“Good location for shopping”

The Westin Michigan Avenue Chicago
Ranked #53 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto
“Good location for shopping”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed 4 nights in August. Wi-Fi is free if you're an SPG member, which is free to join. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, but there is a Cheesecake Factory right across the street, which is a way better value anyway. The rooms are basic, but clean and the housekeepers were more than willing to accomodate special requests (I left them a $5 tip each night and that probably helped). The location is a little north on Michigan Ave for sightseeing, but ideal for shopping.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I found the employees of the Westin very helpful. We arrived early for a wedding and wanted to see part of the city. They gave us helpful tips and directions to things we would want to see and how best to get around!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2011

If you are coming to Chicago for business or pleasure the Westin on Michigan Ave should be on the top of your list. I have stayed at alot of Westin and W properties and this is one of my favorites. You are located right on Michigan Ave and only steps away from the Hancock Building, Water Tower Place, and the Lakefront. The hotel staff is friendly and the rooms are nice, clean, and have great views of the Michigan Ave and the city.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank hawkeyemarc
Goteed1
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I stayed here 1 night because I was stranded in Chicago by Hurricane Irene. While waiting at the airport I used priceline to bid on a room and won this hotel.

I only spent a quick night here, but everything was fine. Check in was quick and friendly, the basic king room was large which I love, bathroom was big and new. Slept like a baby and checked out promptly the next morning. Nothing bad to report, was quite pleased to stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed here during the labour day weekend. The hotel was much more run down than your typical Westin, which was dissappointing, but not a big deal. It was the poor service that really put a damper on our trip. We waited half an hour while checking in due to some mix up with our room the night before we arrived. The staff devoted so much time in figuring out what exactly happened, rather than simply giving us a room. Once it was sorted out, we got to our room and realized it was directly beside the elevator. Also not a huge deal...until 1am-4am when every elevator ride to our floor woke us up. It honestly sounded like the people getting out of the elevator were coming into our room. The following morning we asked for a room change, and luckily, they were able to accommodate our request. Only problem was that when we got into our new room, our bags were missing. I tried calling down to front desk/operator/concierge - and every time, I got somebody's voice mail. In fact, I called down a half dozen times during our stay, and never once got a live voice. Eventually my husband and I went down to reception to try to find out where our bags were, and there were at least 4 staff down there available. They apologized, and told us the phone never rang. From the reception area, they were able to track down our bags, and we did eventually receive them. They did send some nuts and water to our room to apologize, that was a nice gesture.
Our overall impression was that the staff and management just didn't want to be bothered. Example, my husband asked one of the staff at reception area where the nearest pharmacy was, and they replied that he'd need to ask the concierge...the thing is, it was such a simple question, with a simple answer - why was this employee trained and managed to provide that level of service to guests?
We've stayed in 30+ Westins and this was by far the worst one we've stayed in.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MiraCon
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 6, 2011

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I was not looking forward to staying at the Westin after I had booked the hotel through priceline. Maybe the bar was set really low, but I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel and our room. We stayed in a room on the 11th floor and we didn't notice any outside noise from the halls or elevators. The room was basic, but clean and spacious. It's definitely an older hotel and probably could use an upgrade in decor, but again, it was clean, and the bed was comfortable. I would put it on par with the Courtyard Marriott I've stayed at in Austin, TX and Budapest, Hungary.

Room Tip: Sign up for the rewards program to get free Wi Fi.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Good location ...is about it!
The rooms are not soundproof. We were woken up every night of our 4 night stay by drunk kids in the halls at every hour..
The concierge only works until 4 or 5 pm.
Our shower nor our sink would drain properly....we were standing in a pool of water while showering.

• Stayed September 2011