“Good place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #55 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

The Weston has a nice bar, clean rooms and a good breakfast - quite expansive overall but I guess that's the Chicago way - people were friendly and nice. My room card didn't work a the beginning and the elevators didn't work too - but anything else was good, nice gym - good plac

• Stayed September 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Great hotel though they took extra charges of $600 on our cards for no reason and then said it would take almost two weeks to credit back. Very, very, very poor customer service. Not a poor ending to what should have been a great stay.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear SLMHHP,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Westin Chicago River North. I am glad to hear you think we are a great hotel, but was sorry to hear about the issue you experienced with your credit card. Feel free to contact the hotel directly at 312-744-1900 and ask for my office directly if this issue has not been resolved to your satisfaction. We thank you for your business.

Be Well,

Peter
DÜSSELDORF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Wonderful location in a phantatisc city, just 3 blocks from Michigan Avenue. The hotel is elegant and stylish, especially the rooms are great and and I feel myself very much at home. Most I appreciated very much the support from the friendly people working for Westin hotel, eg the concierge. So the Manager Westin Workout Sam in the Gym took the extra mile to create a very personalized program to get me back on the healthy track. Big thanks. Claus

Room Tip: From the higher floors you a phantastic view on the city.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

My wife and I reserved the River North Westin for our wedding suite and our wedding block for our out of town guests. While negotiating terms of the wedding block, were were told (in writing) that the bride and groom's suite would be upgraded if there was availability. We were ultimately placed in a small suite with windows facing an alley. It was hard to believe this was the "Deluxe" King Suite we book, yet the upgrade we were told we would receive upon availability, but after mention to the bellhop, he took care of the issue and made sure that we got upgraded to an awesome suite. Kudos to him.

The major star deduction comes from how the staff handled an incident after the wedding. One of our wedding guests helped bring back a few of our personal items from the wedding reception to the hotel.
These items included a large Nordstrom bag and two box fans (it was really hot) which were left in the lobby bar with all the other guests as everybody wound down the evening. My wife and I weren't told that these items were left in the bar, and we didn't know to grab them, so they were left after the bar was closed, by ourselves and several other wedding guests. We have pictures from that night of these items in the lobby bar and inquired in the morning if they had them in lost and found (we were the last people to leave the bar). Management and security said that they did not have them so we asked if they would review their security camera as a large bag and two box fans don't just walk away. We received the run around from them many times and were never able to secure any footage. Multiple people also called while we were on our honeymoon including mother, mother-in-law, and maid-of honor, but they were unable to make any progress as to where the bag of valuables and box fans could have disappeared to. We have subsequently filed a police report which in attempt to file a claim with our homeowners policy. The Chicago detective called back and said that they have been the most uncooperative hotel that he has dealt with and had his own thoughts on what happened to the bags.

One would think that the River North Westin would try and take better care of their bride and groom who reserved a wedding block at their location. I've always been extremely pleased with Westin's in general but am extremely sour after this latest experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris G
Peter S, General Manager at The Westin Chicago River North, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Chris G.,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on tripadvisor. I can appreciate the kind comments regarding our luggage attendant team and am glad they were able to upgrade you to a larger suite. We will be sure to celebrate these kind words with them. I am aware of the alleged theft incident and am sorry your items never turned up. We respect our guest’s privacy and therefore do not have cameras in our lounge area. We were surprise to have learned that someone would want to steal two box fans left in the lounge area after a night of celebrating. Again, we thank you for your feedback.

Be Well,

Peter
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

We booked this hotel through a discount travel website and got an amazing deal off the published rate. The hotel was very very nice. A great location at Dearborn St and the Chi River. Tons of great restaraunts everywhere you looked, just 1 block from State St. shopping and 3 blovks from Michigan Ave shopping. 1 block from the EL.

Front Desk staff was very cuteous and very fast checking us in. Barely a wait at all. Door Men and Bell Hops were also very nice and quick.

The room was great. Very spacious, great bathroom and shower, comfy bed and wonderful view of the river and city. We stayed in room 426. A higher floor might have been a touch better, but this was great.

We did not take advantage of the onsite food or spa.

The only odd thing was the overly intense smell of perfume in the lobby/elevator area. It was very overwhelming and awful. But that was a minor issue and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for higher end hotel in the heart of the city.

Room Tip: River end rooms have the best view, otherwise just looking at close buildings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I chose the Westin River North Chicago for my client event (fully day conference with catering and cocktail reception) as, in my experient, there are generally few better hotels than a Westin in which to hold a conference. However, I'm sorry to say that this was the exception to the rule. From the beginning the event staff only seemed interested in securing my business and then failed to follow through - to the extent that they allowed me to book my event (knowing I was flying in from the UK) without informing me that there were no bedrooms available for me on the first night. They did nothing to assist me with finding alternative accomodation and even when I contacted the General Manager, nothing beyond a "I'm reaching out to you" email was ever done.
The event itself was a success, but I was made to feel that every request I made beyond what had been agreed in the contract was involved a major effort on behalf of the staff - to the point of them being rude. The person in charge of my event seemed ill-trained and equipped to deal with an important meeting.
After the event they forgot to bill me for additional AV costs, despite sending endless copies of a final master bill which was paid. When they did remember, they insisted that it be paid within two days, which was impossible...so they deducted the charge directly from my credit card without informing me resulting in the bill being paid twice. I have no doubt that they will refund the amount immediately but I really feel that this shouldn't have happened.

Interestingly I have received and completed client surveys from both Starwood and the hotel itself and made all the above points clear - no one has ever contacted me and it's doubtful that I will ever use a Westin as first choice again...pity

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

My hubby and I travel to Chicago annually and stayed here at the recommendation of our friends for the first time this past weekend.

we took an early flight and were allowed to pre check in (8 a.m.) and our room was ready by noon. they upgraded us to a corner suite which over looked the Chicago river. The bed and linens were wonderful!!

I have no complaints about the hotel employees and felt like they really tried to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. I have only two things that I didn't like:

*lighting in the room was horrible, especially the bathroom. they do have a make up mirror but the room was soo dark! this could easily be fixed and i'm over it :)

*two drinks at the bar in the lobby (bacardi coke and a grey goose gimlet) were 27.00. I understand we are in Chicago but it just seemed excessive. the bartender was very nice and the bar was welcoming. other than that, i have nothing at all to say that isn't 100% positive!

it may be worth noting that i've stayed in the Four Seasons, Hotel Palomar, and Hotel Sax while visiting chicago. I would say the Westin is my new favorite along with Palomar.

we'll be back !