“Decent but not impressive” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Chicago River North

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Bloomington, Indiana
“Decent but not impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

The location of the Westin River North was great. My husband and I could easily navigate around the city to various attractions with only about a 5 minute taxi ride or 20 minute walk. The staff was generally friendly and accomodating. They kindly satisfied our request to check in several hours early. Also, we were quite happy with the low noise level in our room (12th floor) especially given its prime location. The windows in our room (Deluxe Room) were great.

I was not, however, impressed by this hotel, especially given the price tag. We requested that all down comforters and pillows be replaced with hypoallergenic alternatives before our arrival; they were not. Once we brought this to the staff's attention, they were quick to respond, but the hypoallergenic replacements were cheap and worn. There were very few outlets in the room. The rooms were generally clean, but dated. The air conditioning did not work very well. The breakfast at the downstairs restaurant was good, but overpriced.

I felt that this hotel was generally decent but that its operations were very poorly organized resulting in some preventable mishaps. I do not plan on staying here again. Our visit was not upsetting, but I did not feel that the delivered value was worth the cost.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lydia W
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hello Lydia W,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us. I'm delighted to hear that overall your stay was pleasant and we were able to respond quickly to your requests, however I'm certainly disappointed that we were unable to arrange your requests for you prior to arrival. We pride ourselves on our service and for us to fall short of your expectations, and to hear that you do not plan to return is truly regrettable and is something that I hope we will have the opportunity to correct in the future.

I certainly hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back in your future travels to Chicago. If/when that time comes please feel free to reach out to me personally so that I can ensure these preventable missteps are avoided and your stay is flawless.

Bryan W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
Avon Lake, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

WESTIN CHICAGO RIVER
NORTH HOTEL

Ideally located ..

Upon arrival, the porters makes you feel safe and at home, delivered your luggage to your room and park your car. Perhaps a distinctive feature of a Westin hotel… the lobby is not adequately spacious and not well lighted on the entrance until you get to the reception desk. With no sofas or chairs around, the overflow crowd has to spread out a few steps away to the Bar/Restaurant area where you are warmly greeted by a restaurant staff to take your orders.

Location wise, it is centrally located to all restaurants, entertainments, a walking distance to the Magnificent Mile, and minutes away on a taxi drive to Chicago Art Institute, Lake Shore Drive and Navy Pier.

My room on the 3rd floor is overlooking the Chicago River and it’s congenial exchanging photo shots with the tourists onboard the river boats. The room is quite spacious, comfortable bed with down comforters and pillows and a bathroom with shower/tub, adequately furnished with all the essential toiletries including a bath robe. A pair of slipper might have prevented me from tiptoeing around the dark carpeted floor, but I may have gotten one if I had asked for it either for a fee or free.

Buffet breakfast at Ember restaurant was nothing to brag about. The bacons were getting oily and chewy, the scrambled eggs needs a dash of salt and pepper, diced potatoes looking sleepy and unappetizing. One thing good was the taste and texture of their coffee was exceptional. It’s a medium bodied coffee, smooth, not winey and does not have an invasive aroma.

Service at this hotel was excellent from the porters, receptionists, bartenders to the restaurant servers. All of them were outstanding, considerate, and gracious.

I joined the crowd of satisfied customers to this Chicago Westin Hotel.

nv
July 14, 2014

Room Tip: I believed all rooms are all the same, quiet, very comfortable, clean and well furnished. All my fr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello niki9621,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience and such detailed feedback with us as well as the Tripadvisor community. I’m delighted to hear that you had such an enjoyable time during your recent stay and that our team was able to play a large part in that.

The next time you choose to escape to Chicago we hope to welcome you once more!

Chesterfield, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were in town for son's wedding and The Westin Chicago River North was on the wedding website as a choice to stay. Everyone at the front desk, door and the Concierge were wonderful and helped us in every way possible. We asked for and received great suggestions for places to eat (Eggsperience for breakfast, Mother Hubbards for our Chicago Hotdog, and Lou Malnati's for the best Pizza Pie, were great!) and all were within walking distance from hotel. I had emailed the hotel a few weeks before we left to see if we could check in early due to early flights. Even though I did receive a response that we likely would not be able to do that, the front desk checked us in as soon as we arrived (about 3 hrs. before check-in) and changed us to a corner room, which had a great view. We did not have the opportunity to visit the bar or restaurant due to the wedding festivities, so we can't comment on that. Great place to stay and we would stay there again!!!

Room Tip: Corner room was a little larger and had a great view of the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Wendy E,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us! I'm delighted to hear that we were able to accommodate that early check-in for you. It's great to hear that not only was our team able to make helpful recommendations but that you were able to take in many of the great sights, sounds, and tastes of Chicago while you were here!

I hope that the next time you return to Chicago that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back once again!

Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My first choice in Chicago hotels is Westin Chicago River North. The front desk goes out of their way to help you...including Alex who helped me get printed pages for a presentation at 2 a.m....weather delay and lost luggage created a huge problem from which he saved me. And Sam the Westin Workout manager is top notch. I'd feel bad not getting up early to workout as Sam always provides inspiration. He's in the gym by 4:30 a.m., which makes 5:30 seem not so bad. Great people and service all round. Oh, and the Grill, try the crab eggs benedict...much deserved and delicious after a good work out.

Hello Stacy S,

Thank you for taking the time to share this wonderful note with us. It's delightful to hear that both Alex and Sam were able to have such a positive impact on your recent stay and ensure that you were comfortable and taken care of while you were here with us.

We're truly proud to be called your home away from home while in Chicago, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

In general the rooms are good and spacious. My only complaint is that Bar is right in the lobby and you can hear noises in room till very late in the night. All rooms are connected with a main lobby so you may not avoid it. Overall, not a bad hotel to stay

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hello Vineet A,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We truly appreciate the feedback you've provided and I'm deeply apologetic if noise from the Hana Lounge disturbed your sleep. I am however delighted to see that you did overall enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

Nice hotel in a great location. Was packed with convention-goers. Good bar and nice rooms. No complaints except that the front desk "lost" an important package and our company suffered some consequences from it. Oh well. Otherwise it was a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Hello Amber D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I’m delighted to hear that overall, your stay was enjoyable and that you had kind words to share.

I'm very sorry to hear about the missing package and certainly any repercussions that came from this. Although you've departed the hotel and may no longer need this item please feel free to reach out to me personally so that we can work together to locate, retrieve, and return the package to you should you wish to have it returned to you.

Once again thank you for sharing the gift of feedback and I hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

I have been travelling for business for a few years now, and hotels seem to blend into one another quite easily. It is easy to remember the bad, and only the exceptional gets noticed. In the case of this Westin, the room was ok, not the best I've ever had. The shower had issues (either too hot, or too cold), and it was difficult to regulate. However the best thing about this hotel was the gym, and the personal trainer that works there, Sam. It was a particular pleasure working out at the gym, which was a lot more complete than a lot of hotels I've been in. Sam helped me with some exercises, and also with stretching. He then gave me a fabulous deep tissue massage, and told me to come back the next day for a workout plan for my goals. He was personal and friendly, and very enthusiastic. So if you are in the area and use hotel gyms, this hotel is a definite destination.

Hello ShebaAJ,

Thank you for taking the timet o share your recent expereince. I'm delighted to hear that Sam was able to have such a postiive impact and leave such a lasting memory with you. Sam truly does provide a unique expereince to our guests and helps the every day traveler be able to keep up with their wellness goals even when travelling.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and to be your home away from home. We look forward to the next time we have the opportunity to welcome you back!