“Great location, value”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #56 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I attended a conference at this hotel, staying for 5 nights. The hotel was clean and nice. I appreciated the great downtown location. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I had a special club room that had better decor than the regular rooms. The workout facility is really nice and overlooks city streets. The only complaint I really have is that some of the food that was served by the hotel for our conference was underwhelming. I ate nearly all of my meals as buffets provided by the hotel for our company. It was certainly serviceable but many of the dishes lacked flavor. It is a fun hotel.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank ClevelandBeachBoy
There are newer reviews for The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed at the Westin Michigan Avenue in late July 2008. This hotel is in a wonderful location and it is convenient to walk to everything! The staff at the hotel was so friendly and accommodating. The rooms were very nice and roomy.
I would not want to stay anywhere else if I went back to Chicago!
What a great city!! We had a wonderful time!

1  Thank cjs4
Reviewed July 24, 2008

Review by a Kansas City traveler
Has to be one of best locations in the city. Rooms are efficient and comfortable, great beds. The fitness room had ample space and good well-maintained equipment. Liked the bar but did not have dinner in the grill. Concierge staff made great recommendation for restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank prairieguy50
Reviewed July 23, 2008

As the other reviewers stated - I too was a little skeptical after reading some of the other reviews. However, I got the best laugh out of the traveler who wanted a better view but overlooked a brick wall. The minute you arrive in the city - you can see the buildings are all pressed next to each other so not everyone will have a great "view".

Regardless, my hotel stay was more than I expected. I booked the hotel via the Westin toll free number and the customer service agent was very helpful with different dates and prices.

The location was perfect for my family. American Girl Place right across the street, Disney Store, Hershey, Borders - shopping for me at Ralph Lauren's, Bloomingdales, Filene's and H&M - all within a city block. (Traveling with two eight year olds)

The room was very nicely furnished - two double Heavenly beds, a chaise lounge, desk, dresser, minibar. No, there wasn't a flat screen but personally, I could care less if the TV is a flat screen..I watch a bit of the news, the weather and I am off exploring the city and doing things "outside" of the room. Nice size bathroom area - hot showers in the AM. Clean carpet - clean room. USA Today at more door in the AM. Hairdryer and the usual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. (which some hotels have cut back on). My view were other buildings. But got to people watch a bit.

My sister and I hit the lobby for the 5:30 - 7:30 - R&R time - massages if you want as well as cold tea & fruit.

We checked out the fitness room but did not use it - but there were a handful of people in their working out while looking at the Hancock building. Nice equipment.

Check in personnel was very friendly. GIft shop personnel friendly. Asked the concierge for some information - she was very matter of fact. I wouldn't say she was over friendly..just business like. I actually got information about a place to eat breakfast from the concierge/information girl at Water Tower Place - now she was friendly and more informative. Used the hotel valet to park the carcar ($46 per day) which was around the norm for most of the hotels.

Our maid was really nice - gave us extra towels and coffee with a smile when we asked for it. Smiled when we asked her anything - seemed to like her job.

We walked three blocks Wednesday night from our hotel to Lake Shore to watch the fireworks at Navy Pier (Fireworks every Wednesday and Saturday night). Nice walk - felt safe (we didn't take wallets or purses) and enjoyed the fireworks. Lots of locals out walking their dogs, other families walking to enjoy the fireworks, door men greeting us with a good evening.

We travel to Chicago every summer - we will stay at the Westin again!

3  Thank FloridaTraveler62
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Great location if you want to shop till you drop as it's right on Michigan Avenue! Bar is good and busy with guests and people off the street.

Room was large (2 x double beds) and clean. Unfortunately there was quite a lot of noise from the corridors when people were walking past talking - one of the first hotels I've been in where this was a problem.

Hotel was busy with conferences and meetings but I think that is true of most hotels in Chicago.

Reviewed July 22, 2008

We have stayed at four Chicago hotels ( Ambassador East, Majestic, Drake, westin) in the year since my daughter started working in Chicago, this is the only one I would not recommend. We were put in room 1011, which is behind the elevator cable shaft. All night we heard what I call the "zipper in a dryer " sound, only it was louder. I came close to taking a blanket to the lobby and sleeping in a chair. In the morning when we complained, the clerk said 'we checked in too late (5:00 PM)' and also said that 'the hotel engineer was working on the problem'. If she knew of a problem, why did she put someone in that room? This is probably the last Westin experience I have.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank miksak4
Reviewed July 22, 2008

We stayed here for a girls weekend and it was perfect. GREAT location, good service, lovely rooms, reasonable prices. I would recommend to anyone traveling to Chicago who wants to stay downtown!!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends