“Perfect Stay Due to Wonderful Staff”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #69 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed for five days at the Westin Chicago River North and felt the staff made the trip perfect. I had made a mistake in our reservation, and we could have had a disaster. By chance we had Bryan Williams, the Assistant Front Desk Manager, check us in. He was so understanding and helpful, and definitely went out of his way to make everything right.

Our room was towards the end of the building so we had a magnificant view of the Chicago River and the unique architecture of the buildings down Wacker Ave. In addition, we were right across the street from the House of Blues and a very unique parking garage/apartment building. The room was immaculately clean, and really did have "heavenly beds" -- I slept great every night. We were on the 14th floor, but never had to wait long for an elevator to go either up or down.

All the staff was friendly and helpful -- and I mean from the housekeeping staff to the management. I especially loved my daily smile and conversations with James at the luggage assistance area, and the wonderful young woman at the desk who printed my boarding passes for me the night before we left when I couldn't get the computers/printers in the business center to cooperate. The concierge was very knowledgeable, and gave us good ideas to maximize our enjoyment of the city.

We loved the location. Walk down Dearborn Ave., and you are at the Goodman Theater in the theater district. A block away was Wacker Ave which you could take for a few blocks to Michigan Ave. to get tickets for all of the boat tours. We also found it an easy walk to the Magnificent Mile (with the John Hancock Building -- tour to the 100th floor), and even walked to the Navy Pier and Willis Tower without much effort. (The Willis tower is the Sears tower renamed.) There were many nice restaurants nearby, and a CVS close enough to pick up all the things we needed during our stay. (This CVS had a food section and wine/beer in addition to the regular drugstore fare.)

The food we had at the hotel was excellent, and the complimentary USA Today and Wall Street Journal were readily available at the desk. We did not pay for internet in our room, but instead spent time each day in the lobby checking our emails through the free wifi there. The nice big couches and chairs were very inviting, and the decor tastefully thought out. I also enjoyed an apple one afternoon in the lobby (hot apple cider was also available) -- a nice fall touch.

Thanks to the staff, this was a perfect trip. I will definitely book this Westin again when visiting Chicago.

Room Tip: Ask if a room at the far end of the building is available to get the view of the river. We stayed i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,041)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a great hotel with a wonderful bar/ restaurant with very good service! The room we got was nice and clean and the size was just right. The location was okay. If you want to be right where the action is, stay at the Westin right off the Magnificent Mile but don't get me wrong....this hotel is also close to a lot of wonderful restaurants and shops! Overall experience at this hotel was great!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Medici58
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Nice hotel- clean rooms that comfortable but on the smaller side. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The nicest part is the location- perfect for strolling the Mile, shopping and great places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The Weston has a nice bar, clean rooms and a good breakfast - quite expansive overall but I guess that's the Chicago way - people were friendly and nice. My room card didn't work a the beginning and the elevators didn't work too - but anything else was good, nice gym - good plac

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great hotel though they took extra charges of $600 on our cards for no reason and then said it would take almost two weeks to credit back. Very, very, very poor customer service. Not a poor ending to what should have been a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2012

Dear SLMHHP,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Westin Chicago River North. I am glad to hear you think we are a great hotel, but was sorry to hear about the issue you experienced with your credit card. Feel free to contact the hotel directly at 312-744-1900 and ask for my office directly if this issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction. We thank you for your business.

Be Well,

Peter

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Wonderful location in a phantatisc city, just 3 blocks from Michigan Avenue. The hotel is elegant and stylish, especially the rooms are great and and I feel myself very much at home. Most I appreciated very much the support from the friendly people working for Westin hotel, eg the concierge. So the Manager Westin Workout Sam in the Gym took the extra mile to create a very personalized program to get me back on the healthy track. Big thanks. Claus

Room Tip: From the higher floors you a phantastic view on the city.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I reserved the River North Westin for our wedding suite and our wedding block for our out of town guests. While negotiating terms of the wedding block, were were told (in writing) that the bride and groom's suite would be upgraded if there was availability. We were ultimately placed in a small suite with windows facing an alley. It was hard to believe this was the "Deluxe" King Suite we book, yet the upgrade we were told we would receive upon availability, but after mention to the bellhop, he took care of the issue and made sure that we got upgraded to an awesome suite. Kudos to him.

The major star deduction comes from how the staff handled an incident after the wedding. One of our wedding guests helped bring back a few of our personal items from the wedding reception to the hotel.
These items included a large Nordstrom bag and two box fans (it was really hot) which were left in the lobby bar with all the other guests as everybody wound down the evening. My wife and I weren't told that these items were left in the bar, and we didn't know to grab them, so they were left after the bar was closed, by ourselves and several other wedding guests. We have pictures from that night of these items in the lobby bar and inquired in the morning if they had them in lost and found (we were the last people to leave the bar). Management and security said that they did not have them so we asked if they would review their security camera as a large bag and two box fans don't just walk away. We received the run around from them many times and were never able to secure any footage. Multiple people also called while we were on our honeymoon including mother, mother-in-law, and maid-of honor, but they were unable to make any progress as to where the bag of valuables and box fans could have disappeared to. We have subsequently filed a police report which in attempt to file a claim with our homeowners policy. The Chicago detective called back and said that they have been the most uncooperative hotel that he has dealt with and had his own thoughts on what happened to the bags.

One would think that the River North Westin would try and take better care of their bride and groom who reserved a wedding block at their location. I've always been extremely pleased with Westin's in general but am extremely sour after this latest experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChrisG703
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Chris G.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I can appreciate the kind comments regarding our luggage attendant team and am glad they were able to upgrade you to a larger suite. We will be sure to celebrate these kind words with them. I am aware of the alleged theft incident and am sorry your items never turned up. We respect our guest’s privacy and therefore do not have cameras in our lounge area. We were surprise to have learned that someone would want to steal two box fans left in the lounge area after a night of celebrating. Again, we thank you for your feedback.

Be Well,