“Wonderful Stay and Exceptional Service”

Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago
Ranked #99 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Ever since we stayed here, I have been dying to write about how exceptional this hotel is and I wanted to have the perfect wording, but I don't think there are enough words in the dictionary to showcase how lovely the Knickerbocker is.

Every Valentines Day weekend my husband and I follow a tradition... it was our first date 7 years ago on vday and we utterly love this weekend. It is a little getaway for us and lets not forget eating some great Chicago food. Dinner is always at Tavern on Rush (LOVE IT), drinks at whatever bar we like, breakfast at The Original Pancake House (yum) and the Chicago Auto Show. We never stay at the same hotel cause we like to stay all over... however, I think we have found one amazing little gem.

We picked the Knickerbocker for two main reasons, price and location. For $100 a night in the city, its a steal. Then, it is within a short walking distance to Tavern. Once we enter the building, we can tell that a wedding is going on and everybody is pre-drinking in the lobby/martini bar. I am instantly jealous, cause not only do I LOVE weddings, but this seems like an amazing hotel to have your wedding at. We check in and the front desk clerk has to be the nicest guy. He asks us if we are celebrating anything, how are commute from the Burg was, if we need a taxi to dinner, etc. Also informs us that the lobby area will clear out in about 30 mins for the wedding.

Elevator is small, but its an older hotel, and its not slow, so I'd rather it be small than opposed to slow. On our floor people are pre-drinking in the huge common area for the wedding (once again, jealousy enters my brain). Our room is just perfect and the shower was my favorite part. Pretty big for a hotel shower, rainfall shower head and an additional wand. We get dressed for our night out and visit the Martini bar. The bill is quite high, $30 for two drinks, but this is the city AND there was no skimping on the alcohol. I mean we both walked out feeling a little fuzzy and hungry for dinner.

We just loved everything about it... All of the upgrades in the room were great, loved that it was a boutique hotel, the location, the staff, etc.

I am sure we will be back next year :)

1  Thank Deej R
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review on your Valentine’s Day weekend stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you found our hotel to be “exceptional” and that you loved our central location.

We look forward to welcoming you back next Valentine’s Day, but hopefully for a stay sooner than that!

Florencio Ferrao

Write a ReviewReviews (1,137)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

The Knickerbocker hotel was the first 5 star hotel i stayed at by my self, and like Tony the Tiger says it was (Greaaat). I was surprised when i opened a drawer under the tv and saw every condiment u could imagine even a tooth brush. I opened the refrig, and saw those little bottles of licqure, I didn't open them because i don't drink alcohol. I did open some candy which cost $7. Every one says the halls are noisy, not so on the 6th floor, maybe because i was there the 3rd week of February (off season). I needed a comb so the door person told me to go a block away to a 24hr mart, i couldn't find it, so he walked me to it. The shower in the bathroom was a rain forest shower head and a shower wand with 25 water jets both of them u cant change settings, everyone is right, there is a big gap on bottom of door to hallway, lots of light comes in GO BIG KNICKERBOCKER!!!! Thanks from Mitchell Samuels ps. I will b back

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you had a great stay and that you enjoyed your room. We look forward to welcoming you back when you’re next in Chicago!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I had an excellent 5 night stay at The Millennium Knickerbocker. The staff was very professional and friendly, always helpful. One of the outstanding doormen gave us a great tip about taking the train into the airport which saved us about $50. The front desk clerk held our luggage until it was time for check-in so we could wander for a while. The staff here is the example of how hospitality should be. Overall I was very pleased with all aspects of the hotel and it was in walking distance to most places we wanted to visit! We shopped, ate, went sightseeing without having to get a taxi.

It also gets my vote for most comfortable beds ever! I seriously have never slept this well on vacation. It was like sleeping on a cloud, I really hated to leave it behind.

We now have friends in Chicago that we could stay with but I would not miss the chance to sleep in one of those bed again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We were delighted to read your comments about the staff, particularly how they are an “example of how hospitality should be”. I was happy to note that you were “very pleased” with all aspects of your hotel and that you greatly enjoyed our comfortable beds. My team and I look forward to your return to the Knickerbocker!

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay here. Though a historic hotel, I found it to be quiet, clean (excellent maid service) and a great value. Elevators worked well which is not always the case at historic hotels. Basic bar, lobby, gym, restaurant (not open for dinner so you will need to venture out but there are numerous options close by on foot). Biggest negative is parking for your vehicle as there is no self park options offered by the hotel. Valet is quite steep at $65 a night, but you do get in/out privileges. If you are looking for upscale amenities, look elsewhere, but if you are looking a good place to relax with easy access to Michigan Ave shopping at an exceptional value this is it!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate your comments on the “excellent maid service” and “great value”. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here for a special weekend in February, 2014. Staff was very friendly, rooms were clean. There was no view, but this hotel is surrounded by taller buildings. The lobby restaurant was very good, we ate breakfast there both mornings. Was very close to Chicago shopping.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel if they have any rooms with a good view.
1  Thank Deena K

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you found our staff to be “very friendly” and the Nix restaurant to be “very good”. We hope that you’ll return soon, preferably in the summer when Chicago is at its best!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I debated between a 4 and 5 rating. It wasn't quite perfect but it was very good.

The service is exceptional. Everyone on the staff was friendly and helpful. I'd like to give an extra mention to Charlie, the doorman, who not only helped us when we needed it, but made us feel extra special.

We also took the historical tour of the hotel with Paul which was informative and a pleasure.

The hotel is in an excellent location on the north end of the Gold Coast. Plenty of great shopping, dining and site seeing within walking distance, even in the winter.

Our room was small but it had recently been renovated and was nice.

They have a nice lobby / lounge area which is a great place for a casual drink.

Parking is a bit of an issue. The hotel parking is rather expensive. There are other lots nearby where you can even reserve parking. That's expensive too but not quite as bad. Just the price you pay in the big city.

Checkout is rather punctual at noon but we stored our bags until 5pm without an issue.

This is a great place to go and we look forward to a return trip.

1  Thank WFBFamily
Florencio F, General Manager at Millennium Knickerbocker Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you felt the service at the hotel was “exceptional” and that you took the time to take the historic tour with Paul.

We have done a study of hotel parking costs in the area and our prices are comparable with these hotels. The parking cost includes full valet services as well as in and out privileges.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your return trip to the Knickerbocker Hotel!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Man what a place!

Here is the breakdown.

Service:

Awesome, I needed Justin Timberlake tickets printed and didn't have access to a printer. The front desk man (Sam) was great! He told me to send him the tickets in email and printed them. Didn't have to wait. On top of that he was ready to answer questions and even got us a cab when we needed one. If you are the GM of this hotel, Sam should get a raise.

We didn't deal with other staff so can't really comment on them.

Value:

Got a deal on Hotwire and paid like nothing. Great deal.

Sleep Quality:

Had a huge bed with a comfortable mattress, slept great (even after a few drinks).

Cleanliness:

This hotel is so clean that a soap bar gets jealous.

Location:

Well if being a block away from the Hancock Tower and beach isn't for you, I don't know what is. Perfect location!!

Rooms:

Perfect size, clean, gorgeous bathroom. We had a desk and they even had a computer in our room! Oh not to forget the bar fridge with everything in it.

Overall:

You will get royal treatment for the price of nothing by staying here. The hotel is older but definitely worth it. I can't wait to comeback in August with my kids :).

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayner76

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thorough review on your recent stay with us. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our Assistant Front Office Manager, Sam. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your entire stay and that you felt that you received the “royal treatment”. We look forward to welcoming you back when you return in August!

General Manger