“Heavenly Bed saved the weekend!!”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #56 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 20, 2004

The Westin's "Heavenly Bed" is just that - heavenly, but if you take the comfy bed out of the equation, I'd lower my rating a couple notches. With the exception of the bed, and great location, this hotel was somewhat disappointing. Our package included breakfast, yet no mention of this was made by the front desk at check-in. Likewise, my husband had arranged for flowers and a bottle of wine to be in the room at check-in, but you guessed it....nothing there! Two phone calls to the front desk remedied both situations, but it would have been nice if they followed through on what they said they were going to do! (A dirty glass in the bathroom upon check-in also set the tone for the weekend!!)

3  Thank travelswkids

A TripAdvisor Member
Champaign, IL
Reviewed December 20, 2004

We stayed for one night the 17th of December. I liked this place because the location is great. The front desk person that checked us in was just NOT friendly and for the life of me I can't understand why people are like that at a hotel? How do they keep their job if they can't even smile? I was wishing the man next to her checked us in because he says to the folks walking up, "Well Hello and Welcome to the Westin!" Now, that makes one feel welcome. So, obviously, all the front desk staff is not snotty. Anyway, there were just small complaints I had like the wood on the vanity in the bathroom was chipped and could have used a good stain job. The paint around the doorknob in the bathroom was peeling. Those are little things that I think are inexusable and would take no time at all to fix. I notice those "little things" as a former travel agent. The bed was great, but then again, Starwoods are known for being "heavenly." The bath, not so much! The shower head was so high that you had to be a giant in order to probably feel some pressure. If I'm at a hotel, I better have some GOOD water pressure! The room size suited us as we were only there one night and it had a desk and a nice chair. I'm from Chicago so didn't utilize the concierge at all. We paid $139.00 and I think it was worth it for the location.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 3, 2004

My family of 6 recently traveled to Chicago for a week. I wanted to stay at the Peninsula, but could not afford 2 rooms there. The Westin seemed to be in the location that I wanted, so even though the reviews weren't that great - I booked it. The lobby is nothing to speak of, the rooms were small - but we had an awesome view of Michigan Ave. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable, the bathroom was pretty decent. This is not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but definately not the worst (and I am pretty picky!!) So I would recommend this hotel to those people wanting to stay on Michigan Ave.

16  Thank megandg
Reviewed November 27, 2004

We spent two nights at the Westin Michigan Avenue last week. The location and the heavenly bed were great. The room was small. The heavenly bath was a joke. A curved shower curtain rod and a two headed shower in a old small tub shower. The first night we had to call maintenance because the pipe had fallen off the bathroom sink and was flooding the bathroom when you used the sink. It took them three trips to get it fixed. The restaurant was ok but nothing special. We will probably try somewhere else next time.

3  Thank b2buck
Reviewed November 9, 2004

We just returned from a 4 night stay for a pleasure visit. Got Westin at Priceline for $90. Although the room was smallish, everything else was fine. Especially excellent was the service from everyone, gracious and friendly, from beginning to end. When I asked for 2 beds, non-smoking, and late check-out, it was granted immediately. We got the 15th floor in the old building, which had a great view. We felt welcome and appreciated.

31  Thank Jed3
A TripAdvisor Member
Ellisville, Illinois
Reviewed November 1, 2004

I was looking for a nice hotel on Michigan Ave for a getaway with my husband. I read so many reviews I didn't know where to stay. Went through priceline and my choice was made for me. I couldn't have made a better choice.

We thought the room was great. It was clean and pleasant. I'm not sure why people complain about the size, it is a hotel room and we found it adequate in size. The "heavenly bed and shower" are just that and I mean it!! Seven pillows on the bed, it was great. I don't consider myself very picky re a shower but after I came home to my shower, I was missing the dual showerheads.

I had read about the pricey minibar and agree. . . avoid it. Who needs it with so many great places to eat so close. The Cheesecake Factory next door was fun. Our favorite though was the "Big Bowl" just a few blocks away. Great thai/asian type food with stir fry bar. Can't wait to go back and take our kids.

This was also close to American Girl Place and, practically next door to Water Tower Place.

We also were right next to the elevator and had no problems. Rooms were quiet.

Recommend if you want to sleep past 8am, just hang the do not disturb, the maid comes early.

The staff was courteous, remember this is Chicago.

Would not hesitate to stay here if Michigan Ave shopping is your goal. I also loved State Street ie. Marshal Fields, Carson Piere Scott and would love to stay that direction too.

33  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 26, 2004

I am basically a happy Starwood platinum frequent guest but this was disappointing. The hotel location on Michgan Ave. was the only plus.

The room was OK but the staff was very indifferent even though they never seemed very busy.

I had a very medicocre experience for $250 including tax. The view from the room was nice but otherwise it was very ordinary - not even the good Molton Brown cosmetics, just the Westin house brand.

No pool, weak excercise room (when is the Westin Workout coming to Chicago?) There is no club level to upgrade to either.

After I left they charged me for for a minibar purchase even though I never got a key to open it, but they did promise to credit it when I called accounting to complain.

Next time in Chicago I will stay down the street at the Sheraton where they have a nice pool and workout center and a nice club lounge.

14  Thank jboboski