“Great Location - No SPG points for Travelocity Package”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #57 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We got a deal though Travelocity on a weekend getaway that included this hotel. Perfect location for shopping, dining and sightseeing on Michigan Avenue and somewhat convenient to arrive by public transportation - not a knock on the hotel, but rather on the public transportation system. We were taking the train from Midway and needed to make one transfer and "take a guess" at which stop made for the closest walk tot he hotel. Like all Westins, this one does not fall short of smelling wonderful the moment you walk through the front door. Rooms are decent size, very clean and tastefully updated. The Heavenly bed made for wondful nights sleep and the Heavenly bath made for a shower that lasted a bit longer than normal! The windows do have a pop-out feature which was nice for some fresh air. Because we booked on Travelocity, we did not receive SPG points on our account.

Room Tip: Michigan Avenue is busy all night with emergency vehicles. I have stayed here several times and eac...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jake B
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Hi Jake B,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. we are so glad that you enjoyed our location and that your found our accommodations to be comfortable. We apologize that your reservation did not earn you SPG points, and we would be happy to further explain why if need be.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

I have been to Chicago several times in the past several years, This was my first time staying at the Westin. I was extremely happy with the check in on Friday evening. The Staff at the Front desk was extremely helpful in all ways possible. Front Desk Agent Mo was so professional, friendly, patient and helpful in accommodating. I'm new to the Starwood Program, and Ms. Mo treated me like I was Platinum. Kudos to her. Rooms went beyond my expectations from the décor to the bedding. The Bar area was great for unwinding after shopping and doing the Bus tour. Room Service went beyond the call of duty, Everything on my order was how I ordered it. I will definitely be staying at this property in the near future. Over all I give 5*****

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Hi Rick G,

Thank you for the great feedback. We sincerely appreciate your mention of Mo, as we have celebrated her hard work after reading this. We are also glad that your room was comfortable and that you loved our in room dining delivery. We can't wait to have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you are in Chicago.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Right across from the 2nd tallest building in Chicago makes finding this place easy. Plus we were just a 1 minute walk and quick 95 floor elevator ride away from the coolest bar in town. Bell hops were great. The hotel bar was great. Room was quiet and clean. Easy access to taxis and a block from Lake Michigan. Was super busy so lobby was always crowded. But that's because the Milwaukee brewers were staying there to play the cubs. Overall a great stay

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank smallacer

Hi smallacer,

Thank you for the excellent feedback! We are delighted that you took advantage of our location to enjoy your Chicago experience. Thank you for recognizing our luggage attendants as well as our housekeeping department for keeping the rooms tidy. We look forward to the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Four nights at this location in May 2014 and I was very pleased. Location is perfect on Michigan Avenue. I had a beautiful room facing the lake. The bedding was wonderful; robes were lovely; Starbucks coffee in the room was plentiful. Love those leaf-shaped soaps! The lobby bar was a bit noisy and crowded in the evening, but the service was great. The business facilities were excellent. I would definitely return for vacation!

Room Tip: Suggest a lake view - higher floors
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Hi Brenda B,

Thank you for the great comments! We are delighted that you enjoyed our location as well as the fun little things like our soap! We can't wait to have you back for another fun vacation.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

I have stayed here on several occasions and have always enjoyed my stay. The staff is always professional, friendly, and accommodating. The lobby is a great place to relax -- comfy chairs and soothing environment. The bar/restaurant is a huge plus -- great place to unwind after a day of shopping. Breakfast was very good served by friendly staff. Beds are comfortable and room size is adequate. A few tips -- parking is very expensive ($67/night), and be sure to request a room far away from elevators. Hotel guests returning into the wee hours can lead to a lot of noise if near the elevators. Overall a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank feldon2000

Hi feldon2000,

Thank you for the great comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed our location and that you had a great time at The Grill bar. We hope to welcome you back soon to a room away from the elevator.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I'm giving an overall star count of 3. The location was fabulous and easy to get to shopping and the conference I had to attend for work. The bed was exactly what I'd expect a Westin bed to be.

First, I'm fed up with hotels of the Westin's calibre charging for internet. Most lower-mid end hotels offer this for free and rightly so - it is not an expensive commodity to provide anymore and mid-upper end hotels just charge for it to pad the bottom line. I'm a Starwood member and I was told that as a Starwood member you receive free WIFI at Westin hotels. That's actually not true - the individual hotel itself decides that. The Westin in Chicago didn't offer free WIFI to Starwood members, nor was I placed in a room for members. I was on a lower floor that faced the John Hancock centre (an impressive building, but it does tend to block natural light when in a lower hotel floor). So this location completely failed at the only membership privileges that appealed to me.

The bathroom was dated and the desk needed dusting. The lack of dusting made me wonder what other housecleaning shortcuts had been taken.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Laura R
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Hi Laura R,

Thank you for the informative comments. We sincerely apologize for any confusion in regards to your SPG benefits at our location. Next time you stay with us, please feel free to request an SPG floor so we can accommodate your free internet expectations.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I enjoy staying at Westin Hotels. This one has a great location, friendly staff. The only issue for me was the noise in the hallway, people walking by and talking loudly, just something to mindful about. and my room (1514) was right across the hall from the elevators so that probably added to it. that wouldn't stop me from staying here again. My room looked right out onto Michigan Ave and the John Hancock building, great view

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Hi renden,

Thank you for taking the time to recognize our associates and accommodations. We apologize for the noise issue at one point during your trip, and we will be happy to place you in a room away from elevator traffic next time. Thank you again and we will see you next time!