“The Talbott in the heart of Chicago”
Review of The Talbott Hotel

The Talbott Hotel
Ranked #5 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“The Talbott in the heart of Chicago”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

What a wonderful spot in a terrific location, the Talbott offers reasonable rates for this high-priced real estate.
Just off of Rush Street, couple of blox from Michigan Avenue, this offers the best within walking distance of the MCA, unless you wnat to pay Ritz Carlton prices. Rooms are good size, the front desk very helpful, and the new restaurant is awesome. Try the full American breakfast and you are good for the day!
Reminds me of a cozy European hotel.

2 Thank anns1933

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Marlborough
Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Sadly we only had one night here in Chicago, but it was memorble, Cameron at the front desk was excellent and we were fortunate to get an early check in with an upgrade to a beautiful suite.
The conceirge ws extremely helpful and made a dinner reservation for us at a grand steakhouse, with a complimnentary dessert arranged by Gene the concierge - - talk about exceeding expectations.
The room was extremely well appointed, comfortable, large bathoom with double basin, and all the detailed amenities, lovely fruit platter and delightful staff.
The only disappointment was the franchised out restaurant, breakfast was pretty awful and bore no resemblance to the quality of the hotel, certainly not SLH standard
Highly recommended hotel in this lovely city, but don't eat in

• Stayed September 2012
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just spent 4 nights at this lovely hotel. It is a real find...4 stars for reasonable rates and great rooms. The room was large with several comfortable chairs, a great bed, plenty of drawer space and charming decor. Can't say enough about the amazing staff...every single encounter was friendly, helpful and pleasant. The concierge service was excellent and available many hours each day. Location is excellent; a few blocks to Michigan Ave., an El station, a great little market and restaurants.

Room Tip: Our room faced a building next door so no view but very quiet except the morning trash was picked up...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I are a mature couple traveling with friends and I took a chance on selecting the Talbott Hotel based on trip advisor reviews!! I was not disappointed. This hotel is the perfect location close to the Magnificent Mile and the Gold Coast. We walked everywhere and were a few blocks away to the "el" and city bus- very easy. The hotel staff and concierge gave helpful information on restaurants and sightseeing. I did book online and received the $30 breakfast voucher per day. The meals were above par and quite delicious. You do have to pay attention to how much you are spending because if you go over the $30 ( per couple) you do have to pay the difference. The breakfast items and entree prices are listed on the menu, but the beverages are not- so keep in mind that they are part of the $30 limit. For your information as of this posting coffee is $4 and juices are $6.There is a great kierig coffee maker in your room if you want to save some money.
The Frette linens are fabulous and the beds are heavenly - apple tv, three phones, daily newspaper and chocolates all created the special touches.
I would definitely stay again. Excellent value for the money.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was a great location, convenient to shopping, restaurants and the train. The staff and service were excellent and the rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds. What it lacks in on-stie amenities--pool and fitness center--it more than makes up for in charm and service. The restaurant's breakfast was very good as well. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel the weekend of 9/15/12 with family. First, the good: arrived right around 3pm and check in was easy and quick. Room was very clean, and larger than I expected - you can't get rooms this size at this price anywhere else. The floor we were on was very quiet. We visited the bar and had dinner in the restaurant; both the drinks and the food were very good. Access to the building after hours was easy for guests. Room service breakfast was very good. Hotel is in a great location, on a quiet street, and the outdoor cafe is wonderful.

Now the not so good: The view from our room was absolutely horrible; when we opened the curtains all we could see was the brick wall of the building next door and a small sliver of street. The bathroom was a run-of-the-mill bathroom, and quite small. The double vanity top in the bathroom was very high-I am 5'5" and the countertop was well above my waist, and the faucets seemed very far away from the edge, which made it very diffcult to wash my face, brush my teeth, etc without getting everything splashed on me. The temperature in our room was difficult to control and our room never really got cool, no matter how much we adjusted the thermostat. The windows only open about 2 inches. I did not experience the exceptional service that everyone else seemed to rave about; in fact, I was not called by name once during my entire stay, and front desk staff seemed truculent at best. When we returned to our room quite late, we decided to order room service and were greeted with a "What do you want" from the front desk operator. Late night room service was awful; a cold, slapped-together sandwich with a bag of baked lays. Room service the next morning was better, but took more than an hour to arrive. They do not allow you to pay cash for room service - you have to charge it to your room, and good luck figuring it out on your final bill. Check out was a bit more involved because I asked them to explain several charges on my bill that I didn't recognize and they seemed reluctant to spend the time to do it. The elevators are TINY and there are only two - the four of us and our bags barely fit in it. Be prepared for elevator delays, also - seems they're also used by staff to transport cleaning equipment and garbage.

Although it sounds like this is a very bad review, it wasn't that bad of a stay. My negative points are more surprise; I would expect these things from a lower-rated hotel, but was blown away to experience them at this hotel. I have another reservation at this hotel in October (I made both reservations at the same time) for the weekend of the Chicago Marathon. Chicago is fully booked for this weekend, otherwise I would probably not stay here again. Hopefully I just experienced a bad weekend for staff and my next stay will be better. I will amend my review if the hotel does better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Michelle A
Buchanan Dam, Texas, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

OK, normally wouldn't give a hotel with no pool or work out facility (onsite but you have priviledges at one close by) a 5 star rating BUT the hotel staff was over the top accomodating! The door man is adorable and EVERYONE there made you feel like you were special. I wish I could remember their names like they remembered ours. When we left we gave a bunch of them hugs (ha! and tips!). Four of us on the trip and we ALL like The Ritz and those types of hotels but ALL agreed we would come back here on our next trip to Chicago. Location is perfect and rooms are very nice and the place is clean! 5 star!

Room Tip: Two queen room was waaaaay bigger than the king bed room.