“wonderful experience”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #10 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a wonderful experience at the Talbott. I loved its smaller size and its excellent location. The rooms were very nice and the free wireless internet and internet TVs were a wonderful surprise! My food and service from room service were great as were my experiences checking in and with the luggage attendants. Really enjoyed the cozy lobby fireplaces after a cold day out in the city!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This past weekend, my daughter and I stayed 2 nights at the Talbott and found this place to be amazing. It is now my favorite place to stay in Chicago. The staff know how to treat their guests. Everyone is so helpful and friendly. The hotel is beautifully decorated for the holidays, the restaurant/bar is cozy, the continental breakfast is perfect, the breakfast servers are so friendly and efficient, and the hotel beds are so comfortable. The location is top notch for shopping and dining. So close to everything on Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. First trip to Chicago where we did not even need a taxi. We walked everywhere we went. One morning, I was pleasantly greeted by 5 different staff members before leaving the hotel property for a day of shopping. Book your room using the Priceless Chicago promotion with MasterCard and get a room upgrade. Plus by booking through the hotel website, we received money to spend for breakfast at the hotel. I give this hotel 5 stars!! Thanks for making my visit with my daughter one I will remember.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I can't recall another time I've had to deal with such rude front desk help. While pleasant initially, as soon as I demonstrated the slightest bit of frustration that I was still waiting to claim my luggage for check-in (I arrived prior to check-in time, so they were holding a few bags), the true quality of this establishment surfaced. Never mind that the luggage wasn't sent up to our room in the afternoon or that i waited in the lobby for 15 minutes at 7:30pm still looking for my luggage or at least a bellhop. While that was a bit annoying, the worst part was witnessing the poor attitude of Donna, the very attractive but aloof front desk employee. Her lack of initiative was only matched by her pettiness, as I noticed she refused to make eye contact with me for the remainder of my stay, including when my family came down to the lobby the following morning. I also booked a rate that included parking, which Donna acknowledged at check-in but at check out billed me separately; I assume after I got on her bad side. Even with my last polite good bye to the front desk, I felt a phony, uppity attitude from Donna, and I really can't convey the extent of how insulting it felt. I can honestly say it was the worst part of my first trip to Chicago.

The hotel is well appointed and the lobby was small but cozy. Great location as well. To be fair, most of the staff seemed very friendly, and I am not so obtuse as to not recognize my rating of this hotel is a statistical outlier. But I think most travelers, like me, would trade a few amenities for consistent and reliable service, so as to not have a "situation" that could single-handedly ruin a travel experience. Unfortunately, that was the case here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
19  Thank Amerasianboy
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I'm sitting in the hotel as I right this review and am not impressed with the room. The hotel is not modern in the least - it feels like you're staying in your grandmother's attic. Wallpaper is peeling off the wall, not well lit, very few outlets in the room -- especially convenient ones (none next to the bed or built into lamps), terrible views and loud construction noises woke me up at 7am. Even the location is off the beaten path - closest L stop is on the Red Line -- so not accessible via the loop stops on the blue line from the airport without transferring. Health club is not on site either. There are hundreds of other hotels I would stay in over this one.

5  Thank Ryan W
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife was here for a conference and I was fortunate enough to be able to tag along. We were both overwhelmed with the outstanding service and hospitality with the staff. They went above and beyond ensuring that our stay was comfortable. The room was spacious and exceeded our expectations. We would definitely recommend the talbott to anyone traveling to Chicago!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am a business traveler and never write reviews; however, my stay at The Talbott was so great I decided I need to give them a shout out. My company dictates hotels but all were booked so I ventured out and found The Talbott. The location is off the beaten path but still centrally located - reminded me of East End Ave in NYC - and very quiet. The staff were so cheerful and helpful. Introduced themselves, asked for my name, and then addressed me by my name during conversation. The room was spacious and very comfortable - and quiet. The restaurant, PT, had a small but interesting menu. The combination of flavors was not your normal business travel experience. I was a 10-minute cab ride from N. Wacker where I was working for the week. Will make this my "new" Chicago hotel.

1  Thank Levorotation
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We have been to Chicago many times and have stayed in many different hotels. This trip I picked the Talbott Hotel, because we wanted a nice suite to make it more special for our 30th anniversary. From the minute we drove up to the hotel, until the time we left-the staff was unbelievable. Friendly, helpful, and just completely took care of us and our things. The room was much more than expected. Very large with all the trimmings. Posh bedding and robes that made you feel pampered. The room was cleaned completely every morning. I have to say that we will only stay at this hotel on future trips.

Room Tip: The suite was wonderful. The rooms are very quite. We never heard anyone.