“Average blah hotel in great location”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #55 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spending 2 days here. Arrived at very busy time (Chicago marathon) so perhaps the lackluster service and lack of upgrade are the result of fully booked hotel and overtaxed staff. Arrived, they had my status wrong (I am Platinum, they had me as Gold. My status changed fairly recently. Instead of offering to check for me, I had to call Starwood and "prove" my status. Til then was regarded with an accusatory side-eye by check in agent.) Got status sorted out, no upgrade. OK, it's full so no big deal. The room itself reminds me of the time in the 5th grade when I was sent on a retreat to the local nun's retirement home. Nondescript and cell-like. Industrial looking hallway. However there is a breathtaking view of the lake and a very comfy bed. Thin walls so you hear all kinds of hallway activity; however, no adjoining (noise channeling) door to next door room so that is a small plus on the noise issue. Big bathroom with very large vanity top, lots of room. No complementary water in the room. The wireless is the PITS. It is like the very old days of dial up. COME ON WESTIN. Wireless is our LIFEBLOOD. We cannot live without it. It is worse in the lobby. At least I am not paying for it. I have thought about heading to a local library for better access but am too lazy. So I will suffer and curse quietly. The lobby itself is like a newly renovated airport. Fine but one is not too anxious to spend a lot of time there. The Grill is an institution and great fun. Have not tried the spa. For quick breakfast head to the Drake around the corner: they have an Illy cafe that beats the in-lobby Starbucks here by a mile. The best things about this hotel: the killer location near shopping, restaurants and sights, and the gorgeous lake views (if you have a high room facing north)

Room Tip: Ask for north side, high floor for lake view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear mjhm3,
Thank you for your recent stay and review. We are sorry to hear your experience did not leave you feeling revitalized and renewed. We would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back in the future for a truly uplifting journey.
Warm regards,
Lauren

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Westin is fine - nothing much wrong but nothing special. The location is terrific. The bar is very noisy (or was the night I was there). Breakfast is good, but no buffet so you are on the menu and it is expensive. The room is ample but plain. I was there with a family gathering. On my own, I would probably have looked for alternatives.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hi ceshorey,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input as it helps us improve for the future.

Thanks and be well,

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Awesome location right off Michigan Ave, within walking distance of so many places. We got there and they only had basic rooms with 2 queen beds, so since we were there for our anniversary we upgraded to a king deluxe. They gave us a room with an awesome view of the lake. They also sent up a complementary bottle of wine, waters, pistachios, and choc covered blueberries. I will say the parking was pretty expensive so we will most likely take the train up next time. Would def stay here on our next time to Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank LLBloNo

Hi LLBloNo,

Thank you for your great feedback. We appreciate the positive remarks, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

It was the middle of winter when I stayed and the weather was sooo cold I spent a good deal of my time in Chicago in the hotel room, the bed was massive and room had soo much space it was comfy and homely. The restaurant downstairs had the most delicious mac and cheese and service was very friendly. Would stay in a Westin any where in the world after this experience, what a beautiful property.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room with beautiful view of the magnificent mile
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear AVolp,
Thank you for letting us know how your stay was. We are so glad to hear you felt at home and that you enjoyed The Grill! We hope you will join us again this winter for a little rest and relaxation.
Lauren

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Okay, lets just admit that Chicago is overpriced and overtaxed. That being said, this Westin is not as nice and plush as others. It was clean, service was great and decor was nice. However, its a Westin so I expect a little more. The Deluxe room was on the smallish side and we had to call down for an extra bathrobe and shower gel. The bed was comfy but not HEAVENLY BED comfy. You know how you normally feel like your sleeping on a giant puffy cloud? Not this time. There wasn't any one thing that was lacking , its just that everything was OKAY. I want more than ok!
The lobby restaurant was good. We had a great steak there. Breakfast was good but overpriced. $16 for bacon & eggs. This hotel is directly across from Bloomingdale s and across the street from The Cheesecake factory. The Episcopalian church sits on the opposite corner and offers a free Friday concert and a Sunday Jazz service at 4pm. The trolley service picks up right out front. There is a Walgreens within walking distance that sells wine and cheese, salads, etc.A nice location but I would like a little more plushness with my hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nla84

Hello nla84,

Thank you for the great feedback. We appreciate this information to help us improve, and we are glad that you love our location.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great location but for the cost was just average. I was there for a conference so understand being booked but... A room right next to the elevator as a "member" really you would think rate just a little

• Stayed: May 2012

Hello nursemel1968,

Thank you for your honesty. We appreciate this feedback as it helps us improve.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The selling point of this hotel is its location-right at the top of Chicago's magnificent mile - but given that with 500yards there are probably 20 other hotels that is hardly a unique factor

The public areas are fine. The Grill is good, vibrant and busy and breakfast was adequate though the staff were slow, argumentative and difficult to understand.

The rooms are basic. For the price and the brand you would expect more. The corridors to the rooms are soulless. No money has been spent Here on pictures, lighting or flowers. The room themselves are functional, but the bathrooms are cheap, the toiletries basic and you get the feeling you are In a holiday inn but without the benefit of the savings that would bring. The bed however was very comfortable.

Checking and checkout took far too long and although a frequent Starwood guest they could not find my details or accord me any privileges. Sadly I am booked in again here in a few days time. Lets see of they have read this review and picked up on it

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with lake view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Hello mdcryan,

Thank you for your honesty. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve in the future.