“What a fabulous place to stay”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #57 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Rye, New York, USA
“What a fabulous place to stay”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I'm something of a regular at this elegant hotel. Large enough to have all the amenities I seek (executive lounge, nice work room, lobby bar, in-room internet) and yet small enough to feel personal. The location is terrific for doing business in the loop.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
St. Louis
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We love Westin hotels. So much so that we have a Heavenly bed in our home. Our kids loved watching the boats on the river from our riverview room. This location is fantastic, the lobby is luxurious, and all in all the rooms, decor, etc. was everything I expect from a Westin, even down to the smells. The free use of a computer and iternet in the room was a nice touch for the club level rooms.

However, we paid extra to be on the club level. So why is it that every time we went to the club, the employees hinted at charging us extra money? Apparently, what they do not tell you when you pay extra for the club level is that they only expect two people in your party to enjoy it. If you have two young children staying in your room, the club employees make it very clear that they should be charging you $12/person for each snack time that you bring more than 2 people there. Therefore, even though we paid extra for the club amenities, we found ourselves tipping the club employees the equivalent of a decent breakfast at the Panera.

While I would recommend this hotel to a friend, I do not recommend the club experience. It is not worth the extra expense.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Westin Hotel could not have been more accommodating. They allowed us both early check in and late check out. We were there for a wedding and they helped with several requests for things we needed and made great suggestions for things to do and where to eat. The room was extra clean and spacious, very comfortable with a lovely view of the river. The only criticism is that the lobby is a lilttle dark. They need a little better lighting. Would definitely stay there again as well as recommend it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Fairfield, CT
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Spent a Saturday night here free as part of a promo for staying at Starwood properties. They gave us a better than average room, and also gave us access to the club floor, which was a nice surprise. The room was very quiet, with an excellent ventilation system. It was also clean and has a very comfortable bed. Staff here is very friendly. On the minus side, there appears to be a significant charge for everything, even a bottle of water in the room. There is a charge for using a computer in the lobby as well, so this is not a hotel for those on a tight budget. There is an bagel place across the street for a simple food cheap. The location of the hotel is excellent, just a couple blocks to the train for the airport. The club floor usually costs another $30 for the room, which is probably not a good value, since the continental breakfast and evening snacks are not generous.

One thing to note: the hotel is very very in the public spaces, such that you could walk into a column or trip easily. We tried the room service - sushi, which was fine.

We would definitely stay here again, if the price were right.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I stayed in the Westin on Dearborn Ave for one night last week and was very happy. The hotel was in a great location, short walking distance to the Magnificent Mile and the main shopping drag of the city. The room was a good size, with king bed, chaise lounge, flat screen, computer setup, and nice view of a river. Good central location, nice lobby, and helpful staff. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I've never written a review before but since I have stayed at this property twice, I feel like I should. This recent stay was even better than the one before. I used Starwood points so I figured we would get a less than stellar room, but they gave us a river view room with a minibar fridge. I just used the space in the minibar fridge to store baby stuff that needed to be cool, and we used one of the hotel's very serviceable cribs for our 4.5 month old. I had requested a crib when I made the reservation but the front desk didn't have that info. No problem, though, they sent the crib straight up. One of the doormen in particular was very nice. He wore glasses and of course I can't remember his name. The lobby is great for strolling a sleepy baby who needs to go to sleep. Even though there were conferences in the city and the hotel the entire weekend, it never felt super crowded to me and everyone was friendly. It's in a great location and the only annoying thing is the entrance is hard to see from the road. But cabbies know where it is so it's not usually a problem. Oh and the internet isn't free in the room, but I believe it is in the lobby. Overall lovely stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
West Bloomfield, Michigan
Reviewed September 3, 2009

We used Priceline and got a great deal on the Westin River North over a long weekend in August. For the price, I really have no complaints. But, for a Westin, I expected better. We are Starwood Members and have stayed at many of the Starwood properties and this one did not feel up to par.

I called and requested a King size bed, river view, a fridge in our room, and a crib as we were traveling with our 2 year old. I was told no problem on any of this. When we got to the hotel we had to wait a LONG time to check in. There was a very long line and only two people working the desk, and one of them was only assisting Starwood Gold members. They gave us our room and we went upstairs. We DID get a King size bed, but there was no riverview, no fridge and no crib in the room. On our way out we stopped by the desk and asked for the crib and the fridge and we were told they would be brought right up.

We went out to visit with friends and go back four hours later and there was still no crib in our room. At this point we had a cranky toddler who needed to sleep! I called and requested the crib AGAIN and finally they brought it to us. I don't understand why I had to request the crib three times! We did end up getting the fridge also.

Other than that, we had no other issues with the hotel except that we just didn't feel like guests at a Starwood. We are used to friendly staff and people going out of their way to make your stay more comfortable and we didn't get that impression here. It seems like there was a lot going on at the hotel that weekend- at least two weddings were happening on Saturday night- and the staff seemed preoccupied.

For the price, we got a great deal on a nice hotel. But to be honest, I always expect more out of a Starwood property and I just didn't get that feeling at this hotel.

Also, we were VERY surprised that this property has no pool!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family