“Faded - but great location and great value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Drake Hotel

The Drake Hotel
Ranked #78 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
London, England
“Faded - but great location and great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

The Drake should be a world class hotel as it has so much going for it. Location is the best in Chicago - opposite Bloomingdales, near Rush Street, overlooking the beach. It has history and a definate sense of granduer. That said, it is now looking a bit tired. The public areas are OK, but the rooms have a little wear and tear (but are still certainly very acceptable). Service is also a bit surly at times. That said the price seems to reflect this. We paid about $350 per night for a junior suite. To me this is excellent value. We tend to stay in more expensive places than the Drake - but the location and style of the Drake make it our regular stop in Chicago.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (796)
  • Turkish first
South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

The Drake is a lovely historical hotel in Chicago. Recently renovated, the hotel looks fabulous. My room was very comfortable with a great bed, a big bathroom and windows that opened allowing for some fresh air on the first nice day of spring. The staff is very professional and gracious. In the lobby, a harpist plays music in the afternoon during tea. A very nice touch for those who enjoy this type of service. There is a great coffee shop in the ground floor that I recommend for breakfast or lunch. The location is excellent as well.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We arrived at midnight on Thursday (still here but only because prepaid). Bed had not been changed from previous occupant - pubic hairs etc in the bed, no top sheet. Informed front desk. Informed them again after 30 minutes and no sign of anyone. Maintenance man came to see what the problem is. Came back 10
minutes later with sheets which were in fact duvet covers. Told the duty manager the next morning. No apology, no statement of embarrassment - nothing. I would highly recommend NOT staying here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
thedrakechicago, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Dear Trip Advisor, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We certainly apologize for any inconvenience you were caused during your stay as it is our intention to provide every guest with a completely satisfactory stay. We do, in fact, use duvets on our beds which provide a bottom sheet and a duvet with a double sheet duvet cover. These have been very well received by our guests. The bottom sheet and duvet covers are changed regularly during a guest's stay based on their preference and are certainly changed after a guest has departed. For guests who prefer to also have a top sheet in addition to the duvet, we also place a separate sheet, along with a blanket and extra pillow in the closet of every room. Please be assured we would never check a guest into a room which had not been cleaned from the previous occupant. We hope we can welcome you back to The Drake in the future, and if you will contact me directly, I will make sure you have a most enjoyable stay. Tom Thomas, General Manager
Chapel Hill, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

As a Hilton Gold VIP HHonors member for the past few years, I generally have been very happy with the serivice I have received from the various Hilton hotels in Chicago, New York City, Washington, D.C, and San Diego. I was looking forward to staying at the Drake; we had visited the hotel in the past for dinner and drinks. Unfortunately, after my recent stay, I doubt I will go back again. We travel there at least 4 - 5 times a year, so we've stayed at several comparable hotels and know that Chicago has many other options.

The Pros
1. Wonderful location! You are a close walk to Mag Mile, Gold coast, and River North shopping and dining. Lincoln Park is a short (~10-15 minute $8.00 cab ride) drive away. The Oak Street Beach is within walking distance for running.
2. Terrific conference/catering services: The food and service was wonderful during our meeting. The staff in catering was professional and very accomodating; this further highlighted the discrepancies in service in all other areas (please see below). I definitely would return to the Drake/recommend it to others for their meeting/catering facilities.
3. Beautiful lobby, bar, and dining areas: bar/restaurant staff professional and prompt.
4. Heavenly Beds and linens were extremely comfortable--some of the best hotel beds I have slept in recent memory! LaSource bath amenities also are very nice. Room was very clean, althought the carpet/upholstery was a bit worn.

The Cons:
1. As a Gold VIP HHonors member, I requested an upgrade. I have never had issues with this request (which is a part of being a member) at other hotels (i.e. Hilton Gaslamp San Diego, Chicago Conrad, Millenium Hilton NYC -- terrific service in this regard!). I was told that I could not be upgraded to an Executive level room because "they were not available" (yet other folks in our conference party who were not HHonors members did get rooms on the Executive floors). In addition, since I didn't require a complimentary breakfast, I asked (twice) if there was any way I could receive complimentary internet instead. I was told this was not possible unless I "downgraded" my room (which seemed unreasonable, since the room I was in was on a lower floor -- 4th floor -- with only a partial lake view but a great view of the heating vents). I was told I could speak with Hilton HHonors customer service. The customer service representative contacted the manager (Tom Thomas), but I never received the courtesy of a response. I really would have liked to opportunity to make what I thought was a small request (free internet versus an executive floor upgrade).
2. Cleaning staff: On two consecutive mornings, the cleaning staff entered my room ~ 9 AM without checking to see if I was still there. Luckily, I am an early riser.
3. Front desk staff seemed professional enough but clearly not particularly warm/ amenable to moving beyond the cursory motions of helping (see above). They also made an error of charging me for a mini-bar item when I had not taken anything from it. They reluctantly removed the charge.

Overall, the Drake has many great qualities. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location with wonderful facilities and a terrific catering staff. in addition, the rooms are clean and the beds are terrific. Unfortunately, the front desk staff, lack of response from the General Manager despite my attempts to contact him, and the lack of basic courtesies (as a Hilton HHonors member) left me a bit perturbed. I do hope that the Drake can rectifiy these issues. Until they do, I would look elsewhere first at other hotels in the area (i.e. Hotel Burnham or Monaco, Hotel Intercontinental Historic tower, Swissotel, Conrad).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
thedrakechicago, Manager at The Drake Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2009
Dear Trip Advisor, thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Drake. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel's meeting and catering services as well as our guestroom cleanliness, beds and amenities. As I believe you will agree from the majority of our reviews we exceed our guests' expectations in terms of our service and product. Also, as you noted, The Drake is ideally located in the city. It was, however, very concerning to read about the diffuclties you experienced during your stay and you can be assured these will be addressed. I am not certain who the customer service representative was who indicated they contacted the General Manager but unfortunately I was not aware of the problems you were facing. I regret one of our Assistant Managers who are on duty 24 hours a day were not able to assist you. Please feel free to contact me directly by email with the details of your stay so that I may follow up internally as to the issues you reported. (tom.thomas@hilton.com) Thank you. Tom Thomas, General Manager
Dallas, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

The Drake really has it all - you're across the street from Oak Street beach, can walk to many great rstaurants, John Hancock is 2 blocks away.

Service was impeccable, room was very nice - paid extra for a Lakeview, the lobby & restaurants were all so grand.

Thought also quite economical - considering all you received.

Look forward to staying again.

It was a 10.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

A group of us stayed at the Drake Hotel over a weekend in April. It is a great historic hotel. If you stay here, you should be because you like historic hotels, not because you want ultra modern. The rooms are nicely appointed, but you can tell it is a historic hotel. The lobby is beautiful and has some interesting nooks and crannies. The breakfast brunch buffet is also very good and a decent value. The location is also great, making it an easy walk to get anywhere in the city. I would stay here again the next time I am in Chicago.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
south carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

This was a wonderful hotel! The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable! The location at the beginning of the magnificent mile was perfect. We were able to walk everywhere. This hotel was everything we hoped it to be! We ate at Gibsons and it was the best steak we ever had!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple