“Don't get expectations up”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #53 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Waterloo, Iowa
“Don't get expectations up”
Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I am currently in the middle of my stay, and for a Westin, I am really disappointed. The check in was great and staff has been really nice. My first room was very blah, I guess I expected better for a hotel in this location.

Very inattentive to the unbelievable noise in the room next to me. I can empathize that people having kids in your room should expect some noise but this was unheard of.

I finally just made the demand that they move my room, which they did. The highlight is that I was upgraded to a suite.

Still, this hotel is super unmemorable, and the colors, touches, and furniture are as bland as I have ever seen in a hotel.

Amazing location and the bed is unbelievably comfortable. So, great staff, location and bed, but don't expect much from a frills point of view.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank vikebadgers
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi vikebadgers,

I am so sorry to hear that your stay has been less than perfect. I hope the remainder of your stay is better! I am glad to hear that the staff was great with you and that you got to enjoy our heavenly bed. If there is anything I can do to assist whether you are still here or have left, please feel free to contact me at mark.serrano@westin.com. Should your future bring you back to Chicago I hope that you will reach out to us and receive the Westin experience you have come to know and deserve.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Korean first
Cool, CA
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was a great place to spend five days in Chicago. It is centrally located and the staff is very helpful. The rooms are pretty standard for an upscale hotel -- clean and fresh every day. Very close to shopping and historical sites but still a quiet place at night. The concierge was extremely helpful for dinner suggestions. She even called ahead to make our reservations. The view down Michigan Avenue is incredible and the location allowed us to get to all the restaurant and shopping locations easily.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BruinSeniorTraveler
Hi BruinSeniorTraveler,

Thank you so much for sharing the great experience you had here with us! It sounds like you were able to enjoy Chicago and our location. Hopefully we will see you again this summer!

Chicago
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Our room was dirty (see pics) hotel is run down , old, and dingy. Beds are not heavenly! Location is great but this place does not deserve the westin name. Four points at most! The rooms lack personality and the hallways are reminiscent of a hospital.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank RonBoss
Hi RonBoss,

I am very sorry to hear that your experience was such a negative one. I apologize for the condition in which you found your room. We would like to hear from you more personally on how we can improve please reach us at 01030frontoffice@westin.com.

Hartford, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

At check in front desk staff switched room to 2 queens instead of king and included free Internet. Rooms are nice and clean not in the room much anyway. Beds super comfy. Location is awesome. Price was great. Friendly staff. Easter weekend is very busy in Chicago.

Stayed March 2013
1 Thank lamp07
Hello lamp07,

I am so glad to hear you were able to enjoy your holiday here! Chicago is a very busy city when it comes to holidays. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! Please make sure you return and visit us!

Beijing, China
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Some employers here, they never smile. Their service is really really poor. They make me feel guilty about myself to ask them some simple traveling questions. Sometimes I may think the staffs are from the manager's family. The way they treat the customers, I can't even understand. Horrible experience!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yang o
Hello yang o,

On behalf of myself and my team please accept our sincerest apology. We are here to help ensure your stay is the best it can possibly be and to hear that the service was terrible is very upsetting. Please know you should never feel bad asking us for help with anything. I hope that you give us another chance to provide you with the Westin service you know and deserve! If you are to return please reach out to us at 01030frontoffice@westin.com, so that we can ensure you have a 100 percent better experience.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We recently stayed at this property and we were somewhat disappointed. We are in Chicago frequently and this location is wonderful for shopping, the beaches, great night life and restaurants, and is right on Michigan Avenue. The lobby is nicely appointed and has a little coffee stop. The rooms could use some updating and are very dark. Our room faced another building, and they did construction each day starting at 7:30 am.
Each evening I put the doorhanger out for a fresh pot of coffee and ice water. Each morning it came at the exact time I requested, however my charge was $11.00 higher that it said on the listing. Each time that happened, I called down and they explained that if you order thru room service by phone that is the cost- I would explain that I didn't order that way, and they said they would remove the charge. This happened every morning of my stay....??
twice we asked the concierge for information, and while she was cooly polite, there was very little information given and she seemed kind of "put out" that we were needing her help.
We would stay there again because of the location, and because we are SPG- however we would not say this hotel is up to Starwood standards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank julie m
Hello julie m,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so sorry to hear that your stay was not what it should have been. I agree that after the first time of you calling with the door hanger we should have been proactive and am truly sorry you had to go through the same problem multiple times. I am also sorry for negative experience you had with the concierge as well. I am glad you were able to enjoy the location and when you do return please feel free to reach out to the front office team at 01030frontoffice@westin.com, so that we can ensure you have an amazing stay with us!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We rented a three room suite at the Westin on Michigan Avenue. This was the second year we have come here and the service and attention to detail is spectacular. In particular Abbie Armbruster provided a package that was second to none. Not only were we recognized immediately as returning guests, she anticipated our every need and prevented several potential challenges. Without her help this trip would not have been as successful. We are already looking forward to next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sk3132013
Hello sk3132013,

Thank you for your kind words! I am so happy we were able to assist you in making sure you had a great stay! We take great pride in our staff and location. We are looking forward to your return to your home away from home!