“Disappointingly average.”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #70 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a decent hotel in the River North area of Chicago. It is slightly less central than the other Westin on Michigan Ave but the river views from the room made it worth the extra few blocks. There was a an odor of mold when entering our room but the room was quiet and comfortable. The lighting in the room was poor, even with all lights on, the room was still very dimly lit. The restaurant staff seemed disorganized at breakfast. The only other thing that I noticed was that they charged for internet access in the rooms. It is almost 2014 and this hotel is still charging guests for this very basic service?

Room Tip: Get a river view room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Hello capat ,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us. If you have a free moment I'd welcome the opportunity to connect with you regarding your recent experience so I can gather pertinent information in ensuring these issues get resolved quickly. At your earliest convenience please reach out to me at 312-744-1900.

Please also do not hesitate to reach out to me personally for any return visits so that I may oversee your accommodations and ensure a renewing return visit.

Bryan W.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,041)

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I stayed here last week from the 22nd to the 24th and I just want to say that Frederick is an outstanding employee. Working at a hotel myself, I know what to expect, but Frederick exceeded all of my expectations. He made me feel like a VIP and because of that we had the best stay. Thanks Frederick!

• Stayed: November 2013
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Ljacks381,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I'm delighted to hear that our staff was able to make such an impact on your recent stay that you've decided to share it with the Tripadvisor community. As a fellow member of the hospitality industry you know that this is quite the compliment and we certainly appreciate it.

I hope that we will be seeing you again soon!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a night to go out downtown and celebrate his birthday. We were upgraded to a larger room on the river because we are gold, but when we walked in the room, it smelled strongly of mildew/mold. We called the front desk and we were moved to a new room promptly. The new room was fine, but when the time came to shower, there was no hot water! Not ideal on a 25 degree Chicago night! We called the front desk and we were told an engineer would be notified, but we both had to take cold showers, and the next morning the water was lukewarm at best. The bed and linens were super comfy as always, this is what I love most about Westin hotels and resorts! Upon checkout we told the front desk person that the water issue had not been resolved. She mentioned that pipe maintenance had been going on, that was probably the issue. She offered free breakfast, but we did not have time, so she awarded us some bonus star points. Bottom line is we used to love this hotel but our past few stays have been off. Next time we want a night downtown, will probably try the W or the Westin on Michigan Ave.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Selawe T, Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear Melissa822,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. It was a pleasure speaking with you today and I am glad we were able to resolve your concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With warm Holiday Regards,

Selawe Tau

Reviewed November 28, 2013

My hubby and I decided to visit Chicago for the first time and were lucky to stay here. I spent a while researching hotels based on price, reviews and location. On a whim I received a great deal on this hotel that I couldn't pass up and am so glad I stayed. The hotel was clean, well appointed and the staff were courteous and extremely helpful. The location of the hotel is perfect for walking to a variety of destinations and a close walk to a few subway lines. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryan W, Front Office Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Hello LaSonia G,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I'm happy to hear we were able to be a part of your first trip to Chicago and that it was such a success. I hope that we will be able to be a part of your second, and all future trips to Chicago as well!

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night. On arrival the staff at check in were very friendly and Cameron offered us a complementary upgrade to a stunning deluxe room with a river view. I would highly recommend asking for a room on the river side.

The room was perfectly clean, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and modern. I would return to this hotel again.

Hello yddib,

I'm delighted to hear that Cameron was able to start your recent Chicago escape off right and that you were able to enjoy Chicago from the comfort of one of our Deluxe River View rooms. I hope that this is only the first of many trips to Chicago, and I hope that we will be seeing you again soon!

Stay well,

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I had booked a double bed room but when I checked in, none were available. So The man put us in a bigger room with a seating area and nice bar area. It was VERY nice. Now, the bed was dirty, and there was hair all over it when we got in, and even under the comforter in the blankets and pillows. But the staff came and changed it and took care of it and gave us 2 passes to breakfast in the morning, which was nice. They did say the manager would call us back and never did, but whatever. The staff we did speak to on our stay were all very nice and accommodating. The local is great and we self parked, which was easy. so, overall we loved the hotel and would go back any time!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank M D

Hello M D,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I'm sorry to hear that your stay started out with hair on your bed, however I'm very happy to hear that we were able to get that our staff were able to get that quickly resolved for you. I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future, and when that time comes please do not hesitate to reach out to myself or one of the other front office managers so that we can ensure your next stay is completely flawless and truly renewing.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Sam, manager of the Westin Workout took me through a free workout at their on-site gym to improve my posture and stretch and strengthen my back. It was my favorite thing about the hotel - you don't expect that quality expertise to be working at a hotel. Not only did Sam train me but he also typed up a workout schedule and followed up with me via email a few days later to make sure I'm still on track. Westin is lucky to have someone like Sam working for them. If anything I woud recommend you stay at that hotel just for the workout session.

Room Tip: Get a river view room on the south side of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike84606

Hello Mike84606,

Thank you for sharing this kind note with us. Sam is certainly someone who we're very proud to have as a member of our team. Sam has created a truly rejuvenating experience in Westin Workout and I would agree with you in that we're very lucky to have him as a member of our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and I’m sure Sam also looks forward to seeing you again so he can continue to work with you on your wellness goals.

Stay well,