“AWESOME view of the Chicago River”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Oklahoma
“AWESOME view of the Chicago River”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a room on the third floor looking direct at the Chicago River. WOW! The view was unobstructed. I sat for a couple of hours "people watching." What a great and relaxing day. The bed was soft and very comfortable. The room and bathroom was extra clean. There is a charge for wi-fi, but in the lobby, there is no fee for a connection. The staff was friendly and we were able to check our luggage in storage before they had our room ready. We would definately stay here again sometime. The lobby is huge and has lots of sofas and sitting areas and a sushi bar.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank todavis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for the Ryder Cup event in september 2012. Nice clean and big room. Very nice comfortable bed and no noise. Wanted to make use of the hotel fitness facility during our stay. Have been to many hotels with so so fitness facilities so did not expect that much... But here they have a large range of various things to use during your workout. AND thère is a very very competent traineer who can assist with your workout. Sam made two new workout plans for mé, both better than the plan I got from my personal traineer back home...!!! And hé happily took the time to go through them both and to assist during the workout to obtain max output. Nice to have workout options so you dó not always dó the same things over and over again. Thank You Sam you are the best!

1 Thank DDD559
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear DDD559,

Thank you for your visit with us on Ryder Cup weekend. I’m glad to see you were able to utilize our newly renovated fitness center. Our state of the art equipment is 2nd to none as well is our personal trainer, Sam. I will be sure to share you feedback with him and celebrate with the team. We look forward to your next visit.

Be Well,

Peter
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

My husband and I had our wedding at this hotel in the summer of 2012. We had selected this hotel because they didn’t require you to book a minimum amount of rooms on a wedding block, which was rare for a hotel in the summer in Chicago. We were working with Avalon, the Catering & Convention Service Coordinator, for our wedding block. She was not the easiest person to get a hold of during the process, which was upsetting, but we made it work because of the location of the hotel. We were assured that we would get a river view suite for our wedding night and had paid for that room.

When I arrived to check in to the hotel, I was running late and trying to get to my rehearsal dinner. I checked in at the same time as my mother and asked that they please bring my luggage to the room first. They did not of course bring my luggage first, and as I was sitting there waiting I started getting really pissed off at the room they had given us. It was TINY and pitch black, not the river view I was told I would have. Also, the bathroom was miniscule and was all the way in the back of the suite. Not ideal for the hair and make-up that would be going on the next morning. I called Avalon, only to find that she doesn’t work on the weekends. How does a hospitality employee not work on the weekends? How many weddings do they have on a Tuesday night??? I left her a message stating that I was upset over the room and asked her to call me. I have YET to get a call back from her.

My mother called to check on me, and I told her I was upset, but just wanted to get to the dinner, but she wasn’t having it, and asked the bellman if there was anything he could do. He was amazing, and got me in a really nice room quickly. Again, I was dealing with a bellman, and not a manager, or anyone from the hospitality group.

We return to the hotel after the wedding, and have a lot of people help us carry items into the hotel. We end up hanging out in the lobby bar area with friends for a while and make our way to our room with what we think is the rest of our personal items. We wake in the morning to find that we are missing a shopping bag and several fans we had purchased because the venue was so warm. The items were both pairs of shoes I had worn (designer pairs), a $300 necklace borrowed from a friend who wore it at HER wedding (this was the worst part), my wedding makeup kit, a brand new pair of ray ban sunglasses…all adding up to over $1000. I asked around the hotel front desk, and asked the hotel to contact me if the items showed up, but we had a plane to catch and couldn’t do much that day. I asked 2 of my bridesmaids and our mothers to continue to contact the hotel about the items while we were gone.

I return from honeymoon with no info on the missing items, despite continuing calls from family and friends. When I call myself, they say they have NO RECORD of the missing items and no record of any calls to security. I know that is a lie. I ask for video surveillance of the lobby and they first say there was nothing conclusive and then lie and say they have no video coverage of that particular area. I file a police report and a detective calls me back to discuss. He says that the hotel was completely uncooperative and he thinks it was employees that stole the items but can’t get proof. He was very apologetic considering the emotional value of the items lost. DO NOT HAVE YOUR WEDDING HERE. END OF STORY.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maragladstrong
MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel had my top 4 requirements: QUIET--We were upgraded to the 17th floor and with the exception of 1 siren (1 minute) I heard absolutely no outside noise for our entire 3 night stay. COMFORTABLE BEDS: the beds are very comfortable and the linens fit the beds and are soft. CLEAN: the room was very clean. We were offered the option of opting out of daily housekeeping and we did so. FAST ELEVATORS: We never waited more than 30 seconds for an elevator--whether going up or down.

Room Tip: We chose a riverview room.
1 Thank micnadkel
Knoxville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here for a wedding weekend. Rooms were large comfortable and spacious. Our's overlooked the river which was fun. Our family came from all over the country and enjoyed the accommodations. No problems

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Chino Hills, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice location BUT VERY Poor front end staff....makes you not ever to want to go back to this hotel.The doorman was the nicest person from this hotel we spoke with.He needs to be promoted to run the front end.The room itself was average so was disapointed and i felt the bathroon itself was dirty, not a clean feeling.its a nice location to walk to alot of different places around the downtown area.But will never come back to this hotel!

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in a corner room ...thats what we got!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights and as the title states, there was nothing extraordinary about our stay. Great location along the Magnificent Mile, friendly staff. One downside was the in-suite internet was not included.