“Kudos to the staff--they couldn't be nicer”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #9 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed April 30, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night at the tail end of our trip after 3 nights in the Hilton on South Michigan. For the price we paid (approx. $160 on Hotwire), we had an excellent stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to anyone else. Compared to the Hilton, the room was probably 1.5 to 2 times as large, with a huge flat panel TV on the wall. The amenities were Aveda products, the room was clean, and the location (in the Gold Coast, only a couple of blocks from the Magnificent Mile and probably on 4 blocks to the closest El stop) was excellent. Most importantly, everyone we encountered--from the doorman to the belllman to the frontdesk clerk to the housecleaning staff-- were genuinely friendly and willing to accommodate us or answer our questions, Just one small example: we checked out of the Hilton at 11 am and took a cab to the Talbott. We just wanted to stow our bags so that we could grab something to eat, but were informed that if we were willing to wait 20 minutes or so, our room would be available! I thought our stay at the Hilton was adequate, but highly doubt we would have been able to check into our room at 11:30--and even if we could, I suspect they would have charged us for this privilege/convenience! (Mind you, the S. Michigan Hilton is happy to stow your bags for you--for only $2 per bag for the convenience. Look up other Tripadvisor reviews if you don't believe me!) Lastly, many of the reviews preceding mine complain about the construction noise, which we didn't encounter. (We were on the 15th floor, so that might have something to do with it.) So although there was a hellish amount of construction going on around and in front of the Talbott, the room itself seemed to be well insulated and caccooned off from any street noise. Again, I highly recommend this hotel. Our thanks go out especially to Jennifer and Perry for making our brief stay pleasant and enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed April 23, 2008

A fantastic hotel overall, with probably the best service that I've ever experienced. The huge drawback, however, is the construction that is occurring on both sides of the hotel. They generally work 8am - 8pm Mon-Sat (we stayed for a week) and one of the buildings had workers present on Sunday as well. This was not disclosed on any part of the website at the time of booking. This hotel will be perfect when the construction's done, though the doorman at the hotel when we left estimated that they'd be working for another 1-2 years.

• Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed March 28, 2008

I booked the Talbott Hotel for a two night stay in Chicago. I chose it because they offered the best rates for a 4 star hotel in the location I was looking for (convenient to shopping and dining). The positives: a nice staff, large rooms, clean and well maintained. The negatives: major construction taking place immediately next door to the hotel--sleeping past 7 a.m. was not possible and needless to say, my three teens did not like this at all. When I booked my reservation, I had inquired about construction noise and was told that it was not a factor anymore and that they had not received any comments/complaints from guests about the noise. I would not hesitate to stay here when construction is complete. It's not hip, fancy or luxurious, but charming and well-located at a price that represents a fair value--when the construction is complete.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We stayed at the Talbott in February. I wrote a review but it wasn't listed. I wonder why? Fine hotel but there is construction next door that runs 6 days a week - 8am-8pm, with noisy consturciton elevators running 12 hours a day and bright lights on 24/7. Avoid until the construction is over. Then, it will be a very nice place to stay.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank TimeTraveler123
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We just got back from a 3 night stay at the Talbott hotel in Chicago. We had booked this through Hotwire so we didn't know we were staying here until after we had purchased through Hotwire. This was a great place to stay! I knew we had one of the smaller rooms - which was a Deluxe King room. But, once we walked into our room we saw that it was very spacious for a regular room. Very nice and updated decor, and everything was extremely clean. The first 2 nights we hardly saw any other guests in the hotel. Seemed like we had the place to ourselves which was a nice relief from the busy Chicago streets. I read others' complaints about the noise of construction next to the hotel which made me nervous since I'm a light sleeper. While we did see the construction, I never heard any of it - and we slept in most mornings until 9:30 or so. I read that the suites in the hotel had jacuzzi tubs, and I knew we didn't have one in ours as we had a regular room. However, the tub was very deep and great for soaking! (Might I add, this was the cleanest hotel tub I've seen in a long time!) We had a wonderful time staying here and the staff was wonderful and friendly. My husband did have one complaint - though the bed was comfortable, the down comforter on the bed wasn't long enough to cover his feet. His not extremely tall, about 6'0. So, that made sleeping a bit rougher on him, but overall we loved our stay!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 12, 2008

We have just returned from a weekend getaway at The Talbott Hotel. We were just thrilled with our decision to stay at The Talbott. The room was very comfortable and spotless. Everything seems to have been recently updated. The bed was especially comfortable with a down comforter. The location of the hotel itself allowed us to walk to a wide variety of restaurants and easy access to shopping at Water Tower and Michigan Avenue. The staff were all very friendly and informative. We were greeted with warm smiles and greetings every time. One concern is the dim lighting in the bathroom. Applying makeup and putting in contacts was easy however due to the lighted makeup mirror with a swing arm. The only other warning is the construction next door. We were on the 8th floor and the little noise we heard was not a problem. However, the construction was still on the ground level. In the next year or so, I would make sure to contact the hotel to determine which side of the hotel is noisy or not. Otherwise, we would recommend this as an intimate, well done hotel. I am sure we will be back in the future!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2008

We booked a room at the Talbott in March, and I honestly don't understand what the attraction is. The staff was great--extremely friendly and accommodating. However, the rooms are small and nondescript, and the neighborhood is a construction zone, so it was incredibly noisy. I wouldn't recommend it to a friend.

Stayed: March 2008