“Pandemonium......no extra charge.”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #55 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding with our two young sons during St.Patrick's Day weekend. The Big Ten Basketball tournament was in town, and the entire Michigan basketball team was staying at this hotel. The holiday, coupled with the tournament crowd, would have overwhelmed most hotels. Even with all of the pandemonium, the staff nailed it. They were extremely helpful, and went above and beyond, to make sure my family had a pleasurable stay. The rooms were very nice and clean, and check in and out, were a breeze. As for location, it can't be beat. You are a short walk from sites, shopping and fantastic restaurants. My family and I had a great experience at the Westin (we were apprehensive at first, since this was our first hotel stay, with our 2 and 4 year old boys). I am happy to say, I can recommend the Westin, to my friends at Tripadvisor. Enjoy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1989Rebel
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Hi 1989Rebel,

Thank you so much for your kind words! You did catch the city at a very busy time and I am so glad you were still able to enjoy yourself. I am very happy to hear the staff was able to make sure you had everything you needed! Please be sure to come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

If you're looking for a great, comfortable hotel to stay in when you're in Chicago this is your place. I stayed here for work and it was easy to get in and out of in the morning and evenings. The staff was very welcoming and provided me with some great upgrades as an SPG Platinum member. The travel manager checked in with me to make sure I had everything I needed and that my stay was going well.

I stay in plenty of nice hotels and the usual thing that puts one over the top is quality customer service... The Westin Michigan Ave has Customer Service down cold.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank James1984_13

Hello James1984_13,

Thank you so much for your comments! We always love to hear when our guest get the best stay they possibly can. We hope you left feeling renewed and are very excited to welcome you back and make sure to come visit us for a getaway as well and see the city it is a great one!

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I am currently in the middle of my stay, and for a Westin, I am really disappointed. The check in was great and staff has been really nice. My first room was very blah, I guess I expected better for a hotel in this location.

Very inattentive to the unbelievable noise in the room next to me. I can empathize that people having kids in your room should expect some noise but this was unheard of.

I finally just made the demand that they move my room, which they did. The highlight is that I was upgraded to a suite.

Still, this hotel is super unmemorable, and the colors, touches, and furniture are as bland as I have ever seen in a hotel.

Amazing location and the bed is unbelievably comfortable. So, great staff, location and bed, but don't expect much from a frills point of view.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank vikebadgers

Hi vikebadgers,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay has been less than perfect. I hope the remainder of your stay is better! I am glad to hear that the staff was great with you and that you got to enjoy our heavenly bed. If there is anything I can do to assist whether you are still here or have left, please feel free to contact me at mark.serrano@westin.com. Should your future bring you back to Chicago I hope that you will reach out to us and receive the Westin experience you have come to know and deserve.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a great place to spend five days in Chicago. It is centrally located and the staff is very helpful. The rooms are pretty standard for an upscale hotel -- clean and fresh every day. Very close to shopping and historical sites but still a quiet place at night. The concierge was extremely helpful for dinner suggestions. She even called ahead to make our reservations. The view down Michigan Avenue is incredible and the location allowed us to get to all the restaurant and shopping locations easily.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BruinSeniorTraveler

Hi BruinSeniorTraveler,

Thank you so much for sharing the great experience you had here with us! It sounds like you were able to enjoy Chicago and our location. Hopefully we will see you again this summer!

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Our room was dirty (see pics) hotel is run down , old, and dingy. Beds are not heavenly! Location is great but this place does not deserve the westin name. Four points at most! The rooms lack personality and the hallways are reminiscent of a hospital.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank RonBoss

Hi RonBoss,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience was such a negative one. I apologize for the condition in which you found your room. We would like to hear from you more personally on how we can improve please reach us at 01030frontoffice@westin.com.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

At check in front desk staff switched room to 2 queens instead of king and included free Internet. Rooms are nice and clean not in the room much anyway. Beds super comfy. Location is awesome. Price was great. Friendly staff. Easter weekend is very busy in Chicago.

Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank lamp07

Hello lamp07,

I am so glad to hear you were able to enjoy your holiday here! Chicago is a very busy city when it comes to holidays. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! Please make sure you return and visit us!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Some employers here, they never smile. Their service is really really poor. They make me feel guilty about myself to ask them some simple traveling questions. Sometimes I may think the staffs are from the manager's family. The way they treat the customers, I can't even understand. Horrible experience!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yang o

Hello yang o,

On behalf of myself and my team please accept our sincerest apology. We are here to help ensure your stay is the best it can possibly be and to hear that the service was terrible is very upsetting. Please know you should never feel bad asking us for help with anything. I hope that you give us another chance to provide you with the Westin service you know and deserve! If you are to return please reach out to us at 01030frontoffice@westin.com, so that we can ensure you have a 100 percent better experience.