“Classic Chicago Hotel”

The Drake, A Hilton Hotel
Ranked #79 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The Drake is a classic Chicago hotel. It definitely has an older feel to it from the restaurants, bars, lobby and rooms. And by older, I do not mean bad. The room was large and had a very nice view of the lake and lake shore drive looking north. I also had a very nice sitting area in the room. The service was great and the breakfast in the morning was excellent. The location was also perfect, especially if you are going to be around the north Michigan Avenue area. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
StefanGruvberger, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2014

Thank you for your very kind review of The Drake Hotel on TripAdvisor. I was pleased to read that you experienced The Drake Standard of service. I hope you were able to take advantage of the location. From the Mag Mile to the lake, you truly can't beat The Drake's fabulous address on North Michigan Avenue.

There are newer reviews for The Drake, A Hilton Hotel

Reviewed May 13, 2014

When you drive up the staff awaits you and takes your car in a friendly and efficient manner. I left my blazer in the back seat. It was immediately retrieved from the car and delivered to my room. Even the dog in the hotel flower shop welcomed me. This is a wonderful hotel with a gracious way of treating people that has disappeared from much of contemporary society.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed May 12, 2014

The Drake wasn't too bad. It's a "traditional" hotel--not very hip but certainly acceptable. The location is fine at the top of the Magnificent Mile right near all the stores which provide top notch shopping--Prada, Vuitton, Botega Veneta, Tom Ford, etc. My junior suite provided a nice view of the Lake with the beach and the highway thrown in. The furniture as expected was clunky and without style. The bathroom was nothing special but the bed was nice.

The public rooms were fine (I was there for a conference) and the service was generally very attentive. The shops were nothing special. I wouldn't stay there again and as my generation grows older these type of hotels will disappear. I had a similar reaction toward last month's stay at the Waldorff in NYC.

That being said, it is a "good" hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your candid feedback toward The Drake's atmosphere. We do share several similarities with the Waldorf in New York, though I was sorry to read you aren't fond of historic properties. I hope you have the chance to visit us again and truly take advantage of the location.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had not been here for years, decades actually, staying instead in "business oriented" hotels. On this April family reunion visit,it was obvious the grand old hotel has aged gracefully. While not newly restored, the rooms were well maintained, and the dark, cozy bar was warm and welcoming, a great place to gather and visit with family. The morning breakfast choices were ample and staff was welcoming and responsive. With views of the lake and location on Michigan Avenue, it provides a great place to stay while enjoying Chicago.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Nice room with two batrooms. Felt very spacious compared to the Peninsula, although obviously not as sleek. Good location for shopping on Michigan Ave. and Rush Street restaurants.

I was very disappointed they closed the main hotel entrance and access to parking for an hour due to a guest's wedding. Otherwise service was polite.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
StefanGruvberger, Manager at The Drake, A Hilton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to the historic Drake Hotel. The location of The Drake is by no accident, almost 100 years ago The Drake family saw the potential in the Gold Coast when it was just a landfill and now, our location provides our guests with some of the best shopping and restaurants in the world. Thank you for taking the time to review The Drake and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My daughter and I stayed here back in February for a little overnight birthday getaway to the American Girl Store. It was a must to stay downtown, and close to the store, as I felt it would add so much more to the experience. The Drake is a beautiful and timeless hotel. We were able to get a good rate with a winter special they were having, that included a greatly-reduced valet parking (the only way I would stay downtown) fee and a couple of Drake mugs with hot chocolate to enjoy in our room. Of course, my daughter was so excited about the treat. The gal checking us in told us to call room service for hot water. When I called for it, they asked why we didn't just use our microwave. I was disappointed, and told them to forget it, but they said they'd be up. It came delivered in a very pretty silver pot on a tray...much more special than using the microwave. There was a bellman, Gabriel, that was very kind and helpful with any questions we had. My nine year-old daughter said, "I like how that guy was calling you 'Miss'. When I asked her why, she said, "I don't know...It's just so proper." :) We also ran into Emil, with security on the elevator, whom was very nice. Front desk staff was fine. Not exceptional, but fine. I look forward to staying here again...not because of special attention or service (Gabriel being the exception), but because of the charm and history that you just don't get with newer accommodations.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Recently stayed here for a surprise Birthday trip. The location is great for this hotel....basically at the start of the strip. It's close to shopping and many restaurant options as well as Hancock tower, etc. To be honest, aside from the location, I really found myself a little disappointed in the hotel. We paid nearly $400 a night for the hotel and at that price, I feel I shouldn't be finding water stains on our tables. I get that they are trying to keep true to the era of which the hotel was built, it was kind of a fail. The main lobby is gorgeous. The elevators are cool with the benches in them. I feel like for the price I'm paying for the hotel, I shouldn't really be seeing frayed cushions, tables with water stains on them. Additionally, it was like and employee house party in the mornings. I was already awake anyway, but was surprised to hear some employees yelling at each other thru the hallways. Their voices were definitely carried! Had I not already been awake, I would have been completely annoyed! We did eat breakfast and found it to be really good! They cooked eggs to order. Had a lot of fruit options! Additionally, breads and bakery, potatoes, pancakes, bacon, etc! I believe it was $27 per person. We also went to the bar late one night. I did notice a few eye rolls from one of the bartenders. Not sure if they were being rolled because of us or because of the patron who walked up to the bar and asked for something and they were in the process of closing up. I was a little put off by that as well. I don't feel there was a single employee that stood out to us. From the moment we arrived thru to check out. Everyone seemed indifferent to me. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are small. The bed was comfy. Lastly, my last trip to Chicago was at the end of December (2013) and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco (with my daughter). Although it's not right on the strip, I would absolutely choose the Hotel Monaco over the Drake hands down. If you're wondering why I didn't go back to the Monaco to begin with, my husband booked this trip as a surprise for my Birthday. The Monaco was fabulous from the moment we stepped into the property until the moment we said goodbye! I wish I could say the same for the Drake. While it wasn't the worst, at nearly $400 a night, I most certainly wouldn't return to the Drake.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamey_mj

Thank you for taking the time to review The Drake hotel on TripAdvisor. I truly appreciate your detailed observations of our property and was disheartened to hear that you did not experience The Drake Standard of hospitality. I can assure you, what you witnessed is not the day-to-day operation here, and I would like nothing more than to speak with you directly to make this right. Please, if you could email me your contact information and the best time to reach out I will do so at your earliest convenience.