“As advertised on website, recommended”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #8 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Went on a 24 night honey moon trip across the USA and this was one of the best hotels we stayed at. I chose the hotel due to the good feedback on Trypadvisor and the fact that that it is included as part of the small luxury hotels of the world collection.

I booked online and cost about USD 150 p/n plus due to online booking we received USD20 each in breakfast credit per day. Our arrival was speedily processed, and Robert the bell boy (a very professional and courteous man) accompanied us to our room. I included in my online booking comments that I was on my honeymoon and we found a pack of complimentary assorted goodies in the room.

The room was of good quality and everything as advertised on the website –although I did find it a little on the small side. The room had adjoining doors to another room and we found it very noisy –a group of girls shouting and laughing, etc. Our door to the passage was still open as luggage was being brought in and the girls in the next door room poked their heads into our room to greet us and warn us that they where on a hen night and would be partying! The look on my wife’s face.... I called reception and asked to be moved to another room due to the noisy neighbours (“are they making noise now?”, “no, they’ve just left”, “so why do you think they are going to be noisy”, “because they are a couple of girls on a hen night”, “oh, sorry, we are going to move you right away, hold on a second.... we are going to upgrade you to a suite”). Ha, ha, that made my stay, the suite was amazing, it was huge and our room was changed very swiftly.

The hotel itself is very comfortable and well located, it has two lit fireplaces at the entrance and a nice small bar and restaurant that serves quite a good breakfast with very good service. The receptionists (My experience was with two female receptionists) are very helpfull, professional and well mannered and the concierge (Tim) was very good. The bell boy (Robert) was very professional and courteous.

The only negative point that I noticed (apart from not having any in-house Spa amenities) was that the windows looked like they had not been cleaned in some time –and I was staying in a suite which is probably quite expensive.

Would definitely recommend, I would repeat my stay.

There are newer reviews for The Talbott Hotel

Reviewed April 18, 2010

I do not normally write reviews but I thought it is worth giving my opinion on this hotel since it has been rated as the number 1 and it has not lived up to expectation, at least for me. It also won some awards. I was therefore really looking forward to this stay. For context, I have stayed in one of their suites.

Overall, slightly disappointed but still a comfortable stay. I would only get this hotel if they upgrade you to a suite and you are prepared to go somewhere else for food.

Good Points:
1. The suite is sizable and clean
2. The furnishings are in good condition
3. Great location for those who like to shop - on the doorstep of the Magnificent Mile

Disappointed with:
1. Lobby was small and looked tired
2. I could barely understand the service staff as most were foreigners
3. The restaurant is small and poorly serviced. I did breakfast there, whilst I was seated quickly (I arrived early), some people had a long wait. I also observed one couple leaving their food because the waiter never brought the toast. The breakfast was poor - the omelet was at best basic and they gave a really small piece of toast.
4. The room service and restaurant menu is very limited, but after the first breakfast I didn't even want to try anything else anyway.
5. The room whilst large lacked the small touches which I would expect in a luxury hotel. It would have been nice to have slippers for example. The bathroom was large but the bathtub was very small.
6. On the first day the cleaning lady didn't turn up until quite late and that point I was already back in the room and didn't want to be disturbed. The second day I turned the button on for my room to be serviced, thinking they would attend to it quicker, but when I came back 3 hours later...the cleaning lady was just beginning.
7. The concierge was not very knowledgeable about tours of the city, I wanted a walking tour in a group and all he could recommend was a bus tour. I found out myself that you can join a walking tour for free throughout the weekend.
8. If you do choose this hotel and you are from Europe, do not take food recommendations from the staff. I think I have eaten the worst pizza of my life from PIzanos from around the corner. The base tasted and felt like it was fried and the toppings were tasteless. I felt ill after eating only a few slices.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Anisa M
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Fantastic logation close to downtown and the Magnificent Mile. Lots of good restaurants within a few blocks especially Gibson which must be the best steakhouse in the world. Rooms large, well apointed and comfortable although traditional decor would not suit everyone. Breakfast was included in the deal, plenty of choice and it set us up well for the day. Gene the concierge was a great help with restaurants, the theatre and tours. Personal touch compared to large corporate chains and great value.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

This boutique hotel on 20 E. Delaware in Chicago brings quality service to the next level in terms of guest service, committment, professionalism , and top notch customer service! I have worked in the industry,: catering, bartending, fine dining et al ,and was very impressed with the staff here! Perry makes you feel welcome,from the minute your toes touch the cement as you exit your cab! My stay here was warm, welcoming, and freindly. The towels are soft and huge, the bathrooms are clean and good sized. The front desk girls are courteous and professional. The service in the restaurant was fast and the food was very good.
This small, quaint, charming hotel has the feel of home because of their staff, and because they treat you as they want to be treated..with respect. Forget the big hotels with an industrial feel.. my room had a huge HD TV, soft big pillows, a bed that I did not want to get out of the next morning, The turn down service, the houskeeping, and the managment will make want to stay here again and again! Amy Krouse from Northern Arizona. Word to the weary traveler: Do your self a kindess and stay here. I highly recommend it. Yes, I am picky,and found nothing but the best here.Quite impressed.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 28, 2010

I have to say, what makes this hotel so highly recommended by me, are the people who run it. Mr Martinis, who mans the entrance, was an extremely welcome host to return to each day. His advice, ranging from what is cool in the area to where we should go in the next 5 minutes, was indispensable. Additionally, he and the other staff, were incredibly well presented, polite, friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and great just to chat to.

I don't think I would have enjoyed my stay in the Windy City half as much if I didn't have such good local experts at my very doorstep.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank manyshades
Reviewed March 24, 2010

There is a reason this hotel is ranked one of the top small luxury hotels. Talbott Hotel was so intimate and had such beautiful woodwork on the main level. The room was just beautiful as well as comfortable. The mattress and bedding was ranked right up there with The Drake Hotel! And the location was right in the heart of downtown. Our stay also included breakfast for two (their restaurant/breakfast was amazing)! I'd rank this top of my hotel list as I've also stayed at The Palmer.

1  Thank lakeMiGirl
Reviewed March 19, 2010

When I travel to Chicago, as I do at least twice a year, I enjoy staying at the Talbott. It is easy to get to by vehicle and easy to navigate back to the highway. It is also centrally located in the Gold Coast area of the city, within easy and pleasant walking distance to shopping, restaurants, bars, and clubs. If you don't feel like walking, a cab is always only a hail away.
During our two-night visit to the city, the weather was a bit rainy and cold. The hotel has umbrellas available for its guests' use near the front desk, which is a nice touch. They are free of charge.
While parking is a bit expensive if you valet, it's really the way to go. The valet suggested that we call at least 20 minutes to a half-hour in advance of wishing to pick up our vehicle, but it only took about 10 minutes from the time I called to the time I was able to pick up my car in front of the building.
Check-in and check-out were pleasant experiences. I felt welcome, invited, and not in the least snubbed, which is an experience I have had at the Park Hyatt and the Sofitel. I would definitely stay here again: the price and the location are key. Service is excellent and can't be beat. 24-hour room service is a must-have for me and this place is wonderful.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple