“modern, stylish, fabulous” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“modern, stylish, fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2007

I was in Chicago for a conference and the conference hotel was booked, so I made reservations at the Westin on a whim and because of the positive reviews here. Wow--I was so impressed and happy I chose this hotel! The location is perfect, the decor is elegant, the staff was helpful, and the beds are, as they advertised, heavenly. I would definitely stay here again and am already planning a return trip this summer.

The only negatives I can report about this hotel are the business center (the hotel charges a $2.99 internet activation fee and $1 or so per minute of use; I've never had to pay for internet service at a hotel) and the exorbitant prices of food at the restaurant ($2.50 for half a grapefruit is laughable). But these two minor things aside, this hotel is great.

Stayed March 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Korean first
dallas, texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2007

My husband and I went to Chicago for our anniversary in January and we had a great time. The hotel is in a prime location. We walked everywhere (we were there four days and took a cab only twice). The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was clean...it smelled good and the bed was truly "heavenly."

• Liked — The bed and the bar
  • Disliked — no shuttle from midway airport
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank rahquel
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

First, let me say that the Hotel's location is great! Located right on the Magnificent Mile and across from great shopping and the John Hancock Building. Lots of restaurants, and great stores like Bloomingdales (across the street), Macy's,etc.

There is also a great restaurant in the hotel called "The Grill" that has awesome steaks and heaping portions or everything. So, let's just say you won't starve.

Now, our room: a one bedroom (rather small and has a king size bed, work desk, minibar, and a rather old fashioned TV. The bathroom is indeed outdated and has water stains, rikety toilet seat, falling grout and not even a proper towel rack. Steams up the mirrors as there is no fan. Our walls were paper thin and we could hear any and everything outside in the corridor and the phone ringing in the room next to ours. All the doors here automatically close and not quietly. We hear doors slam shut all day and night in our room all the way down the hall. It starts early in the morning to late nights. Bring ear plugs!

Service: Maid service is very inconsistent. Sometimes they will replace the bottled water in the rooms ($5/small bottle), and sometimes they don't. Sometimes your disposable coffee cups are replace and sometimes they are not. Sometimes there will be plastic garbage cans and sometimes not. Other then that, they do come and do a decent job of cleaning the room. We left our laptops on the desk and they were not disturbed. A good sign. So security is not an issue.

TV: Service is horrible. We were watching a movie half way and it got completely distorted and calling the hotel express service line was a waste of time. There was nothing they could do but they did say they would remove the charge. You also have to call them to reset the movie menu as it's not there when you first turn on the TV.

Phone: Before we could make any calls or toll free calls, we had to call the same express service line to get them to reset the phone to allow that service.

Suggestion: I would seriously consider spending your money on other great hotels that are close by here like the Hilton Suites, The Drake, and the Four Seasons which all are in the next blocks surrounding this hotel. Would we stay here again? No, because we feel that the hotel is in need of a serious upgrading and the staff need a refresher in customer service and detail job reviews. A quick note. The front desk staff and the doormen are great and they do a great job!

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank Kittyhawk62
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2007

Have stayed here many times.
Its a great location beside the Hancock Building within reach of everything.
Rooms are very comfortable and large.Bed are the "heavenly beds' which are just that!
Most of the staff members have worked here for a long time and they all take pride in what they do. Excellant in all departments and create a real home feel about the hotel.Genuine and friendly.
The "Grill on the Alley" bar is fantastic.Not like your typical hotel bar.Serves great steaks and the house red wines are very good.
The hotel gym is adequate but if you feel like a run then you are next to the lake so a run there is one of the best.Run north as when you turn around to run back you have the wonderful Chicago skyline as a backdrop.
A great hotel in a great city!!!!

Stayed February 2007
3 Thank Burren
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2007

Feb 16-19
Great stay at the Westin, Staff were nice and met all expectations. I checked in at 10am and they went above and beyond to give me a room.

Do not pay attention to the others complaining about the room temperature because i had no such problem.

The room was perfect and the view and location was quite nice.

THE ONLY PROBLEM:
I've been to plenty of hotels and i was not amused at the person cleaning my room. I mean she couldnt even straighten the magazines i left on the counter much less discard tge empty the wine bottles i left.

I scrutinize more then others so maybe another person staying might not notice little things like this but i have stayed in Red rood inns to Four seasons and I know what i am looking for.

Hope this helps.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank NewyorkFran
St. Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2007

As the title reads I normally book Boutique Hotels but when I traveled to Chicago early this month my company booked the Westin on Michigan Avenue for my stay. I was very disappointed at first but quickly changed my views once in town.
My car dropped me off at the entrance in 1 degree weather I stepped out of the car and my bags were taken in for me without a second thought. There was no line at the check in counter which made me very happy after reading horror stories of waiting to get checked in. The check in time was supposed to be around 3pm I think but I had arrived at 10:30am and had my room within minutes.
I did not request any room in particular b/c arrangements had been made for me via my company.
I was lucky enough to be in a room a good distance from the elevators thus cutting down on noise in the hallways.
Upon entrance to my room I was surprised at just how large this room was I was not expecting that. The beds looked divine as did the shower.
My first complaint came with the frozen windows which I knew would eventually melt and leave puddles of water on the floor. I called down to the front desk and they sent up a couple of guys to take a look and then inform me there was nothing they could do except put towels on the ledge since the windows are single payne glass...which was fine with me...remember this is an old building. The room was warm....my solution was to leave the drapes open the entire stay (the windows were iced over so no one could see in my room). This worked perfectly.
I went down to the bar downstairs to have a bite to eat seeing as the last thing I wanted to do was sit in the traffic b/c of the snow to get ot my original lunch choice.
The food at the bar was delicious I had the Blackened Chicken Sandwich. The service at the bar was below average. With two bartenders/servers and less than 10 people in the bar at the time I arrived I expected to eat and be gone in at least an hour....that never happened. Oh well the shops were still open by the time I finished so no big deal.
I was very impressed with the bellmen that helped me get two cabs (the first had no interest in driving me to Tiffany's..not a far walk by the way but remember 1 degree and snowing hard outside). After shopping most of the afternoon I headed up to my room for a warm shower to get ready for a company event that night. The shower is just as the name states...heavenly.
One last complaint would be the number of channels offered on the tv...I don't think more than 6 came through.

Okay on to all the raves:
Bed...fabulous
Staff: Unbelievable: there were at least two companies in town while I was there: my company had a huge group of people as well as conferences and meetings. I never saw an unresponsive or frowning face from the Westin staff. They were ready for the challenge and in my opinion exceeded expectations. Always helpful during our conference. They were always more than willing to help with places to go out at night.

There is a starbucks in the lobby but please do not let this fool you into believing it is a full service true starbucks b/c it is far from it. But if you just want a basic cup of coffee it hits the spot. Just don't expect quick service again.
There is a gift shop which provides just about everything you should need.

I never saw housekeeping while in this hotel yet my room was spotlessly cleaned daily.

Great location, great staff, and well planned events are what makes this hotel a must stay again for me.

Stayed February 2007
4 Thank Ellyanne
Bourbon, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2007

We got our room at the great rate of $119 a night and it was money well spent. The Westin had a great location, great staff, and comfortable rooms. I was really surprised when I called to ask if they had any fingernail polish remover and a humidifier I could use and amazingly said yes!! Everything was perfect... the only thing that could have made me happier is if they would have offered free or at least not expensive breakfast. We paid0 $6 for a tiny cup of fruit and $16 for an omelette.

• Liked — amount of comfort for price paid
  • Disliked — food prices
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple