . The river views are awesome, the bed, perfect. We also heard the Sushi is great there, but haven't yet tried it. Rock on--!

• Stayed: May 2005
14  Thank TeamBell
Reviewed February 26, 2006

A great hotel, particularly if you get a river view (I only had to ask). The room was spotless, the bed fantastic, the shower even better. The bar was spacious and relaxing. The staff did everything to please. And do try Bin 36 over the road, an amazing restaurant with a cheese bar and a novel opportunity to try numerous wines in one sitting. Highly recommended hotel whether for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
21  Thank IanR
Reviewed February 20, 2006

We travelled from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago for the New Year's weekend. We could not have been more pleased with the Westin Chicago River North. We were in Chicago in May 2005 and stayed at Hotel 71. No comparison. The Westin is so much better. Cleaner, better elevators, nicer lobby, better rooms. New Year's Eve the security was tight so no one that wasn't staying at the hotel couldn't get to the elevators. Great location as we walked to Marshall-Fields, the Ford Theatre and pretty much everywhere we wanted to go. And only 2 blocks to Lou Malnati's -some of the best Chicago deep dish pizza! Will definitely stay at the Westin Chicago River North again.

• Stayed: December 2005
24  Thank ckvp1
Reviewed February 11, 2006

We really enjoyed the elegant, spare Asian decor in the public areas of the hotel. Our room was nice too, but not as nice. There was water damage on the ceiling and some disrepair in the corner wall of the bathroom, but the room was very comfortable wth romantic views of the river.

The restaurant has a great breakfast & service was impeccable. The bar area is very nice. The bellhops were all quick and helpful--really gracious.

The front desk staff was weirdly off the ball. The person at the front desk was rather rude, but we brushed that off. When we got to our room, though, it turned out she had actually given us a room that was already occupied! There were people asleep in bed! The bellman was horrified and rushed to the phone in the hallway to straighten things out. From what we could hear, she was rude to him too. A day later we found they had our check out date wrong (we got our bill under the door a day early, though they had the date right when we checked in). Lastly, after we checked out, we discovered that they had not billed the room charges to the proper credit card.

Note that the location is really great for theatre-going, though a little far for walking to and from the Water Tower shopping area.

• Stayed: January 2006