“Better than expected!”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #56 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 22, 2012

After I had booked this hotel and paid in advanced I looked at Tripadvisor and was scared to death!!! I was pleasantly surprised. Of course it's a great location!!!! I thought everyone was nice. Doorman, front desk, valet!! Everyone had complained how rude the staff was, but when you treat people nice, the odds are they will be nice back!!! The in house restaurant, The Grill on the Alley, was good as well. Had eaten at one in Ft Lauderdale and their food is outstanding.
My only complaint would be the drab rooms. They are clean, comfortable and a big flat screen tv, but a bit of color or wall art would definitely liven them up. Overall this was a good experience and I would stay here again!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hi TCM327,

Thank you for your kind comment! We appreciate you sharing your great experience with us, and we hope to welcome you back next time you're in Chicago!

Be well,

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Okay, I admit we were there for the Chicago marathon, but can you maybe step it up a notch with cleaning when you know you have a full house? No continental breakfast, great bed, great pillows and nice coffee in the morning for a four star hotel. Not bad, but not amazing and I am not a hard soul to please.

Room Tip: You'd better shop around.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer P

Hi Jennifer P,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your honesty, and we have taken your comments into careful consideration to improve our hotel.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I just returned from a long weekend here. Having stayed at other Starwood hotels and being a Platinum member, I had certain expectations. None were met. The rooms were poorly appointed, the Preferred Floor is considered an upgrade and since I turned in points for this stay, I wasn't upgraded. No lounge for breakfast or business, drab colors, very depressing, staff stiff and unfriendly. Nasty smell in the lobby. I almost felt the service level was completely non-existent.

Room Tip: If you want amenities and are a preferred guest, don't turn in points for your stay, because if...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Frank M,
We are so sorry to hear we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay. This is not a typical Westin Michigan Avenue experience. We hope to welcome you back soon so we can demonstrate service that will leave you feeling well cared for.
Be well,

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed over the weekend for a business meeting within the hotel. The facilities were excellent for a small (25-50) group meeting with excellent AV and quiet. The food served at breaks and at lunch was excellent, very well prepared and healthy! Service was 5 star. The front desk folks were perfect, a small toilet problem was fixed within 30 minutes, the room and hotel were clean and neat. The rooms are a bit basic, nice bed and chaise chair, decent desk, etc. Bathroom was fine with shower curtain (I really prefer the big glass shower doors) and one sink. Rooms were quiet. Fitness room was very decent, open 24 hours, and had 2 upright bicycle trainers inaddition to the treadmills and elipicals. All were well maintained.
Location is terrific across the street from the Hancock Center and easy walking distance to the magic of Chicago.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear stubonedoc,
Thank you for your kind review. We know you do not always have a choice in where you stay when you are traveling on business, so it is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I have to agree with you, our banquet food is excellent! We look forward to welcoming you and your group back again soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights in September. I'm a Starwood member so I've stayed at Westins all over the place. This is my least favorite Starwood hotel of all time. The service is still great and top notch but there were a few flaws.

The rooms were depressing. I was not on business which is really the bulk of their business. The lobby was full of business travelers and those attending a conference. The basic drab rooms were awkward and low lit. The carpet was also sticky. I switched rooms once during our stay because I was expecting better rooms in the modern wing but unfortunately they were the same. Do not stay here if you are looking for something romantic. If you are a Starwood preferred member, you get free Wifi which is great. Coffee/Tea maker in room.

The location is on Michigan Avenue, across the street from Bloomingdales and such. Great shopping and easy walk to cafes, etc. There's more excitement closer to State Street. The Westin is located in a quieter part of town during the evening. Parking is $59 a night and you can self park for $10 cheaper across the street. The location makes it very difficult to find cheap parking.

Finally two small incidents really bothered me about my stay. I had left a pair of expensive earrings on the night stand by the bed when I changed rooms. It was no long after I changed rooms when I realized in the mad rush that I had left them there. Security tried to find them but after a week, they never showed up. Second, when we had checked in at 11:30pm the first night, we had explained Jetblue lost our luggage. We only had our cell phone and explained to the front desk we needed to borrow a charger since it was the only way the airline could contact us. They would not lend us a charger even though we would obviously pay for it if we lost it and it would be only for one night. Instead, they gave us the wrong directions to a Walgreens and we spent a good deal of time running around at MIDNIGHT looking to buy an iphone charger.

I've stayed at other Starwood properties where they bend over backwards if you get ill or have something lost/stolen. This is why I spent over $300 a night for 4 nights at the Westin but I feel I didn't get the kind of service I paid for this time around.

One thing I liked about the hotel was the Starbucks in the lobby.

Room Tip: There is a modern and traditional wing. The modern wing is closer to Michigan avenue and some have...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi MadAboutTheWold,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your honesty, and we have taken your comments into careful consideration to improve for the future.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Just stayed at the Westin for the Chicago Marathon. I have stayed here several times since it is close to the start. As a Gold I got a higher floor and Free WIFI. The Wifi has been much improved from my last stay by the way. They dont try too hard over here in my opinion. Great location on Michigan ave and my room was clean, with new or recently replaced carpet. The bathroom includes most minimal amount of low grade towels and a bar of soap, plus shampoo. They give as little as possible in the bathroom and frankly this is minor, however my point is they do as little as they can over here. Front desk is about the slowest I have ever seen. Many marathoners staying at the hotel. Do they care? Nope. For example Philly Westin asked me if I was in the race, and morning of the race put out a small table of juices, bagels etc at no charge for runners. To me that showed a very nice touch and that the hotel goes out of its way. There was a stocked coffee maker in the room which I always appreciate. Bed linens were comfortable. I get the feeling that they try to cut whatever corners needed. Based on current room rates you dont get much.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Hi robertw477,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We appreciate your feedback, and we will take it into careful consideration for the next marathon.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spending 2 days here. Arrived at very busy time (Chicago marathon) so perhaps the lackluster service and lack of upgrade are the result of fully booked hotel and overtaxed staff. Arrived, they had my status wrong (I am Platinum, they had me as Gold. My status changed fairly recently. Instead of offering to check for me, I had to call Starwood and "prove" my status. Til then was regarded with an accusatory side-eye by check in agent.) Got status sorted out, no upgrade. OK, it's full so no big deal. The room itself reminds me of the time in the 5th grade when I was sent on a retreat to the local nun's retirement home. Nondescript and cell-like. Industrial looking hallway. However there is a breathtaking view of the lake and a very comfy bed. Thin walls so you hear all kinds of hallway activity; however, no adjoining (noise channeling) door to next door room so that is a small plus on the noise issue. Big bathroom with very large vanity top, lots of room. No complementary water in the room. The wireless is the PITS. It is like the very old days of dial up. COME ON WESTIN. Wireless is our LIFEBLOOD. We cannot live without it. It is worse in the lobby. At least I am not paying for it. I have thought about heading to a local library for better access but am too lazy. So I will suffer and curse quietly. The lobby itself is like a newly renovated airport. Fine but one is not too anxious to spend a lot of time there. The Grill is an institution and great fun. Have not tried the spa. For quick breakfast head to the Drake around the corner: they have an Illy cafe that beats the in-lobby Starbucks here by a mile. The best things about this hotel: the killer location near shopping, restaurants and sights, and the gorgeous lake views (if you have a high room facing north)

Room Tip: Ask for north side, high floor for lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear mjhm3,
Thank you for your recent stay and review. We are sorry to hear your experience did not leave you feeling revitalized and renewed. We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a truly uplifting journey.
Warm regards,