“Loved this hotel”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #64 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We have tried many hotels in Chicago: all well located and comfortable. The Westin Michigan has the best location: almost by the lake, right on Michigan Avenue by its best shops. We will definitely come back. Hotel lobby is nice and comfortable, rooms were spacious (for a big city) and beds were heavenly.
Coffee in the hall in the mornings is a great touch.

Stayed: July 2007
Write a ReviewReviews (2,671)

Reviewed July 14, 2007

Like many other reviews I have to say this hotel gets full marks for its central location, but apart from that the standard in this Westin is below what we would expect from the Westin Chain. It certainly is not comparable with other 4 star Starwood hotels or even other 4 stars hotel within this area of Chicago.

Try a bit harder please.

Reviewed July 12, 2007

We stayed at the Westin on Michigan Ave during the week of 4th of July. There were many activities nearby and the hotel was in close proximity to most tourist destinations. We were allowed to check-in early (10am) at no extra charge. (Just ask!) We had no complaints. The other hotels in the area charge more but are in the same location as the Westin to local restaurants, shopping, etc.. and you can't beat the access to transportation. (Do not take a cab as it is close to free trolley service stops in the summer months). Our bed was excellent. The room was average sized, small for my taste, but clean and well kept. If you stay at the Westin, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2007

This is an average Westin.Good beds, good location. Decor ok. Room size average. Got a "deluxe " room with points, nothing really deluxe about it. At 7pm we had to wait to check in , rooms weren't ready. Asked express service to attend to some gnats that were at the window and had to request this 3 times. All in all sl. below par for a Westin but still nice.

Reviewed July 11, 2007

I stayed here for one night for work in July. I had requested early check in when I booked my trip and was given early check in. My room was near the elevator but I could not hear much distraction at all. The room was clean. I could see the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue from my room which was nice. The in-room internet worked quite well.

The elevators worked very quickly which was a nice surprise.
The concierge suggested a lunch place around the corner- Mrs Parks- which had good sandwiches and salads- service could have been better.

I used Express Check out.
I have been staying at a lot of Westins lately and this one is fine- definitely not better than average but not worse either.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2007

I offer a counterpoint to several other reviewers. Early check-in at 1:30 p.m. was on the money despite it being the crowded, Fourth of July week. Room was comfortable with a more than ample bathroom. Staff courteous and requests quickly acted upon (e.g. when I informed Service Express that the ice machine on the 26th floor was not in order, it was up and running within hours). Of course, location is a stand-out for North Michigan Ave. shopping, Rush Street pubs, etc. The Grill on the Alley -- just off the lobby -- is a plus.

Granted, decor in the guest rooms is not typical of the Westin Brand,
but I encountered NO problems with room size, room temperature, water
pressure, thin walls or haphazard housekeeping. Overall -- I stay at more than 25 Starwood properties a year -- this is a most satisfactory hotel. And, for my prepaid, web-site-only price of $149.00/night, the Westin Michigan Avenue is a good- to great value.

NOTE TO SPG MEMBERS: The Hotel offers two floors of SPG rooms but no Club lounge. They upgrade Platinum -- maybe Gold -- members to rooms with unbeatable views of Michigan Ave. or the lake and the Gold Coast. Add the views, and you have a hotel to which you will return.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2007

As many people have mentioned the location is great! It is fun being right in the heart of all the shopping and there are so many places to eat nearby. We had a car as well that we used to explore the city
- the hotel had a valet service for the car which was pretty good except for the fact that they stop valeting the cars at 11pm and you have to bring it around to the garage yourself. (An issue for us as we are travelling with a baby.) For $42/day I wuold hope to be able to drop off and pick up my car without hassle.

The staff in the lobby were generally pretty helpful. It does seem to
get very crowded and busy - lots of groups seem to stay at this hotel. The atmosphere in the lobby was pleasant and welcoming.

The rooms are a bit small though they have all the amenities one would need. We were on a SPG floor and had complimentary water in our room and access to fresh coffee down the hall in the mornings which was a nice treat (though we could brew in room as well). The bathroom was very spacious - the towels could have been a little softer but the robe was nice. The amenities were the typical westin ones - fine but not as nice as the ones at other Starwood chains (like the W who uses Bliss!) The crib delivered for our son was perfect and even had a little floor mat and blanket that came with it. The chaise lounge in our room was great. We liked the fact that the fridge was a regular mini fridge and not the new ones that practically record a fee when you open a door! The bed was the typical westin heavenly bed - duvet and pillows were great. For some reason the sheets on this one weren't as soft as on other westin beds, but aside from that, very comfy. The CD player/clock radio was nice - when we enetered the room soft music was playing which was a nice touch.

One thing I noticed was that we could easily hear people walking down
the hall past our room and in fact could hear the phone ring in an adjoining room as well. Luckily this happened more during the day. That said, my apologies to any of our neighbors who surely heard my son during his middle of the night wakeups...

All in all it was a great getaway for us. The central location of this hotel and the quality of the rooms and staff were very good. If we were to return to Chicago, I would certainly consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family