“Don't let these negative people scare you away!”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #79 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
San Diego, CA
Reviewed May 15, 2005

Stayed at the Drake for four nights and had a great experience. If you travel to Chicago, especially in the warm weather months, I can't imagine spending much time in the hotel anyway!! Staff was helpful and polite - although I didn't have many special requests except for a cot which was delivered promptly. The valet staff and doormen were excellent with directions, advice, luggage, etc. Just be sure to call down in advance (15-20 minutes) and your car will be ready to go.

Rate was $129 a night prepaid - can't beat that.
Great location on North Michigan Avenue! Shopping, Restaurants, Etc.
Check-in was fast and painless.
Bags were delivered to the room quickly.
Valet was $30 / night
Room was nice, clean, quiet, and roomy enough for two men.
Nice bathroom with lots of room, good water pressure, and hot water.
Lots of towels and nice bathrobes.
View was nothing special from our room.
Construction across the street causes some traffic congestion in front of the hotel.

Bottom line: Beautiful hotel with great character and an attentive staff. It is not the Ritz or the Four Seasons, but for the price you can't beat it! There may or may not be a health club, and I can't comment on the food as I never ate there. The Drake is a perfect base camp for a trip to Chicago - hundreds of restaurants, bars, stores, and sites to be had within walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for The Drake, A Hilton Hotel

Georgia
Reviewed April 26, 2005

We spent this past weekend at the Drake and LOVED it! Excellent service all the way around from the front desk to the bellman. We had a deluxe room and was just the right size. We have stayed at other hotels on Michigan Ave and the rooms were alot smaller at the other hotels. The location of the Drake is perfect. We will stay at the Drake the next time in Chicago. We would not think about staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

We checked into the Drake the last weekend of March. It was one negative experience after another. Check in person was cold to say the least. Seemed very bored and unwelcoming.
When we got to our room we found that it had not been fully cleaned. The bed was made and surfaces were clean however when we went to the mini bar it was dirty and had to been restocked. There were black hand prints on all the doors and stains everywhere.
The room was also freezing cold but the thermostat was not working so we called down to reception and asked for the room to be cleaned and the temperature to be adjusted. An hour later, plus three phonecalls someone finally came up. Room was cleaned but apparently nothing could be done about the heating. It had just been switched on and we were told it would take approximately an hour for our room to heat up.
The final straw was when the people in the room next of us arrived. They may as well have been sitting in our room we could hear absolutely everything, word for word.
Overall a very disappointing experience and definitely not worth the money. What you are paying for here is the prestige of the Drake and unfortunately they do not deem it necessary to invest in anything else!

• Stayed: March 2005
11  Thank Berrycm
chicago, illinois
Reviewed April 6, 2005

the drake is still a chicago landmark and in the upper tier of chicago hotels, however the years have taken a toll on this once classic landmark. the lobby, though nice, is dated with carpet that needs to be repaired as well as main floor elevators that are also outdated. subtle things such as the paint in the hallways and the look and feel of room doors and design also need work. Paint is chipping off of the doors, the carpets in many hallways look worn and, in our case, the AC in our room did not work.

Perhaps the biggest indictment of the drake is that it simply cannot hold a candle to the four seasons and pennisula hotels in chicago. A stay in either one of those hotels puts the drake to shame. This is important to note because the drake does consider itself to be a hotel of that caliber.

While the name still signifies a classic, the Drake hotel has dropped in stature behind a number of other chicago luxury venues.

• Stayed: September 2004
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2005

I read prior reviews on this hotel and almost cancelled my res.
How glad I am that I did not. This is truly a beautiful hotel,
the lobby has all the splendor of a Ritz hotel in Europe...
The room and bath were lovely. We were on the 9th floor
of the hotel with a fabulous view of the Lake.
We loved the Club service and bar on the 11th floor. It had
everything, including a great view.
I will stay there again first chance I get. It is near alot of
beautiful shops and restaurants....

• Stayed: March 2005
10  Thank alchu
Raleigh NC
Reviewed March 24, 2005

I just came back from a week stay at the Drake for a business meeting. I came back to my room the second day to find my room flooded. The pipes had burst and everything in the closet was soaked in brownish type water! This included my hanging clothes, coat, my suitcase, shoes actually everything but the clothes I had on. I was told they would send my clothes to an express cleaners but I did not get them back until after 9:00 am the next morning with my suitcase and shoes still missing. I had to be at a meeting at 8:30 and had nothing to wear but what I had on the day before. I was moved to another room which was noisy because the room next to it had flooded! Finally I was moved into a decent room.
I had to go to the front desk numerous times and they insisted my suitcase was in my room and had to bring them up to the room to prove it was not!
I feel they were only somewhat sympathetic to what had happened and that I was really just a bother. They did compensate me with a dinner, a breakfast and a movie. And that was only after I insisted because I was stuck in their hotel and could not leave to do anything. I had not coat and it was to cold to go out without out one. It was a very memorable visit.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
Reviewed March 17, 2005

This hotel is beautifull. The last renovations brought back glamour and magnificience to the grande dame! The staff is exceptional and trully cares unlike other higher end hotels. They will always go above and beyond to make sure you are enjoying your stay! A very unique place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business