WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #4 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“A fabulous experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just want to let everyone know how wonderful the Talbott is....Dawayne,Charles,Perry,Louis,Tanner-Too many names to mention...Everyone is so welcoming and friendly,going above and beyond to accommodate your needs...I would HIIGHLY
recommend theTalbott.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Phoenix, Az
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

Perhaps I have been too easy with my previous reviews as I am only giving the Talbott four stars, but this is a great hotel.

We just returned from a first time, three night visit to Chicago. Per Trip Advisor room recommendations, we requested a suite on a corner as high up as possible, and that is exactly what we received on the 13th floor out of 16 floors. The room was large (especially for two), quiet and comfortable. The décor was pleasant although not long before it needs to be updated a bit. Bathrooms are large with two vanities/sinks, tub and separate shower with beautiful tile floors that have their own heater.

The hotel is in an excellent location literally backing up to the Waldorf and within blocks of the time honored Drake. We took less than $10 cab rides to certain sites such as the Art Institute, Lincoln Park or Sears Tower only to ultimately walk back to the hotel. Dinners were at Hugo’s Frog Bar, Gibson’s and Zinc Bistro, all of which are excellent and a very short walk from the hotel.

Our perfect stay would have included a morning workout prior to venturing out for the day. While the hotel offers access to what I understand is a very nice health club, the inconvenience of walking 1.5 blocks was enough for us to forego morning workouts! If I had a complaint, it’s that there was no workout room in the hotel, but I knew that when I made my reservation.

Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. We arrived several hours before the 3:00 pm arrival time unannounced. While our room was not immediately ready, front desk staff smiled and assured us it would not be long, which it wasn’t. Bellman Perry was very helpful getting our bags to the room, explaining the television, computer, minibar,… He had plenty of great responses to our many questions. The concierge staff was excellent suggesting places to dine, making reservations etc.

The hotel has a restaurant and bar which are small and quiet. We ate breakfast here each morning and were more than content. The bar is more of a “meeting” place than a destination which is all it needs to be. There are plans underway to greatly increase the restaurant into a neighborhood friendly spot with an expanded menu. Hotel staff seemed excited about this and I believe it will be a great addition.

The hotel lobby and sitting rooms are very comfortable and were brightly decorated with tasteful Christmas decorations. Our experience at the Talbott was really excellent and we certainly will stay here again.

Room Tip: We selected a one room suite requesting (and receiving) a corner room as high up as possible.
1 Thank ROBII
Saskatoon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I travelled to Chicago for our 30th wedding anniversary. Chicago was a place we wanted to visit so it was a perfect opportunity! We looked at several hotels but kept coming back to the Talbott. My husband had casually mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary when he booked our room and when we arrived we were greeted with a Happy Anniversary and soon after our arrival a beautiful fruit basket arrived with best wishes from the hotel staff.
When we were shown to our room by Dwayne, we felt like rockstars, the room was BEAUTIFUL!
We had booked the one-bedroom suite - the room was immaculate and very comfortable. Dwayne gave us the low-down on the area around the Talbott which was so helpful. Dwayne is a very pleasant fellow, as are all the staff, but he was particularly helpful. His quick smile and good humor was a pleasure every day. Each and every day without fail, the front desk staff greeted us and every other guest. Tim, one of the concierge staff, gave us lots of helpful information as well. Tim booked our evening restaurants and left us a card in our room with all the information. We didn't know the restaurant until we were back at the room. All his selections were superb and within walking distance of the hotel. We loved Chicago!!! We will definitely return to the Talbott. We ate at Lou Malnati's, Ditka's, The Rosebud, Wildfire, Chicago-q, the Tempo Cafe. All were great. There is a grocery store very near the hotel so you can pick up wine, snacks, and whatever. Starbucks is across the street. The Magnificent Mile is great shopping - little high end but very nice to walk. The Bean or Cloud in Millenium Park is really unique and so cool. A definite must see. We didn't see any sporting events, NHL on strike, and the Bears were out of town. We also did a city tour - which was a hop on/hop off - and an architectural boat tour. The boat tour is "must do" in my opinion. Chicago is the birthplace of the skyscraper so there is lots of history. The guide is a volunteer and she talked for the entire 90 minute tour and then would not accept a tip! The weather was cooler, as it was mid-October, but comfortable! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here for two nights on a business trip and my wife was traveling with me. The staff was very friendly and acted like they appreciated our business. The location, just a couple of blocks off of Michigan Ave is nice and quiet. Hotel is very nice, I will defintely stay here the next time I travel to Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Matt350Z
Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

The minute you arrive you are treated like a king or queen Charles, Dwayne,Tanner, Perry, Louis,are the BEST along with the rest of the staff nothing but EXELENCE. Will continue to stay here when visiting Chicago

Morrow, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

There are many reasons why this hotel is one of the best in Chicago...

I traveled there for a work function and meeting that was going to be held at The Drake. While I very much enjoyed my stay there, I was looking for a new place to stay. I came across The Talbott Hotel and was happy I did.

First of all, it's a smaller property. But the size makes it feel more cozy and personal. The lobby is perfect. Sitting by the fire one evening reading a book was a treat.

Second, check-in was a wonderful experience. I arrived my first day around 11am thinking I wasn't going to be able to check-in until the stated time of 3pm. The lovely lady at the front desk thought otherwise and immediately checked me into my room.

The rooms were wonderful. The Talbott calls itself a boutique hotel. I like boutique hotels. I like small rooms. This room was anything but small. It was a nice balance of space and comfort. A previous review said that the decorating was like being in grandma's attic (or something like that). That couldn't be further from the truth. The decorating of the rooms and the lobby reminded me of an elegant lounge from the 1950's...rich colors and wood throughout.

The bed was extremely comfortable and I had no problem whatsoever sleeping at night...no noise from the outside. They also offer turn down service which is a nice touch.

Service was ever present throughout the entire place...from the doorman to the front desk to those that cleaned the rooms.

If I had to choose one area that needed improvement, it would be the menu and food of the restaurant off the lobby. It's very limited in selection. For example, as a vegan, there was only one thing I could eat for lunch/dinner and that was a salad. Breakfast was only a simple fruit plate. Skip the coffee there...it's not very good. Walk across the street to Starbucks and get your morning joe there. For dinner, walk to Karyn's Cooked...it's worth it.

Bottom line...there's a reason why The Talbott Hotel is one of the top rated in Chicago. It's now on my list of go-to places.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 13th floor and it was very quiet. No street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Chicago on Friday, October 26, 2012, for a "week-late" anniversary celebration. The reason for the delay was to attend the Barbra Streisand concert (great I might add). We could stay only one night at the Talbott Hotel. The hotel is centrally located - just a short walk from Michigan Avenue and the Sears (?) Building. The room was perfect; it was just the right size and the bathroom was large. The staff was very attentive - from the Doorman to the Front Desk. We had a light lunch late Friday afternoon and breakfast on Saturday morning ($15 off per person). Waiter was great and food was very good. I highly recommend this hotel - we will definitely stay there again on our next trip to The Windy City.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor facing the street. It was very quiet and you could easily walk the one f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple