“Nice place”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #69 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Clean, well laid out, nice food (sushi/asian) very responsive staff. I was there for a conference. I'd give it 3.5 if I was not paying the discounted price. No pool either - but I have to say, a very nice place and an excellent location with a super staff.

Room Tip: try to get a river view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dear Paul D,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us. I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent experience with us. I'm disappointed to see that we weren't able to completely exceed your expectations, and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the near future so that we can ensure that we are able to.

Peter S.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,040)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just stayed here this past weekend and was warmly welcomed back by the staff. Always a wonderful experience. The location of this hotel is fabulous.....took a cab to Oak Street since it was raining, and walked the entire length of Michigan Ave shopping....at the end we realized how close we were to the hotel so walked back. The hotel is close enough to the 'action' but far enough away to be quiet and cozy. When in Chicago, I will never stay at another hotel. The staff is what makes it all work! Bravo to the management at this Westin who have put together a wonderful team that makes you feel like you are the only guest in the hotel!

Room Tip: pay the extra for a club level room......the complimentary continental breakfast buffet is wonderful...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear OD8459FAM,

I'm delighted to hear that you've continually had such positive and refreshing experiences with us. We're truly proud to be your home away from home when on business or taking time to unwind in Chicago. Saying that we are your hotel of choice in Chicago truly means a lot to us and this is something we certainly pride ourselves on. I think I speak for everyone here at The Westin Chicago River North when I say we are eagerly awaiting the next time we will be able to welcome you back!

Stay well,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed at the Westin River North for a business trip in August. From the moment we arrived at the hotel, we felt welcome and well taken care of, and this carried on throughout our stay. It seemed like the staff actually enjoyed their job at the Westin, so the service at the front desk, the room service, the concierge and the lobby bar was absolutely excellent.
The rooms are big, but a little on the dark side, so not much daylight are let in through the window, bathrooms quite small, and once again we needed a litlle investigation with the shower to figure out how it worked and mixed the water, always fun :-), but most important beds are execellent, so great sleeping quality at the Westins, Coffee making facilities, iron and ironboard, minibar, internet access and flatscreen tv are all available in the room.
If you are in for a work out, the Westin River North has a great gym with a very good trainer/instructor, if you need an advice or have a question, and the gym has many different work out opportunities. The Westin River North is situated down town, close to restaurants, theaters, clubs and shooping oppurtunities, and a long the river, which is just next to the hotel, there is a a pedestrian path if you feel like jogging or walking.
If you are arriving by air, you can take the blue Metro line from O´Hare airport or the orange metro line from Midway airport and in both lines, you will need to get of at the Lake and Clark station, from where you will reach the hotel in five minutes of walking.
We can absolutely recomend this hotel, it is a great choice in a great, great and vibrant city.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Thodin

Dear Thodin,

Thank you for sharing your recent expereicne with us. I'm truly delighted to hear that your recent stay was so renewing. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we all hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon for another refreshing visit!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Sam, the fitness guru at River North, is the hidden gem of this business focused hotel. He remembers you each time you come down, is personable, and always willing to help. But best, if you ask him a question, he will go above and beyond in answering it, as well as anything that might be related to your questions that you didn't realize. He focuses on safe and effective workouts that are appropriate for the road warrior. Plus, the eucalyptus and lavender scented chilled towels for the end of the workout -- to die for!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear TWayne2005,

I'm truly delighted to hear that Sam was able to provide such personal and instinctive service during your stay here. Sam's unique experience and the service he is able to provide to our guests is truly unique and we're very luck to have him here with our guests each and every day. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Sam, and I'm sure he's looking forward to your next visit to see how you're doing with your fitness goals!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is my fourth stay at this hotel over a number of years. This stay was for three nights. All have been for business (i.e., trade show at McCormick Place).

The Really Good:

The Westin delivers in terms of exceptional cleanliness, great location, friendly staff. And this hotel lives up to Westin's reputation for providing for a great night's sleep with excellent bedding.

The Could-Be-Better:

The rooms are very dark. There is simply nowhere near enough lighting in the room even if you turn on all the lamps. Each of the lamps have very low wattage CFL bulbs with the equivalent light of about 60w of a tungsten bulb. That is simply insufficient. There is no overhead lighting except at the room entrance. The bathrooms are also very insufficiently lit - only some fluorescent lights from behind the mirror behind the sink.

There are shaving mirrors in the bathrooms - love that - but mounted so high (and not height-adjustable) to be almost useless. And I am 6' tall - how does someone shorter even attempt to use that mirror?

Internet access is reasonable but it resets at some time every day in the early morning hours. This is really unacceptable for business users. It is also unclear what the policy is for this hotel for charging for internet use. When I checked in, I enquired about what the charge, if any, was and was told, yes there is a charge but it was waived for the “upgraded room” I had. But otherwise, even though being an SPG card member, they normally don't comp such internet service. Sorry - but internet service these days should be included with all rooms as part of the cost of running a hotel, just like toilet paper and water.

The Bad:

Apparently, at least some members of this hotel's housekeeping staff think that checkout time is 9:00am although the posted checkout time is noon. On my last night after working late into the night, I decided to sleep late and checkout at 11:30am. At 9:00am exactly, even though I had a “do not disturb” sign on my door, housekeeping starting banging on my door yelling “housekeeping” - waking me up. They also did the same at a neighboring room also with a DND sign up. And they took away the newspaper outside my door!

I informed the front desk manager about this when I left two hours later and all I got for it was a “so sorry, they shouldn't have done that” response. Very unprofessional!

- Dov

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dov I

Dear Dov I,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us. I'm delighted to hear that overall your stay was positive and that you did enjoy your stay with us despite the concerns that you mentioned. I appreciate you bringing these concerns to my attention and I will address them with my team. Feedback is what fuels change in our industry, and having such detailed feedback regarding your experience and perception of the hotel and it's services is truly invaluable.

Once again, thank you and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again soon to show you a the experience it is meant to be here at The Westin Chicago River North.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Traditional rooms are dark and have a view of 2 round Towers and on their parking lot. I was on the 14th floor and the view is still on the parking of these ugly tours. My room was dark and old fashion design. I asked to change and they refused. But most of the traditional rooms have no view. I found my room very depressing for the price we pay here. there is better options at better price.

2  Thank Pierre B

Dear Pierre B,

Thank you for taking the time to share the gift of feedback with us regarding the view from your room as well as the décor of the hotel . I'm sorry to hear that we had fallen short of your expectations during your recent visit and that you did not enjoy the view of the iconic Marina Towers. Many of our guests enjoy the view of the towers due to their history, but I certainly can understand why you would not.

I hope that the next time you come to Chicago you will choose to stay with us again. If/when that time comes please reach out to one of our front office managers and we would be happy to ensure that you receive a different view and that your next stay lives up the expectations you have of the Westin brand.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

One expects a certain level of luxury from Westin Hotels. The Westin Chicago River North goes beyond this expectation. The room was the quietest I have ever stayed in. The location was great - right on the river. Everything Chicago was within walking distance, theater, restaurants, galleries, parks, and nightlife.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the river & have a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Lyke2Travel4,

I'm truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent trip to Chicago and that we were able to play a part in that recent trip. Whether it be for business or a weekend escape I hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon for another renewing visit!

Stay well,