As a Hilton Gold VIP HHonors member for the past few years, I generally have been very happy with the serivice I have received from the various Hilton hotels in Chicago, New York City, Washington, D.C, and San Diego. I was looking forward to staying at the Drake; we had visited the hotel in the past for dinner and drinks. Unfortunately, after my recent stay, I doubt I will go back again. We travel there at least 4 - 5 times a year, so we've stayed at several comparable hotels and know that Chicago has many other options.
1. Wonderful location! You are a close walk to Mag Mile, Gold coast, and River North shopping and dining. Lincoln Park is a short (~10-15 minute $8.00 cab ride) drive away. The Oak Street Beach is within walking distance for running.
2. Terrific conference/catering services: The food and service was wonderful during our meeting. The staff in catering was professional and very accomodating; this further highlighted the discrepancies in service in all other areas (please see below). I definitely would return to the Drake/recommend it to others for their meeting/catering facilities.
3. Beautiful lobby, bar, and dining areas: bar/restaurant staff professional and prompt.
4. Heavenly Beds and linens were extremely comfortable--some of the best hotel beds I have slept in recent memory! LaSource bath amenities also are very nice. Room was very clean, althought the carpet/upholstery was a bit worn.
1. As a Gold VIP HHonors member, I requested an upgrade. I have never had issues with this request (which is a part of being a member) at other hotels (i.e. Hilton Gaslamp San Diego, Chicago Conrad, Millenium Hilton NYC -- terrific service in this regard!). I was told that I could not be upgraded to an Executive level room because "they were not available" (yet other folks in our conference party who were not HHonors members did get rooms on the Executive floors). In addition, since I didn't require a complimentary breakfast, I asked (twice) if there was any way I could receive complimentary internet instead. I was told this was not possible unless I "downgraded" my room (which seemed unreasonable, since the room I was in was on a lower floor -- 4th floor -- with only a partial lake view but a great view of the heating vents). I was told I could speak with Hilton HHonors customer service. The customer service representative contacted the manager (Tom Thomas), but I never received the courtesy of a response. I really would have liked to opportunity to make what I thought was a small request (free internet versus an executive floor upgrade).
2. Cleaning staff: On two consecutive mornings, the cleaning staff entered my room ~ 9 AM without checking to see if I was still there. Luckily, I am an early riser.
3. Front desk staff seemed professional enough but clearly not particularly warm/ amenable to moving beyond the cursory motions of helping (see above). They also made an error of charging me for a mini-bar item when I had not taken anything from it. They reluctantly removed the charge.
Overall, the Drake has many great qualities. It is a beautiful hotel in a great location with wonderful facilities and a terrific catering staff. in addition, the rooms are clean and the beds are terrific. Unfortunately, the front desk staff, lack of response from the General Manager despite my attempts to contact him, and the lack of basic courtesies (as a Hilton HHonors member) left me a bit perturbed. I do hope that the Drake can rectifiy these issues. Until they do, I would look elsewhere first at other hotels in the area (i.e. Hotel Burnham or Monaco, Hotel Intercontinental Historic tower, Swissotel, Conrad).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- No other Chicago hotel has inspired more legendary acclaim on par with The Drake. This timeless property affords guests easy access to the city's most exclusive shopping, nightlife and dining.A fully equipped fitness/wellness center, business center and meeting rooms are available (surcharge). The stunning Gold Coast Room can accommodate 600 guests.Afternoon Tea at The Drake Hotel is as Chicago as a hot dog at Wrigley Field or a ride on the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier. High society has always recognized The Drake Hotel as the quintessential social hotspot. Princess Diana, Queen Elizabeth and the Empress of Japan have all been seen in the Palm Court.Though The Drake has progressed both architecturally and technologically over the past 93 years, the roots of The Drake Hotel run deep beneath Lake Shore Drive into Real Chicago. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Priceline, Prestigia, Agoda, Jetsetter, Hotel.de, HRS, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your The Drake Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Drake Hotel Chicago
- Hilton Hotels Chicago
- Chicago Drake Hotel
- Drake Hotel Chicago