“A definate must stay.”

Ranked #12 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Tecumseh, Canada
“A definate must stay.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have been to Chicago numerous times and have always made it a point to book a different hotel each time. Although we have been pleasantly surprised at some hotels, others were "lacking" at best. With the Talbott we found a "definate must stay" hotel. The entire staff was always courteous, friendly and willing to assist in any way. (Dwayne was my wife's favourite ............. ). The location was perfect for us becase we love the Rush St, State St, Michigan Ave area for it's shopping, restaurants, attractions and "beach" (yes ...... I said beach, about 5 blocks away, complete with cabanas and 2 fully stocked tiki bars !!!!).

Room Tip: Upon arrival ......... ask for an upgrade. If a room is available, they will accomodate you (for a s...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (489)
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I found a deal via 3rd party site for the Talbott and decided to give it a whirl based on the reviews I read here. While I won't follow some of the other titles of "Best Hotel Ever", I will say this is a very elegant hotel with a ton of charm. I didn't realize it until we arrived, but this hotel is listed at Small Luxury Hotels.

Tucked away on Delaware, the hotel is just a few blocks from the Magnificent Mile and only a few minute's walk from some very nice restaurants.

Décor was warm and inviting and it had a certain amount of 1920s flare. The room was VERY spacious (large enough for 2 massage tables in the room) and very clean.

The best part of our stay was the concierge service. Gene was SPOT ON with every restaurant recommendation. He facilitated reservations and even got us comp'd desert at the Saloon Steakhouse.

The only negative thing I can say is the quality of sleep I had. I sleep VERY light and our room was right on Delaware. The hustle and bustle of the street (what is it about everyone constantly honking in Chicago?) prevented a good night's sleep. Additionally, the pillows were WAY too soft.

If you fancy drinks in the minibar, do yourself a favor and find a liquor store near by. The hotel charges an arm and a leg for the minibar. There is a Walgreen's one block north, FYI.

This is a FANTASTIC hotel in a great location. Next time I find myself in Chicago, I'll certainly entertain The Talbott again!.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed with my two teenaged daughters in a double queen. The rooms are large with plenty of sitting room, a large desk, two very comfortable queen beds and an upgraded TV with internet and DVR . The bathroom is very well appointed with two sinks, makeup mirror and the heaviest, deluxe towels ever. This small luxury hotel has a very traditional, Victorian feel. It was very quiet, even with our room being right by the elevator. The service and food at the restaurant were great for breakfast, and we received a $30 credit for each night we stayed. The valet parking was very expensive, but we splurged on the convenience. The Gold Coast location is great for shopping on Michigan Avenue and there are plenty of great restaurants nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JSD54
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The Talbott Hotel is the best hotel, I have ever stayed out. From the curb, front door, checking in to leaving, everyone was great. The room was roomy but homey. At some hotels, I do not well. Not at The Talbott, slept every night. The newspaper hanging on my door, so I did not have to bend down, is nice touch. When you need ice, they bring it to you. The Apple computer in your room helps you plan your day of tourist traps. When I return to Chicago, The Talbott is the only hotel I will use. Close to bus and subway line, park your car and go.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We got this hotel for a great deal in the midst of the Gold Coast. We stayed on the 12th floor in a suite. It was very large and the bed was heaven. The bell hop, Dwayne, was very chatty and told us about Potash the market around the corner to buy some wine, which we did. He also recommended getting Chicago Pizza at Lou Malnatis which we also did but unfortunately I greatly regretting going there instead of my typical Giordano's. We also received a $30 credit for breakfast at there restaurant. I got the egg benedict, very good, and my boyfriend got the Smoked Salmon also good. The restaurant also has fresh squeezed juice, very refreshing but a bit overpriced at $6 for about 4-6 oz.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors, better room and view
1 Thank LivininTexas
Aurora, Ontario
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Talbott Hotel.
Excellent service, nice rooms and great location, you can't ask for more. By booking online we received a full breakfast each morning and because of the nice weather we were able to enjoy it on the patio.
All the staff were very attentive. We dealt with Dwayne a few times and he was alway handled any of our requests professionally and to our satisfaction.
We will be back!

1 Thank Alla C
Vancouver ,BC ,Canada
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I was there for 5nights for a business convention.I had asked for a higher floor and got a room on the third floor.The carpeting was really old(circa 1970's),and filthy dirty as the bottom of my white socks got all black from walking around in the room.I could not believe my eyes!The AC was also not up to par,and could barely keep the room cool .It was so bad that after 3 nights ,I asked for another room.The front desk apologized for this and moved our stuff .
The new room was on the tenth floor,and was much cleaner ,and the AC worked better.
This hotel had a great restaurant where we ate breakfast every morning outside on the sidewalk.We booked directly,and were given breakfast vouchers for up to 2X$15 .
The Wi-Fi was also free which was an extra bonus.
The location was great ,There is a nice grocery store Potash 2 blocks away ,the subway staton was 2 blocks away ,and was convenient to get to Wrigley for the baseball game.
The doorman,and front desk people were all great !
It was the fact that our first 3 nights were a disappointment waswhy I did not give it a better rating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business