“Location, location. location!”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #55 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Okay, lets just admit that Chicago is overpriced and overtaxed. That being said, this Westin is not as nice and plush as others. It was clean, service was great and decor was nice. However, its a Westin so I expect a little more. The Deluxe room was on the smallish side and we had to call down for an extra bathrobe and shower gel. The bed was comfy but not HEAVENLY BED comfy. You know how you normally feel like your sleeping on a giant puffy cloud? Not this time. There wasn't any one thing that was lacking , its just that everything was OKAY. I want more than ok!
The lobby restaurant was good. We had a great steak there. Breakfast was good but overpriced. $16 for bacon & eggs. This hotel is directly across from Bloomingdale s and across the street from The Cheesecake factory. The Episcopalian church sits on the opposite corner and offers a free Friday concert and a Sunday Jazz service at 4pm. The trolley service picks up right out front. There is a Walgreens within walking distance that sells wine and cheese, salads, etc.A nice location but I would like a little more plushness with my hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nla84
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Hello nla84,

Thank you for the great feedback. We appreciate this information to help us improve, and we are glad that you love our location.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Great location but for the cost was just average. I was there for a conference so understand being booked but... A room right next to the elevator as a "member" really you would think rate just a little

• Stayed: May 2012

Hello nursemel1968,

Thank you for your honesty. We appreciate this feedback as it helps us improve.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The selling point of this hotel is its location-right at the top of Chicago's magnificent mile - but given that with 500yards there are probably 20 other hotels that is hardly a unique factor

The public areas are fine. The Grill is good, vibrant and busy and breakfast was adequate though the staff were slow, argumentative and difficult to understand.

The rooms are basic. For the price and the brand you would expect more. The corridors to the rooms are soulless. No money has been spent Here on pictures, lighting or flowers. The room themselves are functional, but the bathrooms are cheap, the toiletries basic and you get the feeling you are In a holiday inn but without the benefit of the savings that would bring. The bed however was very comfortable.

Checking and checkout took far too long and although a frequent Starwood guest they could not find my details or accord me any privileges. Sadly I am booked in again here in a few days time. Lets see of they have read this review and picked up on it

Room Tip: Ask for high floor with lake view
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Hello mdcryan,

Thank you for your honesty. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us improve in the future.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I'm barely into my 1st night of a 5 night stay & I'm already regretting my choice of hotels. First off, the cleanliness & basic maintenance of the rooms is extremely subpar. The room I was originally assigned had black mildew on the underside of the marble tub that had to be growing un-abated for weeks! I was quickly given another room, but it was an adjacent room & I absolutely HATE adjacent rooms, but I'm here for a conference & am just too tired to keep complaining & I don't want to seem like a nuisance. Plus, the 1st calls I made to the FRONT DESK regarding the mildew went to voicemail on a busy Saturday evening!!! The updating of the decor is the least of the issues...peeling & leak stained bathroom ceilings are disgusting, leak stained marble floors are just ugly & walls are thin. I will share my concerns w/mgmt tmw after a good nights rest...I hope. All in all, the hotel needs a serious intervention of its housekeeping & maintenance and an aesthetic makeover thereafter. Keeping a healthy environment for guests should be a the forefront, since the unfortunate events that hv befallen Chgo hoteliers as of recent. Wish me luck... Priscilla L.

• Stayed: September 2012
westinmichave, Manager at The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear PrissyL,
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. Please accept my apologies for the condition of your room. This is not acceptable, and we are grateful you brought this to our attention. We hope you will continue to choose Westin in your travels.
Best regards,
Lauren

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Extremely nice and very well located. Extremely nice and very well located. The lobby always smelled like a garden and the staff is some of friendliest ever met! Bathrooms a little small but incredibly clean.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hi cmarotz,

Thank you for the kind review! We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here from work for a few days in September 2012. Location is great right on the Mag Mile, and close to the nightlife on the North Side. It's also a short walk to the downtown loop, Chicago River, and Grant Park area. There are also lots of good restaurants in walking distance including The Cheesecake Factory and restaurants in the Water Tower. The hotel itself is nice, though the lobby area is a bit smaller than other Westin's I've stayed at. Rooms are very nice...everything you'd expect from a Westin. Staff is also very friendly and professional, especially Cari who checked me in. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant, though it seemed nice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Hi bB3achBuMm,

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin for three nights, attending a conference that was in the hotel. My visit didn't start out really well. After arriving around 7:30 pm, there didn't seem to be anyone at reception and I waited there (with another guest) for about 5 minutes. I did see the employee standing at a little booth, but didn't realize she was there to check in guests (and she didn't take any action when seeing people standing at the desk). When actually checking in, she advised that the king room I requested wouldn't be available for a couple hours (seemed strange to me) but she had a room with 2 doubles and would give me free bottled water during the stay. The room itself was fine, pretty standard, and a lovely view of a parking garage. I did like the bathroom....great shower/bathtub and plenty of counter space. The only food I ate there was through the conference and it was decent. Overall, a nice enough stay, but the price (even with the conference discount) was high (so I checked out on Friday and went to a different hotel for the weekend).

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Hello na07950,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad hat you enjoyed your conference, and we appreciate your honesty as it helps us improve for the future.