“Westin quality close to the action”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #64 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Had a business meeting and was impressed that a property where I had NO status gave me a great room overlooking the water. Room was large, quiet, and had both a well stocked fridge and coffee maker with full bags of coffee, it cubes to,fit in a machine. The bathroom was large and well troweled with plush bath sheets. The computer rooms in the business center were enclosed for,privacy and each had its own printer. Fitness facilities were well equipped. Attitude was friendly and CAN DO, across the board. I did not eat in the restaurants, but the food served in meetings was actually tasty AND healthy.

Room Tip: Tell the clerk your preferences.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear hotelmavin,

On behalf of the entire team here at The Westin Chicago River North I’d like to thank you for the kind words you’ve shared with us. We certainly do take pride in the fact that we try to make all our guests feel special, not only the ones with “status”. I certainly hope that the next time your travels bring you to Chicago we will be able to welcome you back and once again exceed your expectations!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Travelled with a friend to Chicago for ladies trip. We checked into Westin Chicago River North for 3 nights. As requested we were given our room early upon arrival! I give the hotel plenty of points for this special favour!! It meant we could refresh ourselves before setting out on our first day's adventure.

We took the Wendella river boat cruise on architecture. We loved it! What a perfect way to see this magnificent city. It was very hot and we were glad to have a sun hat and sunscreen as we were in full sun for 2 hours. Our guide was interesting and explained lots of history about this city and the fantastic buildings. After the tour we walked the magnificent mile but didn't buy much. Ate lunch just off Michigan Street at Grand Luxe where lots of lady shoppers stop to re-nourish after shopping. We found the stores actually had tons of merchandise but each time we selected an item the store did not have our size! We returned to our hotel for a quick 20 minute nap, shower and change of clothes and then met a friend at RPM for dinner. This restaurant is near the hotel. Sexy environment there. Low lighting, disco music, young crowd and great Italian fare with homemade pasta! We had a super good meal. A little pricey but worth it.

Second day we walked the Loop. We loved the sculptures by Picasso, Miro, Calder en route! Then we visited the Impressionism exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago. Could spend hours and days there. We spent time in Millenium park having fun at the Bean, in the flower gardens and just quietly absorbing some of the beauty here. Back to our hotel for quick nap, shower and off to dinner at Trattoria 10. Terrible meal. Started with poor service and ended with salty, heavy food and high price. To be fair the Maitre D' tried to help out with a free dessert and was quite attentive after we complained that no one took our order. Followed dinner with Broadway show Book of Mormon. Great cast with lots of action but be prepared for politically incorrect jokes!

Next day we walked in the rain north of the river to Contemporary Art. Enjoyed the art installations. lunch nearby at Cheesecake Factory. Reliably good salad and cheesecake with excellent service. Shared as the meal portions are large. Walked to Astor Street to see High Heffner's mansion. Back to our hotel for quick nap, shower and headed to Auditorium Theatre for the Chicago Dancing Festival. We found it by googling activities in Chicago and got free tickets. It was the highlight of our trip! A fabulous performance! Stopped at Target around 10:30 pm to pick up a snack. Make sure to browse the Internet for activities as there are tons of things going on free in Chicago.

Final day was a ride on the "L" to Quincey Station. It is fun to ride this elevated train and Quincey Station still has the wooden floorboards! Unfortunately the wait to ride up to the top deck at Willis Tower was 45 minutes early in the morning and we didn't have time. Walked back to our hotel and packed up.

Our trip to Chicago was perfect! This hotel is in the absolutely perfect location. We walked everywhere and never needed cabs or public transportation to get around d the city core. Our room was a standard double with 2 full luxurious beds that feel amazing and guarantee sweet dreams. The room decor is not especially pretty but is very functional and clean The bathroom has one sink, tub with shower, and is a good size. Amenities included soap, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion. No Q-tips or cotton balls. Upon arrival only one bathrobe in this double room and 3 towels of each size instead of 4. I asked housekeeping first day for 4 of each and received this but only 3 each day after that request. Air conditioning even in the sweltering heat worked well.

I would gladly stay at this hotel again. Our concierge was always helpful with tidbits of Information.
The front desk staff checked us in quickly and were friendly as was the housekeeping staff. There is free wifi in the lobby although the staff couldn't figure out how to get my blackberry connected. My own trial and error finally got it going! Taxis were always available at the entrance.

The hotel is trying to be environmentally conscious so you have a choice of fresh daily linens, towels or not.

Chicago is a great city with friendly people and lots to do! It is busy so it is a good idea to reserve for dinner and theatre before you go on your trip. Thank you Westin for the great hospitality and early check in!!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room with view of the river. Some rooms look right into a blues nightclub concr...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank fancyandfree

Dear fancyandfree,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback regarding your recent Chicago visit with everyone, it sounds like you had quite the adventure! I'm truly delighted to hear that our hotel and our team were able to play a role in this experience. I'm also very happy to hear that you found our Heavenly Beds as well as other heavenly products so refreshing.

I hope that we will be welcoming you back for many more adventures like this most recent one!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

On a college road trip with my teen daughter, so in a unique position to review 4 Westin properties over a 6 day period. The bar has been set REALLY high by the Westin Chicago River North, our first stop.

A caveat, we're using our Starwood SPG point for these hotels, so we were not expecting the best the properties had to offer - after all, it's a "free" room. That's where the Westin really blew us away. Upon hearing this was a mom/daughter trip, the efficient and cheerful front desk staff kindly upgraded us to a Club room so we could have snacks and a free continental breakfast. Nice! They also gave us a room with a view of the river, as it was my daughter's first time in the city. Very nice! We had a terrific time at the gym, with a drink at the lovely bar (wine for me, soda for the teen) afterwards. Relaxing and nice!

The heavenly bed was just that, and the room appointed beyond our expectation.Club breakfast was way more of a "full" than continental breakfast, and the easy 3 block walk to the L made our campus visits a snap.

Everyone - bellman, doorman, housekeeping - exceeded far beyond our expectations (for both a teen and a mom who travels a lot).

Worth every penny you would spend on a room here, and we highly recommend the property.

Thank you to the staff for creating a really lovely atmosphere and a super, super experience. We will be back (and not on points.) I'll never stay anyplace else in Chicago in the loop going forward.

Now, on to other Westin properties - stay tuned!

Room Tip: Ask about Club rooms - worth the extra money!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear SeattleBizMom,

Saying that we are the only property in Chicago that you will return is quite the bold statement that I not only take to heart, but it also brings a smile to my face. It was truly our pleasure to be able to host you and your daughter during what I am sure will be quite the eventful trip. We look forward to welcoming both you and your daughter back soon for another renewing visit!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Westin Chicago River North lives up to the name of the Westin and Starwood Hotels brand. Being centrally located and just steps away from State St, Michigan Avenue and some of the city's greatest restaurants, the Westin boasts a modest presence from the outside but once you set foot inside the property, you are welcomed by a calm, soothing ambience for which it's famously known. The lobby is spacious and you can relax and unwind at the Hana Lounge, or have a bite at Ember Grille or Kamehachi Sushi Bar - both well-known on the Chicago food scene.

Peter, the GM and Patricia M. went out of their way to make my stay memorable. It was my mother's birthday and they ensured that our requests were satisfied. It's such a comfort to know that you can always rely on someone to give their best and do their best. Speaking of the best, I want to give a special thanks to Diane and Lisa, two star concierges at the Westin Chicago, for their trustworthy recommendations, from restaurants to attractions and nightlife, and for helping me manage reservations. There is literally nothing they can't do!

Regarding the hotel, we stayed on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor and the view was spectacular (see picture). I personally got a chance to use their gym after a long day of work and was thoroughly impressed with how equipped and modernized it is.

It's rare to come by such perfection in the hospitality industry; hence, when you do, you come to appreciate it, and of course, to visit it again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Aidan N

Dear Aidan N,

Patricia, myself, and the rest of the team here at The Westin Chicago River North truly appreciate your kind words and the feedback you’ve shared with us. We’re very proud to have Lisa and Diane here assisting our guests on a daily basis, and I will be sure to pass your kind words along to them. It was our pleasure to have you here and I’m delighted to hear that we were able to contribute to the memory of this special occasion. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you come to Chicago!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Came downtown to see the Tall Ships at Navy Pier and stayed here overnight. The location is perfect, we walked to Navy Pier and also to Oak Street Beach the following morning. Neither walk took more than 20 minutes.

From the valet who told us of the cheaper car park option (once he realized we weren't going to be using our car) to the barman at night and most especially the first class service by Katyln at the front desk, we were treated like royalty every step of the way.

The hotel itself is nice if not a little dated. The club-room is very small and fills up quickly at breakfast and right at 5:00 for the opening of the hors'doeuvres. The honor wine bar (basically a vending machine for wine where you swipe a credit card and can purchase various varietals and sizes) is a fantastic idea, but it was broken when we were there.

It was a gorgeous day in the city and we didn't spend much time inside the hotel. The room was well-appointed and clean but extremely dark. They would benefit from overhead lighting as our corner river-view room was borderline depressing.If you have kids - note there is NO pool!!! You are allowed to go down the street and use the Sheraton pool however.

All in all a great stay and if I got a good deal I would stay again. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to arrange a trip here otherwise.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear sbodie,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback with us. I'm very happy to hear that our team members were able to exceed your expectations and make a lasting impression. I do most certainly appreciate the feedback you've shared with us regarding the lighting in the hotel as receiving this feedback is what fuels change within the hotel.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again, and hopefully sometime soon for another relaxing visit!

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Great location, size room and amazing staff, especially Eric who showed us to our room. Westin offer a top end product here. We stayed 2 nights only wish it were longer. Bar and room service was very good also.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear PollyinCairo,

We truly appreciate your kind words and I will be sure to pass your compliments on to Eric. I’m delighted to see that we were able to exceed your expectations and left feeling refreshed and renewed.

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest, and I hope that this is only the first of many times that we will be able to have you as our guest!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stay in Chicago on business a lot and have made the Westin River North my "go to" hotel. In every way this hotel is terrific. The service is outstanding. They treat me like a value customer, and being a repeat they make it clear that they know me and appreciate my loyalty. The rooms are very comfortable, with nice amenities. The club level is outstanding, with a terrific club to have breakfast or drinks. And it's a great location -- close to work, lots of great restaurants close by (including Piccolo Sogno Due right across the street -- a terrific place).

I can be pricey -- at times the price is too high for me to justify for business travel exceeding $400 a night. This seems to happen when there is a convention in town and they have low vacancy. But i you can get a decent rate it is a really fine hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear WBreskin,

Thank you so much for your kind words. We're truly proud to be your home away from home and your "go-to hotel" here in Chicago. Showing appreciation for our loyal guests is certainly a top priority for us and I'm delighted to see that you're able to consistently experience that.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, and many more times in the future!

Be well,