“Great Location/Great People”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #64 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my first trip to Chicago, and I was visiting for a conference that was held at the Westin. Overall, it was good experience. The hotel is very nice, and the location was perfect - easy city to get around, and the Westin is at the start of the magnificent mile, the water front, and a lot of great neighborhoods and famous restaurants.

The highlight of my stay, however, was the weekly a.m. run the hotel hosted for its guests. I had a chance to jog along the lake w/ the hotel HR director, and it was awesome. We not only had a great conversation, but he also gave me some key tips on what to do/where to go in Chicago. A very nice experience...

He mentioned the hotel will be renovated soon...and I would def. go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not near the elevator, and with a view. I had a room that was facing another building...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Hello Esilbe1,

Thank you for the delightful review! We are so glad that you were able to participate in our Running Club on Wednesday morning. We also appreciate you noting our great location and convenience. We hope to see you back in the near future for another nice job along the lake.

Kristin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,671)

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

This was a wonderful experience. My sisters and I stayed at the Westin over a weekend and had a fantastic time. The location is amazing. The customer service at the hotel was really fantastic. We had a special request that required support from the building engineer and he was extremely helpful and courteous. Really went above and beyond. I'd revisit this hotel in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2013
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Hello theguids,

Thank you for the excellent feedback! We are delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed our location and customer service. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We came into the city for just one night and the Westin was perfectly located. $15 cab ride to Union Station and Wrigley Field. Walked across street to the Signature Lounge and Dining at the Hancock Building. Shopping was great! The staff was more then nice, being from Memphis we were expecting the New York attitude, but the Westin staff was nothing but friendly. The bar was outstanding and service was fast and accurate. The rooms were what we needed, clean and spacious. We will be staying there again in November and December when we visit Chicago again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hello Mike N,

Thank you for the kind comments! We greatly appreciate your recognition of our friendly staff and great location. We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is the first review I have ever submitted. Writing this review seems worth the extra effort because my experience at the Westin Michigan Avenue was INCREDIBLE!! And given the high degree of interaction we had with the hotel, I think my assessment is pretty comprehensive and worth considering.

I recently got married at the Westin (to most amazing girl EVER!!). We had our wedding reception for 180 people in the hotel's Michigan Ballroom, welcome drinks reception at 'The Grill' steakhouse in the hotel, and my wedding guests who travelled from all over the globe booked a total of 75 rooms at the hotel.

We spent a ton of time in the hotel while planning the wedding and during our wedding week and had a chance to interact with almost every hotel staff member during my stay. From the bellman to the receptionist to housekeeping all the way to the General Manager of the hotel, every single person was incredible and extremely helpful. One may say that's it's because we had so many events there, but all our guests said the same thing. Even when something went wrong, the level of responsiveness made up for the error – For example, one of our guests needed to refrigerate some fresh food but their min-fridge was not working. When they mentioned this to housekeeping, an engineer promptly showed up with a new refrigerator from them to use in their room while their fridge was being fixed! That's service!! The service at our cocktail hour and reception was impeccable as well. Many of our guests commented on how professional and thoughtful the staff were during our events.

Hotel
I will agree that the hotel itself is a little dated, however the rooms and bathrooms were extremely clean and well maintained. The lake views from some of the higher floors are incredible and the Michigan Avenue facing rooms give you a great view of the Trump Tower and Magnificent Mile.

You always wonder if the food you have at the tasting will be as good as the food on the day given the volume that needs to be served in such a short period of time, but our guests loved the food at our wedding. Many people commented that it was the best wedding food they’d ever had! We ate a few times at "The Grill", which is the restaurant in the lobby of the Westin, and I can honestly say it is a top-notch steakhouse that I would recommend independent of the hotel.

Location
Above all, the location of the hotel is unbeatable. If you are visiting Chicago, I cannot think of a better location to be in. You have easy access to Lake Shore Drive in case you want to go North or South, and the Magnificent Mile is literally outside your doorstep.

All in all, I cannot think of another hotel I would rather have celebrated my wedding. This is a top class hotel that is run extremely well by a bunch of folks that always have a smile on their face!!

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake view or Michigan Avenue view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Hello Kunal S,

Thank you for the amazing review! It was a pleasure assisting you and your wife in creating an unforgettable wedding weekend. We truly appreciate this delightful feedback and the details about our associates, the food, comfort, etc. Please feel free to reach out to anyone whom you have interacted with if ever you'd like to revisit us anytime. We would love to welcome you back!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very nice, friendly staff. Clean rooms and comfortable bed. Excellent location, walking distance to Oak Street Beach on Lake Michigan and Water Tower Place for those who like to shop.
it's a cab ride to the theater district, but not a problem. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Hello tg7827,

Thank you for the kind comments! We appreciate you noticing our friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and great location. We can't wait to see you again next time!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice on weekend visits to Chicago. It's location is ideal for checking out the Magnificent Mile and many of hte major tourist attractions. The rooms are nice and comfortable, not luxurious, but great for a few nights. This was the only hotel in the area for a reasonable price when I was searching. I really don't know how they can offer such a good price, but this is my go-to location in the city.

When I visited in 2012 I noticed a distinct mildew smell in the lobby, but they seem to have corrected the problem, as it was totally gone and smelled nice this time around.

Only complaint, no matter how high we turned on the air conditioning, we couldn't get the room cool enough. Also, the room service breakfast is quite expensive and not worth it - get out of the room and head to any of the nearby restaurants.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Hi Emily W,

Thank you for the kind comments. We appreciate your recognition of our comfortable rooms and reasonable rates. We hope to welcome you back next time you visit Chicago.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Both O'Hare and Midway closed down due to storms. Amex quickly got me booked at this hotel. Staff got me into a great room and the whole hotel smelled like a spa. Love the clean white tea scent. In-room dining menu very healthy plus delivered promptly. Everyone I spoke with was delightful and made my "stressful" and unexpected stay over nicer than expected. And you can't beat the location! Now if the security lines at airport were shorter all would be good.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Hi Robin D,

Thank you for the delightful review! We sincerely appreciate your comments on our refreshing white tea scent, in room dining, and location. We hope to see you again soon and hopefully under less tressful circumstances.