“$409 for a MURPHY BED... for a PLATINUM Starwood Hotels member”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #54 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 24, 2008

If you are part of the Starwood platinum guest program, don't expect a decent bed, not to mention any kind of an upgrade. Not at this property.
I arrived at 3am., Chicago time, due to my delayed flight. Obviously, I had to go to bed ASAP as there was a 7am meeting. Checked in and, went up to the room. Here's the big surprise...
****Got a TINY room with a MURPHY BED... for $409!!!!!!! [--]
I've never been so insulted, not even in hotels where I have NO status. As a platinum member, I would have expected a decent room... not THE WORST room possible. I don't care if I checked in at 3am... they should not have put me in that room to begin with. Especially not at the rate I booked it at. For $409 I could probably have stayed in a five star property. The main reason why I picked this hotel was the fact that it was a Starwood hotel and, I am usually treated like a VIP at these properties due to my loyalty.
At 3am., I did not have the time nor energy to spend arguing with the front desk. When I called down to complain, they said that they'd give me a 50% reduction off my rate. Whoop dee freakin doo...
Since I went from the hotel to my meeting and then straight to the airport to catch my next flight for the next meeting, there really wasn't much time to do anything about this abysmal experience. If they treat platinum members like this, I can't imagine how they'd treat a regular guest on a pleasure trip. Just stay away... far away.
This experience makes me really think twice about my platinum status with Starwood.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank banquisha
There are newer reviews for The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago

Reviewed June 17, 2008

This was a 4-star hotel merely because of the location and restaurant, which is independently owned and operated. The room contained their "Heavenly Bed" and there was nothing "divine" about it.....it was hard and so were the pillows. The toilets are so noisy that you can hear a flush 3 rooms away and the halls are rather noisy as well. Climate control in the room was barely adequate while the hallways were like refrigerators. The Grill restaurant was the best part of the stay & we couldn't even earn Starpoints for that!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2008

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. We did replace our Heavenly Beds with the newest generation of Heavenly Beds this spring and have had great guest comments on them so we regret they were not to your satisfaction.

The Heating Ventilation and Cooling System was upgraded this Spring at a cost of $6 million dollars so it is surprising to read your comments. If you would contact me at the hotel and let me know what room you were in and I will advise engineering on this issue as well as the issue of hearing toilets on your floor flushing.

The Grill is run by an outside organization because Starwood realized a number of years ago that our guests are often better served by a selection of the finest restaurant companies in the country. At none of these outside establishments are starpoints awarded just as they are not awarded at any other establishment renting space from us. We do offer starpoints for room service use.

We invite you to return the next time in Chicago and contact me personally to make your arrangements.

Reviewed June 16, 2008

We recently had a wonderful 2 night stay at this hotel. From our greeting from the front desk clerk, to the bellman to housekeeping, our experience was excellent. The recent renovations were very noticeable and the hotel looked and smelled new. The room was very nicely appointed and the king size bed and bedding as good as home. You just can't beat this location. While we have been to Chicago many times in the past, this was our first time staying at this hotel. It will not be our last.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Went to Chicago for my bachelor party and ended up getting a great deal on the Westin through Priceline. After reading the reviews, I wasn't quite sure what I was getting myself into. After staying two nights, I must agree with pretty much all of the reviews.

The Pros:
Location. It's great. Right next to the John Hancock building and close to everything you want to see on Michigan Ave. Within walking distance to Rush St. as well. Plus an easy and pretty cheap cab ride pretty much everywhere.
The beds are pretty comfortable too even though they are doubles.

The Cons:
Outdated rooms. Thin walls. The rooms are very average. Our bathtub didn't drain. The walls are so thin, you can honestly hear everything going on down the hall or the room next to you.

The Lobby is nice and very inviting and they held our bags for us for free while we walked around before catching a cab to the airport.

If you can get this hotel for half of the normal price, go for it. If not, stay away!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tony W
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2008

Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback.

In Q1 2008,we completed a 12 million dollar room renovation,giving our rooms a fresh and soothing appearance so while our ooms did not appeal to you,they are very up to date in design. The final touch on the room renovation will be the addition of flat screen TV's this Fall.at a cost of almost $1 million dollars.

I do ask you to personally contact me for your next trip to our hotel so we can ensure your stay exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed May 15, 2008

I recently stayed here for work. When I got off the elevator and realized I was directly across from the elevator I was worried about the noise. But, since I wasn't going to be in my room very much I decided not to change rooms. I quickly realized that it wasn't the noise from the elevators that would bother me, but the noise from the room next door. I heard the phone ringing while I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and ran into the main room to answer it. I suddenly realized that the phone wasn't ringing in my room, but the room next door! I also heard, verbatum, conversations from the ladies next door to me as well! I never approached the subject with the hotel since these instances occurred while I was getting ready to leave my room and not at night. Whenever I did interact with the staff , they were nice and accommodating and the location was great. It's within easy walking distance to some great shopping and lots of restaurants. The room was comfortable and clean. It did not have a flat screen TV as most better hotels do. It has a small Fitness Center on the 3rd floor with 24 hr access with your room key. I did not personally pay for this room, so I cannot say whether it was a good value or not. All in all a good experience except for the thin guest room walls.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank JASNorthbrook

Thank you very much for your feedback. We apreciate the opportunity to be of service and invite you to join us again in the future.

I ask you to contact me personally so we may identify which room you were in during your stay. We wish to determine if there exists an engineering issue with the room you were in. Some muffled noise from a room next store is normal in a hpotel but your noise experience was excessive and we need to investigate it further.

We have received confirmation that we will receive flat screen TV's in Q3 of 2008. Ata cost of almost $1 million,these TV's will have the abiltiy to hook up your ipod and your computer to play music or movies of your choice.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

We are at your service.

Reviewed May 8, 2008

In the last year or two, my wife and I have stayed there twice. The first time, they put us in a room right by the elevator shaft. Noisy! It ruined our sleep and entire weekend.

Next time we stayed, as guests of some friends of ours, the air-conditioner did not work. The room was about 77 degrees all night. Stifling! It was so hot, I had to sleep with all of the covers off and no cloths on. I called for service, but none (effective, that is) ever showed up.

You can do much better than the Westin.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mcconthebus

Thank you for your feedback and for staying with us at The Westin Michigan Avenue. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

During the first 3 months of 2008,we installed a 4 pipe heating ventilation and cooling system that gives our guests complete individual control of their room temperature. This renovation was a $6 million enhancement to our hotel and ensures your next stay that your room will be your desired temperature.

We are at your service.

Reviewed May 5, 2008

The location of this Westin can't be beat, but the facilities are definitely showing their age.

I booked online, using SPG points and was able to do an early check-in. The room was small but well appointed with two double beds. I was on the SPG preferred floor (12th floor), with a view directly onto the John Hancock building. There was free water every day, as well as turn-down service.

Now the negatives. We had issues with the plumbing in the bathroom, and had to call housecleaning to fix it. It was fixed immediately. At the end of the stay, I noticed dried blood (ick!) on the duvet cover. The walls are paper thin. I could hear people in the adjoining room quite clearly. Thankfully, they weren't very noisy, but their morning noises were loud enough to wake me and I'm a pretty sound sleeper.

I stayed at this hotel because it was free with points. If I needed to pay out of pocket for my next visit, I'd probably choose another place.

Stayed: April 2008
WLCSHR, Director of Sales & Marketing at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2008

Thank you very much for your feedback. We take guest comments very seriously and welcome the opportunity to address them when they occur.

The Westin Michigan Avenue has just completed $12 million dollar renovation in Q1 2008. As an 18 year Westin employee who has stayed in the hotel numerous times prior to becoming part of the staff,our physical plant has never looked better due to the over $35 million invested by the owners in renovations since 2002. W are very proud of our facilities we compete very well with the best hotels in the city.

It good to see the operations team quickly fixed the plumbing yet we regret there was any issue at all.

The duvet should have been spotless and there is no excuse for it not being so. We apologize for the oversight and we hope you notified the front desk so we could rectify the mistake.

Our walls are normal wall thickness for a hotel and we regret that you were disturbed by the guests next door in the morning. They are not sound proof so some sound is going to come through them. When I moved to this assignment, I lived in the hotel for 2 weeks and this was never a problem.

The next time you visit the hotel, please contact me directly to make your reservation. We are at your service.