“beware the bad reviews”

The Westin Chicago River North
Ranked #69 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 7, 2007

i had to be in chicago for business and the whole city was booked out. Having left my booking till late, i found the prices were out of control!
i searched pricline and found two choices - a 2 star hotel and the westin north river - for the same price! i chose the westin, but i was very concerned because of the bad reviews i read - especially highlighting poor service the reviewers had received.
I can only say that those people must have picked the one day of the year that the service was less than exemplary.
The location was fantastic, the room excellent and the service peerless.
Upon checkin i was automatically upgrade and given complementary breakfast the concierge organised a tour for me and followed up to see if i enjoyed it. The only downside was that i found out that all Westins in North America are now non-smoking, but that too was a good thing as i had a great stay AND cut down at the same time.
i mentioned the poor reviews to the staff as i was leaving and told them how wrong the reviews were - they were really upset that some guests had not enjoyed the hotel.
While the price at the time was high (but still the same as a two star property was advertising) i will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank mark l
Write a ReviewReviews (2,041)

Reviewed October 2, 2007

We had the pleasure of staying at the Westin for one night on 9/28/07 and the only negative we had was that we couldn't stay longer!

We got a great rate on their web site, a king club level room for the price of a regular king.

The club level gives you a larger room on a higher level (helps with street noise), simple breakfast, the exercise area and, I think, a happy hour. We only had time for breakfast, nothing else. The heavenly beds are just that, perfect night's sleep.

So many restaurants near by within walking distance. We choose Shaw's Crab House and had a nice early meal in their smoke free bar area.

Wandered into Harry Carry's (across the street) just after the Cubs win and the place was up for grabs, Fox news was there capturing the event. Fun!!

1  Thank sharla2
Reviewed September 18, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel several times and agree with other reviews regarding the excellent location and quality of the hotel property. I have only two negative comments regarding my most recent stay (ending today): As far as breakfast in the hotel is concerned you have the option of a limited pastry and fruit buffet or ordering from the menu. My first morning there I ordered from the menu and had a nice breakfast (four moderately sized slices of French toast, two sausage links, hash browns, juice and coffee) but it cost me $30. One has to leave the hotel to find other options which, given the great location, isn't a problem..one just needs to know that this is the situation. Secondly, and more irritating, is the fact that the hotel has no readily available kiosk for advance online airline check-in and printing of boarding passes. There are several "booths" where one can access the internet 24-7 but this is charged to your credit card at 50 cents a minute. This morning I walked to a another nearby hotel where I easily found a kiosk and printed out my travel documents. Beyond these issues this is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank upintheair-OMA
Reviewed September 17, 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Chicago River North for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The concierge was very helpful, the room was very nice and as expected, the Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Shower were excellent. I can't comment on the quality of food from room service or the on-site restaurants because we never partook. This Westin is located in the heart of the River North area of Chicago, which is home to a number of fantastic restaurants. It's a foodie's paradise. The location was perfect for our sight-seeing, we were able to comfortably walk to the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, the Art Institute, and the Sears Tower. We will definitely stay there again the next time we're in Chicago.

1  Thank brianhh
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Very much enjoyed a stay in a 16th floor river view room. Great views of pleasure boats along the river as well as sailboats in the lake to the south and east.

The room is great, what you'd expect from Westin. Decent size, comfortable layout. Great bedding, towels, and bath products. Did not have a separate tub and shower. Nice HD flat screen TV. Apple computer in the room.

The lobby is warm and comfortable. Excellent location. Had good service all around, I would not hesitate to recommend a stay here.

1  Thank cliff_rock
Reviewed August 8, 2007

OK, let me warn you--this is a bit of a rant.

I am a Starwood Platinum member who travels a lot. Typically I stay at W's, Westins and Sheratons. Geographically, this hotel is well-located and some of the rooms have nice views of the river. However , I digress . . .

Usually, when in Chicago, I stay at the W Lakeshore, but I tried out the Westin Chicago River North because of the high ratings on this site as well as its proximity to the Chicago office of the company I joined a couple of months ago. Upon arrival, the person who was checking me in at reception answered the phone and, after a moment, actually rolled his eyes (not to me in a wink-wink conspiratorial way, just in general pissed off) while he was speaking to the guest who was calling. (I figured my front desk friend was just having a bad day.) Later, I found out that my flustered friend only programmed one of my two cardkeys, so I had to go back to reception after going to dinner. Since I was there, I thought I would do the hotel a favor and mention the incident that occurred earlier, as I'd think most hotels would want their staff members to be polite when working the front desk. Thus, I waited for the on-duty front desk manager, William, to end a phone call he was on. The call seemed to go on for a bit, and it became apparent that the guest on the other end was clearly not happy with his/her accommodations for some reason.

I was pretty surprised when I heard William raise his voice to almost shouting level and say to the guest, "No, I will *not* reduce your rate!!!" His outrage was quite obvious to all of us waiting for service, as he flailed his free hand and scrunched up his face. Upon hanging up, he turned to his staff and said quite dramatically, "Send housekeeping to Room [insert room number here]." One of them asked "Is he checking out early?" William retorted "Yes!!!" Then, he turned to we waiting guests and said very pointedly and loudly "And if any of *you* are thinking about checking out early, let me just tell you there is not one room left in the city tonight!!!" I realized then where the guy who checked me in got his training. I told William that I found his behavior to be quite unprofessional, especially as a manager, and he said "How dare you--you don't even *know* me!" I replied "Of course I don't know you; it's merely my impression as a guest in this hotel who observed you shouting at someone on the phone from behind the front desk where everyone could see and hear you. And then to be brought into it!" He just rolled his eyes at me and crossed his arms and said something like "Whatever!"

I finally got back to my room and called Starwood Preferred Guest hoping I could switch hotels, but William was right about things being booked up. Suffice it to say, I will never stay at that hotel again, and I'll warn anyone who broaches the idea away from it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank KimberlyQ
Reviewed July 12, 2007

My parents had gotten us a gift certificate for this hotel, so we needed to contact the hotel directly for reservations. It took four phone calls and speaking w/ the manager on duty to actually book the room. (Two of the phone calls I was on hold for 1/2 hour. The third call I was forwarded to catering.) We were charged for breakfast which was supposed to be included. Three phone calls later and it still isn't resolved. They couldn't find the gift certificate which I turned in at the front desk.

The room was fine, but the service is lousy. There are too many hotels in the city to have to put up w/ bad customer service.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple