“Wonderful hotel”

Ranked #12 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Tamworth, England
“Wonderful hotel”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Our first trip to Chicago and we had looked at so many hotel options that we were feeling inundated with choices. The Talbott was the one which stuck in my mind though and I kept coming back to their reviews. So glad we chose this hotel. It's not one of the massive chain hotels, it's a smaller more intimate place.
Our welcome was warm and we were told our room was ready and we had been upgraded to a suite. Wow! The room was wonderful (or should I say rooms). Free wi-fi in hotel was a pleasant surprise. Plentiful toiletries in the bathroom. A decent powerful hairdryer too! The bed and pillows were really comfortable too.
Happy hour in the bar gives you a free appetiser when buying wine, beer or cocktails. A nice touch, instead of peanuts. We also ate in the bar one evening too. Thought it was strange that main meals were classed as 'sharers'. I questioned how a steak could be to share but they assured me it was. Infact, it was just that the steak had already been sliced. Food was excellent though.
We were given $15 vouchers each towards breakfast as we had booked direct with the hotel. My only criticism of the hotel was the service at breakfast. This was very poor. Very slow and not much atmosphere in the room at all. With less than a dozen people dining and 4 or 5 waiters it took 10 minutes or so to be acknowledged/served. Staff here were lacking in customer relationship skills - and personalities. This does not extend to the general hotel staff, all of whom were really friendly and helpful.
The hotel's location was excellent. Close to the Observatory, Water Tower mall and Bloomingdales.
Another reviewer mentioned Merlo Italian restaurant - the hotel concierge recommended this to us and booked us a table. The dining room is in the basement and still looks and feels like someone's living room. A claustrophobic tiny room with no windows or ambience. Food was good, but nothing more, and was overpriced in our opinion.
I'm sure we will return to Chicago and will definitely go back to The Talbott.

1 Thank Mattsmum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Reviewed May 16, 2013

This was my first time staying in a hotel downtown Chicago, usually I stay in the suburbs near our satellite office. I tried to get a hotel near my office but they were all booked. This was a short cab ride from our dinner and I was pleasantly surprised that it is a very nice hotel. I only stayed one night but it was very clean, great bed, nice desk area and helpful desk staff and doorman. When I return I'd love to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bourbonnais, Illinois
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Our entire stay at the Talbott Hotel was great as well as making the reservation. The staff were so friendly, courteous, prompt, and helpful. We had the parlor room which was so spacious and comfortable. We chose Talbott Hotel for its close proximity to the North Shore Surgical Center and reviews from the Trip Advisor. A valet walked me to the Surgical Center and showed me exactly where to go in the morning which meant a lot to me. The doorman knew we were here for medical reasons and told us where a nearby Walgreens was located which we did need for an extra prescription. A staff even offered to pick up the prescription. In the future, if we need to stay in Chicago, Talbott Hotel would be our choice.

Room Tip: Just let the reservationist know the purpose of your stay. We were given a room at the end of short...
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Perfect home base for a weekend in Chicago. Classic, spacious room, great service and convenient location. While there try Merlo's on Maple. I'll give five stars to both! We will definitely come back to the Talbot!

• Stayed May 2013
Lino Lakes, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

What can I say...they exceeded our expectations in every way. Excellent concierge, affordable rates for the location, rooms were clean and stunning, computer access, excellent restaurant and wonderful, courteous service.

It was our first time in Chicago and 4 years since we have had a trip without our young kids, and this hotel felt like a "calm center" where we could escape the crowds and feel completly at ease. We stayed Friday through Sunday, and had a one bedroom suite which could have slept 4 comfortably. This WILL be our destination hotel whenever we come back.

We did not visit the pool or spa, so please disregard pir rating for them!

Room Tip: We were next to a stairwell on the 5th floor facing Deleware and that was very quiet.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Long-time reader of Tripadvisor but this is my first review. My taste is quite discerning and I'm hard to please. I've stayed in the 5-star properties that we all know (Ritz, Four Seasons, Mandarin). I went to Chicago for the weekend for the Heat game last Friday (2013-05-10). With that backdrop, the Talbott Hotel was absolutely perfect from start (they gave me my room at 11 a.m.) to finish (the baggage handler somehow knew exactly the type of traffic I would encounter on my cab ride to O'Hare). Gene - one of the concierges - is sensational. He somehow got my buddy and I into Mastro's for dinner on a Saturday night at a prime-time hour on less than 3 hours notice. He arranged guestlist entrance to one of the best nightclubs in the city. And he always appeared so happy to help! Thank you Gene! The Gold Coast location is perfect. The bed linens and shower products are impeccable. I didn't have a chance to use it but the rooms are equipped with Mac Mini's, so you can record shows and movies and watch them throughout your stay. You can also access the Internet with a full keyboard and the the flat screen TV is the display. The adjoining restaurant served an amazing brunch on Sunday and was buzzing with a great crowd. In closing, my Hotel Talbott was worth at least 2.5 more than the price I was charged.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Flashing_Lights111
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed May 12, 2013

It looks like everyone else is giving The Talbott great reviews, so I'll join the chorus. We stayed here 3 nights this past week for my wife's 'birthday present' and we could not have been happier. We usually don't spend this much for a hotel, but 'when in Rome' (or Chicago)…however, we felt this hotel is a great value for what you get.

As others have mentioned, making a reservation thru the Talbott website may get you vouchers for breakfast at the restaurant next door. Well worth it, as we enjoyed our morning meals there, although availability of certain items was spotty.

The staff at this hotel make it special. As we arrived, the bellman noticed my TripAdvisor tag on the luggage and proudly told me they were ranked #2. All the staff, including the maids and janitors, are very friendly and it is almost impossible to walk to your room without a friendly encounter with one of the staff. 'Welcome back', 'How was your day?' is what you will hear from many of them. We even met the bellman walking a few blocks from the hotel and he recognized us and engaged us in some conversation. Very friendly atmosphere. The concierge, Gene, was very helpful too. All the Talbott concierges have a special certification which many other hotels can't claim.

The room we had was roomy and fantastic. It was an upgraded king (not a suite), but was on the 10th floor and had a nice view down the street. The bathroom was enormous, tiled in marble, separate shower and tub, hot air flowed over the floor to warm it up, dual vanity/sinks. Towels and robe were luxury quality, but a bit coarse. The bed was very comfortable, and expect turn-down service in the evenings.
I was very impressed with the TV/media set up. A Mac mini is available to use, and the 37" LCD TV is your monitor. Browse the web, play Netflix movies (if you have an account), bring some DVDs or CDs to play. Several HBO premium channels are available. Wireless internet is free, and very good. By the way, the rooms are VERY quiet. I heard no noises, flushes, or anyone in the hallways during our stay.

The location is terrific. We planned to use the public transport as much as possible, getting the 36 bus to the zoo, or downtown. The bus stop is right on State St, a half block from the hotel. Busses on Michigan take you down to the Wrigley building, Millennium Park, or to the museum campus. We only took the taxi a few times, but even they seemed reasonable. There is a very good grocery/deli (Potash Bros.) just around the corner on State. Good wine selection there.

We will return to Chicago in the coming years, and I only hope the Talbott will maintain its high standards over time.

Room Tip: AAA will qualify you for an upgrade. About 10 rooms per floor (15 floors above the lobby). Room 1002...
3 Thank FlipKal